C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how does C2 front fender cutout lip look

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:10 AM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the measurements are very close but I wonder why the lip/bonding strips are so far off. it seems like some body needs cut off but that shouldn't be. I need to inspect a car. Are there any members close to me in Anderson, SC.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ohpoppy
the measurements are very close but I wonder why the lip/bonding strips are so far off. it seems like some body needs cut off but that shouldn't be. I need to inspect a car. Are there any members close to me in Anderson, SC.
Where are you placing/positioning that parking light strip?

Clamp it in place and shoot a picture and post it here.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:15 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Last edited by ohpoppy; 12-17-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:22 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

here it is
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's the way it goes. The tip of that bonding strip is at the bottom, about 6 o'clock in the parking light housing.

Have you removed and ground out all of the old bonding strip and associated adhesive from the inside of the parking light panel and fender?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:43 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

I installed a new bonding strip up there not realizing this one fits underneath. I will cut the top off the lip/bonding strips.

I am completely confused in what you explained. Isn't the lip area of the bbonding strip supposed to follow the contour of the edge of the parking light panel? you can see it isnt even close. I don't know whether I need to build out the bottom of the panel to meet the strip or cut away the middle of the panel because it is past the strip. I need to examine another car and take many exact measurements.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Poppy, I'm not sure what you have going on there.

Before you cut anything else, or start grinding on anything, I'd get somebody who knows Corvette bodies out there to look at what you're dealing with.

Step back and go look at a couple of original cars and see what things are supposed to look like.

Something is seriously wrong and/or way out of whack in that front end.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 AM
ohpoppy
Instructor

yes.. I agree

I've been trying to find a local car to inspect. I have attempted to find a car to inspect through the local corvette club but nobody is responding..

I don't think a body expert is required.. just a car to inspect. I hate putting the car on hold, I have even considered buying new parking light panels just to inspect and copy, and then returning them if i can reproduce its shape
Old 12-18-2016, 05:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am completely confused in what you explained. Isn't the lip area of the bonding strip supposed to follow the contour of the edge of the parking light panel?
yes it does but if you carefully look at the seventh photo you posted in POST #8. I can see clearly that the radius of your wheel well is not correct. Thus....this bonding strip will not fit perfectly.

you can see it isnt even close.
I agree...but this car has had some previous damage which can be clearly seen. And as like I wrote above due to the radius...it can not be expected to fit correctly.

I don't know whether I need to build out the bottom of the panel to meet the strip or cut away the middle of the panel because it is past the strip. I need to examine another car and take many exact measurements.
For what it is worth...do 'what looks good'. Not one person will be able to tell something is wrong...unless you are the OCD type and have to have everything factory perfect. If that is the case....then the pop rivets holding on your radiator support brackets to the inner skirt should not be there....they should be solid aluminum rivets.

You might measure out a dozen cars and see that there may be differences in this area.

And any advice I can give you being bodyman. If your car were in my shop....I would use the point where the facotry fiberglass is the furthest away as my stopping point and then laminate up any area of the panel were it was ground back by someone. Put the wheel on it and check it and so on. I can tell you that just because you have a new bonding strip DOES NOT mean that it is 100% correct. I get press-molded parts in from time tot time that do require some modification from time to time. They are not like 'Lego's'

go with what looks good....becasue if you buy a new park light panel...it may be off and you are now dealing with that. Do not let this get to you...which it seems like it is doing. I have been right where you are at and learned a LONG time ago...what needs to be done...even though if I let my 'head' get in the way...it throws me off track and I get nothing done.

DUB.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

yes Dub, I am spinning my wheels. I may have to make some compromises but I want to completely be aware of how these cars are. I do believe something was added but suspect something was removed below. I need to inspect another car. The pres of the local corvette club did return my email, he has a 64. lets see if he can find time for me real soon. if not maybe I can come to you Dub.

this car had flairs up front. it also was lightly hit on the drivers side at one time which likely accounts for the pop rivets. while in storage the owner broke the center nose area. I may or may not replace the rivets but it is important that the body looks right. its a original FI car with matching numbers. it was a very rough car but rust free.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

yes Dub, I am spinning my wheels. I may have to make some compromises but I want to completely be aware of how these cars are. I do believe something was added but suspect something was removed below. I need to inspect another car. The pres of the local corvette club did return my email, he has a 64. lets see if he can find time for me real soon. if not maybe I can come to you Dub.

this car had flairs up front. it also was lightly hit on the drivers side at one time which likely accounts for the pop rivets. while in storage the owner broke the center nose area. I may or may not replace the rivets but it is important that the body looks right. its a original FI car with matching numbers. it was a very rough car but rust free.

Hopefully you can inspect a car locally.

DUB
Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Poppy.

Here's a pic of a midyear front wheelwell. This is a 66, but they're all the same.

Notice the contour in the front.

I can see in your photo... the one holding the parking light "bonding" strip, that much of the front of that wheelwell has been ground away. You can see the jagged/ragged edges.

Not sure how much is missing. Dub gave you great advice.

He knows his stuff.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Chuck Gongloff; 12-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

[QUOTE=Chuck Gongloff;1593690927]Poppy.

Here's a pic of a midyear front wheelwell. This is a 65 or 66, but they're all the same.

/QUOTE]

Chuck

... if it is really a 427, then it must be a 66...

Bill
Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
Chuck

... if it is really a 427, then it must be a 66...

Bill
Yep, I grabbed the pic off the internet and posted it without looking too closely at the fender flags and logo.

You caught me. I went back and edited my post so now it's 100% accurate.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

I resolved this by laying a piece of cardboard against another car then tracing the opening onto it. It was exact and the bonding strip fit perfectly when I replicated it on my car. Did one side and it looks great. thanks everyone for your help... especially Greg, my local club president.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I resolved this by laying a piece of cardboard against another car then tracing the opening onto it. It was exact and the bonding strip fit perfectly when I replicated it on my car. Did one side and it looks great. thanks everyone for your help... especially Greg, my local club president.

Post some pics so we can pick it apart...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

I'll post some next week but it can't be criticized since it is perfect.. just like the unmolested car I copied it from.

Get notified of new replies

To how does C2 front fender cutout lip look

Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I'll post some next week but it can't be criticized since it is perfect.. just like the unmolested car I copied it from.
Hell..its got to be better than what you started with...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:23 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

its right..

the lower area on my car was unmolested. the problem was 3" below the lips end and up. the body was removed at the bottom of the bonding strip. it was obvious to me when I looked at the other car.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Default here's are photos after my repair.. looks perfect to me..thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: how does C2 front fender cutout lip look