C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] SWC on Mecum Auction last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:15 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,037 Posts
Default SWC on Mecum Auction last night

A 63 SWC went for $66,000 last night in the Mecum Auction out in CA last night.

It was blue with a 327. Missed all of the details, and they didn't talk about it much. They talked about 300 hp and 250 hp, but I didn't catch which it was. Didn't hear if it was numbers matching.

Seems a little low, or is it just that it was a low HP small block and not a BB?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Auctions are crap shoots - that's low money IMO unless something is amiss...
I don't watch these circus acts nor set much store based on single unit results...that doesn't make a 'trend'...

It doesn't help that Dana's fees on both sides are approaching 1/4 of the sales price.
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Circus acts push to create narrative that all split windows are worth the same. We all know, like women, each and every car is different and cannot be lumped into same basket. You can get a general ideal of value of course, but without looking, like Frankie says, crap shoot at best. Just my 2c on this caffeine filled sunday morning! One more comment, never understood why people cheer at a ridiculous high price.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Prices on these cars are falling like rocks, especially on the cars with the least market interest, i.e. the ones with base engines and few options. As described in other threads, there is little interest in these cars by people that did not live through the era when they were new.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 AM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

What do you mean by "these cars"? Haverty's valuation tool shows my 66 BB flat to slightly rising over the past 2 years.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The 'iconic' cars will always have a following...vintage Ferraris, E-type Jags, split window coupes, Bugati's. They transcend just being interesting facets of transportation history and have evolved into the category of mechanical art due to their aesthetic or legendary aspects.

Don't believe anybody that tells you different...
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Frankie is right - Auctions are circus acts. There is no way to tell what is going on. Between 3rd party bids and cars that are owned by the house it's all one big scam.

I've covered auctions for several magazines now. Auction coverage is a huge deal. The auction houses buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of ads every month. That means the magazines can't report on the scams.

RM wouldn't give me credentials last year at Amelia and went to my boss to complain about my coverage. My reaction was "That's it - I'm out of here."

I've reached the conclusion that auctions have truly damaged what was once a nice hobby. All of the TV hype has people believing that they're watching the real deal. They're not.

btw - I do believe in the Hagerty valuation tool though. It's far from perfect but it sure beats looking at auction results.

Richard Newton
Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

I sat at a Russo Steele auction once with a guy reping Keith Martin. He had an interesting part time job. This was before the big run up of the last 2 years but his take, every dog has his day but good cars well maintained and of some pedigree hold better than the rest. He was just as amazed as I was and expecting a correction. Smart guy.

Steve
Old 09-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I dont see cars dropping like rocks, I see the fall on the East Coast and it happens every year. Cars that were 60k in March are down a little now but come next March after everyone has been inside for the Winter and the BJ auction is on TV all day, that same car will be 65k. Its the time of year people had their fun and dont want to see it just sitting till Spring.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Frankie is right - Auctions are circus acts. There is no way to tell what is going on. Between 3rd party bids and cars that are owned by the house it's all one big scam.

I've covered auctions for several magazines now. Auction coverage is a huge deal. The auction houses buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of ads every month. That means the magazines can't report on the scams.

RM wouldn't give me credentials last year at Amelia and went to my boss to complain about my coverage. My reaction was "That's it - I'm out of here."

I've reached the conclusion that auctions have truly damaged what was once a nice hobby. All of the TV hype has people believing that they're watching the real deal. They're not.

btw - I do believe in the Hagerty valuation tool though. It's far from perfect but it sure beats looking at auction results.

Richard Newton
I spoke with McKeel Hagerty on how they come to their valuations on their website, he said that it was based on public transactions ie. auction results and not private sales. The problem with that is the very best of the best examples trade privately and for amounts much greater than what they sell for at auctions or what value guides say they are worth. I do agree that their value guide is just that and is far from perfect.

Last edited by SBR; 09-25-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SBR
I spoke with McKeel Hagerty on how they come to their valuations on their website, he said that it was based on public transactions ie. auction results and not private sales. The problem with that is the very best of the best examples trade privately and for amounts much greater than what they sell for at auctions or what value guides say they are worth. I do agree that their value guide is just that and is far from perfect.
The opposite is also true. There are truly good deals that sell privately as well. Either way, it doesn't seem anyone responding knows the details of the Mecum 63. It would be interesting to know such.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Was this the car you asked about:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-24...-window-coupe/
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
I think it is. I was half asleep and didn't hear any details as far as restoration, drive train, frame off, miles, interior, or etc.
About the same info the link provides.

Get notified of new replies

To SWC on Mecum Auction last night

Quick Reply: [C2] SWC on Mecum Auction last night