C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] A Few Convertible Top Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:01 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Default A Few Convertible Top Questions

I have a friend with a hard top only car (64) and wants to make a list of things to make it a convertible top also. I know the rear deck needs to be cut for new latches, has anyone done this and is there a template of sorts ? Is there a "preferred supplier" of the frame, seems there are new reproduction and reconditioned options.

Also, if you put a reconditioned folded top frame in a box, can anyone take a reasonable guess at the dimensions of that box ?

Last edited by daz_au; 01-17-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Contact Coffman Corvettes (I can't put their info here as an NSV so do a web search) they are the premier supplier of complete Corvette tops/frames and will tell you everything you need to do...
Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I honestly feel that nothing will need to be done to the body because the car came with a convertible top and top frame....because the hard top was an option.

If it is truly different than that...then it must be one of the crazy option delete cars that GM put out.

DUB
Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 PM
daz_au
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
I honestly feel that nothing will need to be done to the body because the car came with a convertible top and top frame....because the hard top was an option.
Yeah its a real hard top only car, apparently not that uncommon for California delivery. Look close at the deck, you can see the small through holes for the hard top, but its missing the larger convertible top latches that most cars have.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

AMAZING!!

So when the deck lid is up...there is no visible signs from the underside that the holes that would hold the convertible deck lid latches have been filled in???

Not disputing you...just amazed.

DUB
Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
Yeah its a real hard top only car, apparently not that uncommon for California delivery. Look close at the deck, you can see the small through holes for the hard top, but its missing the larger convertible top latches that most cars have.
Daz ... open the deck lid and look underneath ... there will be cut-outs in the inner frame of the deck lid where the soft top latches go. You just have to cut out that pattern in the top layer of the deck lid. All C2 convertibles have the cut-outs in the frame, and hard top only cars did not have the top of the deck lid cut out for the latches.

The attachment plates on each door pillar are also installed ... ready to bolt on your new convertible top. Fyi Bill
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2017, 02:09 AM
daz_au
Pro

Originally Posted by NightshiftHD
All C2 convertibles have the cut-outs in the frame, and hard top only cars did not have the top of the deck lid cut out for the latches.
Great, thanks for the info. All I have to figure out is the best way to do that without messing it up ! It would have made it a lot easier if all the cars came with both
Old 01-20-2017, 08:58 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
Great, thanks for the info. All I have to figure out is the best way to do that without messing it up ! It would have made it a lot easier if all the cars came with both
I'd mark the hinge locations on the deck lid, then remove the lid and lay upside down. Then use a die grinder with a carbide burr to route out the latch holes to match the cut-out in the inner frame. Easy peasy. Cheers, Bill

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 01-20-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Or I would use my shop vac and route it out and leave the deck lid in place...just one less thing for me to worry about....but I am rather good with using and controlling power tools.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To A Few Convertible Top Questions

Quick Reply: [C2] A Few Convertible Top Questions