C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Clutch RnR

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
I have to drop mine to replace the throw out bearing. I have a removable crossmember. I'm hoping that reinstalling will be easier since I'm not removing the clutch itself. The alignment should stay the same. Yes?

The clutch disk will stay aligned with the pressure plate but you will need to align the input shaft with the disk
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RoudyRick
The clutch disk will stay aligned with the pressure plate but you will need to align the input shaft with the disk
Which means getting the angle just right. So half the battle....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It's really not that difficult, you just raise and lower the trans while applying pressure forward. The process hasn't changed since the 55 chevy
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

When you install the clutch and linkage adjust BEFORE you install the transmission to make sure all the parts are correct and the linkage geometry is correct. You will not be the first person to have to remove again after all the hard work replacing the clutch. I had one that the pressure plate was not shimmed correctly and with free play it would not disengage properly. When no free play, the pedal travel was enough to drive the car so be careful.

If for some reason you have a problem aligning the transmission input shaft with the clutch splines have someone push the clutch pedal in and the disc will move to allow slight misalignment to correct.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:04 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Another thing is remove the shifter mounting plate that is bolted to the transmission. That will make going back in a lot easier.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ILBMF
Another thing is remove the shifter mounting plate that is bolted to the transmission. That will make going back in a lot easier.
Depends if he has a early or late 66
Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tbarb
I had one that the pressure plate was not shimmed correctly and with free play it would not disengage properly. When no free play, the pedal travel was enough to drive the car so be careful.

If for some reason you have a problem aligning the transmission input shaft with the clutch splines have someone push the clutch pedal in and the disc will move to allow slight misalignment to correct.

That is misleading, you can't "shim" a pressure plate only adjust the throwout arm pivot ball.

Bad idea having someone push in the clutch to get the trans aligned with the disc. That's why you use an alignment tool before you tighten the pressure plate. pulling a shift arm is safer.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by RoudyRick
That is misleading, you can't "shim" a pressure plate only adjust the throwout arm pivot ball.

Bad idea having someone push in the clutch to get the trans aligned with the disc. That's why you use an alignment tool before you tighten the pressure plate. pulling a shift arm is safer.
This was a reconditioned pressure late, the shims I am talking about must have been used to effect height after turning the plate (inside the assembly) . The clutch was sent out again, rebuilt and came back fine and is in the car to this day.

You can depress the clutch to align the splines in the disc with the input shaft even after using a alignment tool it can make a stubborn assembly easier.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I've had a lift for about 15 years and I recently used it to pull a transmission out of my GTX, but I always pulled the one out of the Corvette while parked on jack stands. It always seemed less likely I might lose control of it nosing it out of the bell housing register and have it fall on my foot. But one concession I've made is a little wooden skid that I lower the transmission on to during removal

I can lower the front on to the tall upright end of the skid - leaving the back hooked over the cross member - grab the tail and shove it forward and lower the tail on to the rear upright. Then just drag the whole thing out from under the car.

To replace I slide it under the car - lift the rear up and hook it over the cross member, lift the front up and slide it the rest of the way back and maneuver the input into the bell housing - pull it forward and hook it on the dowels in the top transmission mount holes and take a breather. This way I only have to lift one end or the other of the transmission at a time so basically I'm only lifting half it's weight.
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Very cleaver! I hope I don't need to pull my trans again for a LONG time. My days of doing that much work are fast slipping by
Old 02-24-2017, 12:28 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

been there, done that and doing now at 66 due to leaking freeze plug behind flywheel...grrrr taking quite a bit longer this time

Quick Reply: [C2] Clutch RnR