C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Original '57 - what's a mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I had never thought about getting the car judged, since that is not my interest. However, these gentlemen make a great point. By getting the car judged, you will know exactly where you are with the car and what to do. I would personally fix it and drive it, and never have it judged again. But I would get it judged initially, so that I would be made aware of any potential issues I would otherwise possibly screw up by 'fixing' it. Sounds to be like it'll need a basic engine overhaul (NO decking, as stated), new exhaust, new clutch, new clutches in the posi, new tires and belts/hoses, new brakes, and good to roll. I removed the original corroded hydraulic brake items on my '61 and saved them for future reference, but simply bolted on Rock Auto parts that arrived at my door. Brakes in a day. Keep the neat photos coming!!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
If the car is truly untouched I would proceed with caution. Clean the car within an inch of it's life. Get the car running and see what it may need to run and drive. Replace only what absolutely has to be replaced. Leave the rest alone

It is only original once, when it's gone you can't get it back.

Bill
Old 08-23-2016, 12:58 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
I would have the car judged before I do anything. NCRS, or BG, judges can point out things that you might never notice. Once you start taking things apart you're basically screwed.

Even an aggressive cleaning would screw this car up.

If you need something to do you can start by changing all the fluids, including the brake fluid. NOTE: Do Not use Silicone fluid.

You want to get the car operational without changing any parts.

I would plan on not doing anything for at least a year. Take to it NCRS shows and collect advice from the judges.

I though my '58 was mainly original until I started working on it. Wow - was that an experience. I can't tell you how many redneck fixes I found.

Richard Newton
Why in the world not use silicone brake fluid? I believe it is actually better for collector cars, as it doesn't absorb water. I've had it in my '67 for 15 years with GREAT results.

All you have to do is to flush the system with denatured alcohol before using it, so as to not mix it with regular fluid. In his car I'm sure that would be a requirement in any case since it has been sitting so long............ My guess is that the rubber seals etc in the brake system on this car probably now have the consistency of stale Jello after sitting for so long, and will need to be replaced anyway. IMHO that is the perfect time to switch to Silicone fluid.

What's the problem?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 08-23-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: addl comment
Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM
VETT457
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
57'S are one of my favorites. I owned 9 of then back in the day.

I see you are from El Dorado, California, home of NOLAND ADAMS. Great guy having some senior health issues.

You need to meet JIM LOCKWOOD, who lives in Pollock Pines. He is a long time NCRS member and Corvette owner. His wife has a 58. Jim ''knows'' solid axel Corvettes. I have his phone number if you PM me, I am happy to forward.
This piqued my curiosity. I just learned Noland knew my Dad. He with others had seen the car on several occasions. Perhaps Jim Lockwood was one of them.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

This just gets better and better...very interesting!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 612 Likes on 334 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great Aztec Copper car. When you have a chance, look two places for original paint color that hasn't been exposed to the elements; inside the glove box and if you decide to remove the seats and carpet, you will find overspray on the floor boards.

Originality question: take a look at the weatherstrips and tell me if you find an S inside a diamond shape that is molded into the rubber. These logo's will be spaced at various intervals on the door mains, deck lid, trunk lid and hood ledge that meets the cowl when shut. If you find any of these, they are the original weatherstrips and should be preserved if at all possible.

Panama 58
Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
VETT457
Racer

Originally Posted by Panama 58
Great Aztec Copper car. When you have a chance, look two places for original paint color that hasn't been exposed to the elements; inside the glove box and if you decide to remove the seats and carpet, you will find overspray on the floor boards.

Originality question: take a look at the weatherstrips and tell me if you find an S inside a diamond shape that is molded into the rubber. These logo's will be spaced at various intervals on the door mains, deck lid, trunk lid and hood ledge that meets the cowl when shut. If you find any of these, they are the original weatherstrips and should be preserved if at all possible.

Panama 58
I mentioned in another post regarding the paint that it is similar to a freshly minted penny - the current issue that has a pink tint. I noticed this in places behind the door panels. I'll try to get a CYMK and hex match for display correction at some point.
The weatherstrip marks are as you say - image attached. They are spaced on the longer pieces such that only 2 are visible on the trunk left and right side center.
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

This is like an archaeological dig, but more fun! Fascinating stuff. Neat, seldom-seen color combo.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM
VETT457
Racer

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This is like an archaeological dig, but more fun! Fascinating stuff. Neat, seldom-seen color combo.
I'm glad I began this process here. I never placed much credence in enthusiast forums until now. I'm learning a lot and enjoying this "dig" quite a bit.
Something else to add I didn't mention early on, this car was built soft top delete.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

This forum, technically, is one of the most advanced forums I've ever been on. There are people here who really do know about anything and everything you'd ever want to know, very high caliber and high-functioning folks. On the other hand, there can be a fair amount of ribbing and jabbing at one another from time to time as personalities clash. But the details these guys know about is amazing....and their willingness to help out is, too. Glad you're taking baby steps as you uncover your car's history/provenance. As I said, I'm not a show or judge guy....I'm a throw-it-together-and-beat-on-it guy. But your car is a very,very rare case.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Man! That is an awesome car.... Aztec Copper has to be rare... no?

Have you washed it yet? Lets see!!!!!

In the hierarchy of value... unmolested survivor cars with their original paint are pretty high up the food chain. That is why everyone is telling you to do as little as possible.

Best of luck!!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:27 AM
VETT457
Racer

Originally Posted by Revfan
Man! That is an awesome car.... Aztec Copper has to be rare... no?

Have you washed it yet? Lets see!!!!!

In the hierarchy of value... unmolested survivor cars with their original paint are pretty high up the food chain. That is why everyone is telling you to do as little as possible.

Best of luck!!!!
Considering what I've learned here, maybe I should have left the dust on it
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Get out your wife's vacuum cleaner and you can "re-dust" the car with whats in the dust bag...
Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

That is Sexy!
It looks like the rims are body color too!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by VETT457
Considering what I've learned here, maybe I should have left the dust on it
That photo represents the color I found on my A C 57, but have never seen that color represented on other 57 A C cars. A new penny was my first impression, interesting to hear that exact same description.

Cool pic!!!!!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

This is a historically significant car, and should really be documented as such.

You have a factory 270hp, 4 speed 57, in a fairly rare color.

Getting some local "NCRS type" people would be a good start.

Perhaps the biggest thing to do at this point is go through the car and figure out / document what is no longer factory original (like tires, belts, hoses, clamps, etc.)

Congratulations on a beautiful car.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

I mentioned in another post regarding the paint that it is similar to a freshly minted penny - the current issue that has a pink tint. I noticed this in places behind the door panels. I'll try to get a CYMK and hex match for display correction at some point.
The weatherstrip marks are as you say - image attached. They are spaced on the longer pieces such that only 2 are visible on the trunk left and right side center.
Exactly what you want to see. Does the original still exist on the hood? When you have the hood up (open) it will be at the top of the hood, or in other words when closed it will be the end towards the rear and at the cowl. If it's still there, I would like to know where along the length of the w/s the logo is located.

PS- you will also see at the cut ends of all of the weatherstrips a small white (yellowed) spec of material. This is a cord material that was laid into the freshly poured rubber to provide support along the spline of the w/s. Obviously, when the w/s was cut to fit you can still see the end of the cord.

Get notified of new replies

To Original '57 - what's a mystery?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 AM
VETT457
Racer

Originally Posted by Panama 58
Exactly what you want to see. Does the original still exist on the hood? When you have the hood up (open) it will be at the top of the hood, or in other words when closed it will be the end towards the rear and at the cowl. If it's still there, I would like to know where along the length of the w/s the logo is located.

PS- you will also see at the cut ends of all of the weatherstrips a small white (yellowed) spec of material. This is a cord material that was laid into the freshly poured rubber to provide support along the spline of the w/s. Obviously, when the w/s was cut to fit you can still see the end of the cord.
Yes, all the pieces are there. I'll get photos and details for you.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Revfan
That is Sexy!
It looks like the rims are body color too!
Yep. '56 and '57 wheels were body color (white may have been an exception with red interior) until they changed to silver in '58.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Yes, all the pieces are there. I'll get photos and details for you.
May I ask one more favor. If you could take a few pics of the door mains at the top where there should be a little metal clip that goes over the cut end. This would be just below the window and to the side of the exterior door handle. There is always a bunch of confusion as to how this should look for judging. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [C1] Original '57 - what's a mystery?