C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 with C4 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 05:54 PM
PhilG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 with C4 suspension

Has anyone done a C1 conversion to the C4 suspension, like Paul Newman or used a prefab tube frame and later C4 suspension on a C1 car? I need some advice.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:19 PM
jron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C1 with C4 suspension (PhilG)

Yes, I am in the process of doing my 62. I did a Paul Newman Conversion & used all 96 suspension with a ZZ4 crate motor & 700R4. I would highly recommend Paul. He does excellent work. There are some things that you will need to work out on your own or go to some other places to purchase. I have my chassis finished & am now working on the body. You can e-mail me for more info & pics. Let me know info you are after.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: C1 with C4 suspension (jron)

I've got a 57 with a SRIII motorsports tube frame.
It is flat out awesome!! I'M me if you need any info on this package.
Mike at SRIII is a great guy to work with. :cheers:
Old 09-20-2002, 09:58 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: C1 with C4 suspension (Duntov-097)

You have to check this out - very interesting conversion.... great car - good info http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index6.shtml
Old 09-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Hi phil this is a project I am planning to do also I am in the negosiations on a 1962 with a shot frame.I was wondering to all who have done this prior.
What made you chose the tube frame over the standard frame is it just the cool factor?
I want to do a big block and a auto trans. I will be following this post closeley
Old 09-21-2002, 08:19 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 841 Likes on 457 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Phil:

I just finished my '62 frame conversion about a month ago. Mine was done like the Newman conversion except I did all of the fabrication myself.

At Carlisle this year there were several vendors selling tube frames and a company (from Texas I think) that has a rectangular tube frame that looks sort of like an original C1 frame except the side rails are doubled and it has no "X" member. A friend of mine bought one of these frames, which is supposed to be delivered in October, so I can get you more specific information on it if you wish.

One of the main differences between the tube frames and the Newman conversion is that the suspension is narrowed on most of the tube frames - at least the ones I looked at before starting my project. That means that in the rear you have to shorten the half shafts and the tie rods and use a non-stock spindle support rod (camber adjustment link). Because of the narrowed track, most of the tube frames do not use the stock C4 front crossmember like the Newman conversion does, but bolt the front control arms directly to the frame. The tube frames usually use coil-over shocks whereas with the Newman system you can use the stock transverse springs in front and rear. The narrowed track on the tube frames probably makes finding wheels/tires that will fit under a C1 body an easier proposition. Both systems have pros and cons. I went with the Newman type mainly because I wanted to stick with the stock suspension pieces.

If you are going to have your old frame converted, Paul Newman is probably the best, in my opinion. Paul is an extremely nice, helpful guy and the workmanship on his frames is excellent.

If you are thinking of modifying the frame yourself, you can look at my website ( web.infoave.net/~cbernhardt/c1frame.html ) and, if you have any questions about how I did mine, I would be glad to help.

Charles

Old 09-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: C1 with C4 suspension (Ih2lose)

h8 to lose

I chose the tube frame mostly because I drive my car hard and wanted the weight savings and did'nt really want to modify a 40+ years old frame. IMHO even the best frames have been weakened though 40 years of use.
Buying a new frame to convert was just to expensive for me. I also like the coil overs on all four corners on my tube frame

My rear suspension is stock width allowing me to run a 16X8 wheel with 2 1/12 inch front spacing and a 245/50/16 tire. Any 16X8 93-03 F-body wheel will work. This gives you a huge selection of aftermarket wheels. narrowing the rear track will allow you to run a wider wheel and tire.

Both options have pros and cons, but they all seem to have one thing in common. The people who do it love them.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:16 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Phil,

If you want more information on a Newman conversion just drop me an e-mail. I'd be glad to try and help.

Rich Lagasse

Get notified of new replies

To C1 with C4 suspension

Quick Reply: C1 with C4 suspension