C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 and C3 Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:44 PM
wpbailey
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The only jack I have here is an 81 jack, which fully collapsed is 15" wide.

Since 1970, the Corvette Parts Books have indicated that the 69-82 jacks can be used in place of earlier jacks, by using the longer hold down spring. I can't say for sure if the later jacks will fit in the 63-67 well, but Chevrolet seemed to indicate that they will?
Is there anything in the parts books about what the dimensional differences are. I would like to know if the screw in the C3 is longer than the C2 jack. I know the base is larger which is why the spring needs to be longer. I [/I][U]think[I][U] the screw is also longer than the C2. If that is true - the C3 is about a 1/2 inch too long to fit in the C2 well. Can you verify that based on the information that you have?

One other thing - Did the part number change of the C3 run? I am wondering if some C3 jacks were different sizes meaning that maybe some would fit a C2 and others may not?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 PM
wpbailey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AkrHack
I believe the 69-75 jack base plates were 9" x 5" with a top plate which measured 5 1/2" x 2 1/8"

Starting in 1976 the base was 9" x 4 3/4" and the top plate was 5 1/2" x 1 3/8".

I'm not sure about the 68 dimensions. All I know is that the base is smaller and more like the C2 jacks.
Thank you - I am getting closer to the answer. You don't know how the screw length compares between the C2 and C3 do you?

I think that is the critical dimension that will determine if the C3 will mount in the C2 jack holder is the screw length. The C2 jack pretty much fills the space in the well from side to side. A C3 screw that is longer than the C2 will force the screw to hang over both sides of the well and it will not fall down far enough to make contact with the jack mounting point. With the jack not going all the way down in the well, the cover for the well will not lay flat either. Any help with the screw length would be helpful.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by wpbailey
Is there anything in the parts books about what the dimensional differences are. I would like to know if the screw in the C3 is longer than the C2 jack.
The Parts Books don't give any dimensions for jacks.

As I said in my earlier post, my 81 jack is about 15" wide fully collapsed. I don't have access to a mid-year jack right now, but I would think someone on here would be willing to measure their mid-year jack for you.

On 68-82's the battery is in the compartment behind the driver's seat, and the jack's behind the passenger seat. To fit in the compartment, the jack is placed at an angle.

One other thing - Did the part number change of the C3 run? I am wondering if some C3 jacks were different sizes meaning that maybe some would fit a C2 and others may not?
The jack and part number changed in 1980, but I'm pretty sure the jack itself wasn't all that much different, than the one that had been used since 1969.
The following users liked this post:
wpbailey (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 PM
wpbailey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The only jack I have here is an 81 jack, which fully collapsed is 15" wide.

Since 1970, the Corvette Parts Books have indicated that the 69-82 jacks can be used in place of earlier jacks, by using the longer hold down spring. I can't say for sure if the later jacks will fit in the 63-67 well, but Chevrolet seemed to indicate that they will?
Thanks for the information. The C3 jack that I am looking at is 15 5/8" long. That makes this specific early C3 jack too wide to fit in the C2 well. It is about a half inch too long. My conclusion is that C3 jacks must have come with at least two different screw lengths (widths). The shorter one fits and the longer one doesn't. The one that I am looking at is an early C3 jack and it is too long to fit in the C2. That solves the mystery for now. Unfortunately, I do not have the specific part number for the C3 jack that has the longer screw (width).

Maybe this thread will help out others looking for C2 jacks.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

My experience has been that some of the early c3 jacks were a bit too long to properly fit in the c2 storage well. It was the lenghth not the width that was the issue.

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 and C3 Jacks