C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 cooling system leaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Firemedic1966
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 62 cooling system leaks

Took my 62 out for a drive last night...maybe 1/2 hour and temps reading fine, car running fine. Pulled it in the garage and noticed some coolant on the floor. Upper radiator hose was leaking at radiator. The PO put tower clamps on so I adjusted/tightened the clamp. Went out today to pressure test system and still leaking at upper hose. I replaced the tower clamps on upper hose with worm style clamps and leak stopped (or so I thought ) pressured system to 13 pounds and now leaking coolant from lower hose heater hose! Now I am going tonreplace tower clamps on lower hose and replace the heater hose clamp as well. I have read where the tower clamps are usually junk...and I have original style clamps on heater hoses as well...Is this normal?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Firemedic1966
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pressurized the system and heater core blew....looks like I have some work to do
Old 09-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Some of the repro tower clamps are junk....

Make sure you buy a QUALITY heater core -- some of those are junk too...
I've actually some repros put together with some sort of epoxy...bad news...
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Firemedic1966
Now I am going tonreplace tower clamps on lower hose and replace the heater hose clamp as well. I have read where the tower clamps are usually junk...and I have original style clamps on heater hoses as well...Is this normal?
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

I have tower style hose clamps on the radiator hoses of my vintage racer and have never had a problem with them.

You might have a burr or some other defect in the radiator nipples which might promote a leak.

Jim
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

X2 on repro tower type clamps. Spring clamps, too. Used original are always a better choice,if in good shape. Worm type clamps are fool-proof (I use them) but are far from correct appearing!

Get notified of new replies

To 62 cooling system leaks

Quick Reply: 62 cooling system leaks