C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Good definition of "NOM"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:33 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

ctjackster,

great points you raised! many thanks for adding to what I started trying to say (not so eloquently) - I'm an NCRS guy also, and as Gator mentioned, chose NOT to restamp the engine I found for my 1963 Z06 "restoration"

BTW - everything is "numbers correct" for my car - correct block #, within 6-month window on date, correct "RF" suffix, etc. - only thing I did not do was change the VIN - VIN is about 3000 off from my VIN tag - it has the ORIGINAL heads from the car, and lots of other components are also ORIGINAL - they have been restored
Old 12-03-2004, 09:35 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Gator,

fergit to ask when you were at Tony's if you saw LADY? Tony has had her a month and hasn't done a danged thing! Not that I would be driving her or anything! (VBG)
Old 12-04-2004, 06:13 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love when I read the classified in the local paper or on-line and they state "Completely Original - just restored"!

Rick, I too respect that you have always been 100% up-front about your car and you could have easily done otherwise. I also agree that the car was only original once, and that was when it was new and on the showroom floor.

I have the original block in my car, however, due to wear and freshening it up, there are new pistons and rings, bearings, cam, cam bearings, valves, springs, seals, etc. etc. So technically it is a "rebuilt" original motor (not to mention all the other "restored" or replaced parts). However, there is no point deduction for that in the judging process. In a perfect world, it should not just be that originality applies only to those parts which are visible to the naked eye. However, if that were the case, the whole judging process would require completely dismantling a car which would be rediculous.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:37 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also give this thread a two

I learn some valuable information from this thread -- Now I know I can claim that the 350 CID is the original engine in my 39 Ford Coast to Coast, along with the 700R4 transmission since we put them in when we built it!! My ad could go something like this!!

For Sale 1939 Ford Totally Original Car - Chevy 355 CID - 700R4 - Full Independent Suspension - Chevy Rear end – Bucket Seats – Removalble TOP
Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

^^
THAT would be an abuse of the still sacred term "original"

Old 12-04-2004, 08:55 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Joe,

thanks for the "way too kind compliments" - I agree with what you stated about "changing the innards out, etc." and that being a BITCH from a judging standpoint - guess bottom line for me, just wish everyone would fess up to what they really have done to their car and the judging within NCRS probably needs to start reflecting something along these lines

YEAH, I know I am kicking dirt on sacred ground!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.ncrs.org/forum/archive18.cgi?review=145897

my thoughts in that thread expressed under my name, Jack Whittle. I think "Lady"'s owner was in on that thread too . . .
Old 12-05-2004, 11:45 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Joe,

thanks for the "way too kind compliments" - I agree with what you stated about "changing the innards out, etc." and that being a BITCH from a judging standpoint - guess bottom line for me, just wish everyone would fess up to what they really have done to their car and the judging within NCRS probably needs to start reflecting something along these lines

YEAH, I know I am kicking dirt on sacred ground!
That's why the NCRS judging standard for the block was revised years ago so the stamp pad doesn't carry all the weight it used to; of the 613 points for the block, the pad only carries 88 points - 25 for the engine plant stamp, 25 for the VIN derivative, and 38 for the pad surface. In the overall scheme of things (4500 points for the whole car, and you can lose 270 and still Top Flight), the pad isn't that big a deal.

At Bloomington, there's no mercy - if the pad isn't right, you lose ALL the points, and can't make Gold. NCRS has a more enlightened view; even with a blank or totally wrong pad, you can still Top Flight if the casting number and date are correct for the car.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as used Corvette dealers keep hyping the 'matching numbers' b/s to ignorant Corvette buyers, there will continue to be a big profit in outright fraud.

When buyers stop paying the big $$$ differential for 'matching numbers' (instead of the true condition of the car), only then will it stop the fraud.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
RODMAN409
Advanced

You know the whole value of clones point is so true. I've attended several auctions this year and have also seen the clones take off in value. Example: A 1969 camaro COPO clone at the Barrett Jacson LA auction over $100,000. A 1970 CUDA HEMI conv. at the Dallas Kruise auction, also a clone, well over $100,000. Certainly these numbers would have been much higher had the cars been original but the fact remains that the clones are also bringing big bucks. I'm going to the Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale in January and ever though the numers aren't realistic they still give you an idea of which cars are gaining the most in value.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:07 PM
ZRGator
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Gator,

fergit to ask when you were at Tony's if you saw LADY? Tony has had her a month and hasn't done a danged thing! Not that I would be driving her or anything! (VBG)
Didn't see Lady there when I was there...you musta brought it in after I was there cause Lord knows I saw everything else in his shop. I still can't get over what an empire he's created there. And I thought it was gonna be just another low budget car sales/garage type joint. Jeez, I love it when I'm wrong. Makes me want to work there when I retire.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 AM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts
Default I could not disagree more

The engine is the heart of the car, it is one important component of what makes up a car: body, chassis, engine. I would be happy to own a C2 with a rebuilt original (to that car) engine. Replacing the engine with the same kind (original to the C2 model) must be stated as NOM, it cannot be stated as "numbers matching" because that is intentionally misleading us to believe it is the Original Motor that came with the car. I am confident most, if not nearly all Corvette owners and buyers share the logic of this view.

It is unethical and in some cases illegal to not disclose what parts were replaced during the restoration. Bunk

Originally Posted by magicv8
I disagree.

Restoration is restoration. By your definition repainting the body, replacing the radiator, or replacing the seats is fraud.

If someone sells a car as restored, and maintains that the radiator, seats, or engine is original, that is fraudulent if any have been replaced.

If they display the car as restored, or sell it as such, and make no claim as to the originality of the parts, that's a used car.

Caveat emptor applies to used cars. Having said that, you should know I have owned my c2 for 17 years and do not intend to sell it. I have no vested interest in my opinion.

PS Somewhere along the trail, people got the idea that swapping engines during restoration is a sin. The carb and the trans in a c2 should also carry the vin. I don't see car enthusiasts complaining about having restamped carbs on their engines. IMO the big deal with the engine is in the mind of people who have cars with documented original engines and want exclusivity, or people who buy these cars undocumented (and a lot cheaper) and find out they have more money than brains (if they think they are getting a steal on an original car). People who show or drive them shouldn't have a care. I don't.

The moral dilemma faced by sellers who do not want to disclose what parts they know have been replaced is easily solved by web/consignment sales. Those who choose to lie may also be breaking the law if they are selling, but keeping silent is only a sin of omission.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk
The engine is the heart of the car, it is one important component of what makes up a car: body, chassis, engine. I would be happy to own a C2 with a rebuilt original (to that car) engine. Replacing the engine with the same kind (original to the C2 model) must be stated as NOM, it cannot be stated as "numbers matching" because that is intentionally misleading us to believe it is the Original Motor that came with the car. I am confident most, if not nearly all Corvette owners and buyers share the logic of this view.

It is unethical and in some cases illegal to not disclose what parts were replaced during the restoration. Bunk
So you went back 11 years to find this thread to poke at this?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

looks like he popped in from the C7 forum to spread enlightenment. In his 14 months on the CF he KNOWS that ALL Corvette owners and buyers MUST agree with him.
God Bless America!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

All I can say is WOW......
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk

Given the amount of threads of this same topic that have been started in the 11 years since this thread was responded to last, there's no need to post to this one. You could even start a new one.
The following 4 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
67-427ci (02-08-2016), 71scgc (02-09-2016), Bunk (02-08-2016), corvetteed (02-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Good definition of "NOM"