C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Green Knob Battery Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green **** Battery Disconnect

Shouldn't the green battery quick disconnect **** be attached to the positive side of the battery? The 63 SW that I won has it attached to the black negative cable.

Second question - Does anyone know why a Sears Die Hard Battery Charger (75 Amp Start, 12 Amp fast charge, 2 Amp slow charge) will not even recognize the battery let alone charge it. I bought the battery at "BatteriesPlus +" and the sales slip says it is a "SLI 24-7". It also describes it as "12v 24 Auto X Taut Auto 07 SLI". It is brand new because I replaced the battery that was in the car when the above charger would not charge it. Now it won't charge this one either. I also in between batteries exchanged the charger at Sears in case it was a bad one. Still no luck.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:03 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Green **** on negative battery post is correct.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Are you connecting the "green wheel" when you're hooking up the charger?

Also, the green wheel technically belongs on the NEG cable, BUT many, including myself put it on the POS cable side. You have to ream out the connection to make it fit. It's easier to reach that way.

I got rid of my green wheels...too many problems. Replaced them with "knife switch" style WIRTH CO disconnects. Chuck
Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

As Chuck said, It's easier to get to on the positive side and electronically it does not matter as an open is and open.... Chuck I thought it was just me but I had one of those green disconnects go bad on me.. I just replaced it but now you have me rethinking it.... Dave..
Old 01-22-2005, 12:51 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those green **** are okay but the **** tends to loosen with vibration and the threads strip and wear out also. I've got a knife switch like Chuck on my car and boat and have no problems. The Knife,throw or Frankenstein switch is a solid simple old fashioned design that works great. Any side of the battery terminal will be fine for the **** or knife.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've melted the plastic insulation on 2 green wheels, one on my 54, the other on my 63. If you have a "hard starting" car, you'll generate a lot of heat. NO PROBLEMS with the knife. Chuck
Old 01-22-2005, 05:00 PM
wjbritt
Advanced

Default Source?

Anybody got a source on the knife switch? I just bought a "green ****" and was going to put it in when I do my battery swap
Old 01-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The J C Whitney catalog has them. There's a fellow who advertises in the NCRS Driveline who sells them too. Chuck
Old 01-22-2005, 05:09 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

I've been using the "Green Wheel" disconnects on my 2 collector cars for over 15 years and have never had a single problem. The nice thing about them is that you can take the **** completely out and that serves as an anti-theft feature.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:27 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

I accept what you say, but I can't follow it technically. If the current from the positive side is seeking ground and gets to the negative terminal which is disconnected, everything is great. But if somewhere enroute there is a short, it doesn't have to get back to the battery negative terminal, it would just drain out at the short along the way. Where am I missing something?
Old 01-22-2005, 05:32 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Yes, I connect the battery by turning the green wheel clockwise before trying to charge it. I thought that was the procedure.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just went down to the garage to retrieve the knife switch - in it's package - that I bought 6 years ago to replace the "green-knobber" that's in the "Pink/Linc" (since 1992 & still working) when it wears out it's a #20138 TM-8 Top Mount Safety Switch manufactured by WirthCo Engineering, Inc. Minneapolis, Mn 55439.
Side terminal # is 20128 ST-9
Cruz
Old 01-22-2005, 07:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The reason for placing it on the negative terminal is to completely eliminate the ground potential (path back to the battery) from any part in the car; if you've ever dropped a wrench and had it touch both the positive battery terminal and an exhaust manifold, you'll know what I mean. If the ground path back to the battery is interrupted, you can touch the positive battery terminal (or that side of the switch) to anything on the car and it won't spark or create a short. If the switch is on the positive battery terminal, it stops current flow through the harness to all the loads, but you can still create a spark/dead short from the battery side of the switch to anything that's grounded, since the ground circuit is still complete.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Stick
Racer

If you want to use J.C. Whitney, from the internet, the top mount is under ZX733444R for $23.99.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The reason for placing it on the negative terminal is to completely eliminate the ground potential (path back to the battery) from any part in the car; if you've ever dropped a wrench and had it touch both the positive battery terminal and an exhaust manifold, you'll know what I mean. If the ground path back to the battery is interrupted, you can touch the positive battery terminal (or that side of the switch) to anything on the car and it won't spark or create a short. If the switch is on the positive battery terminal, it stops current flow through the harness to all the loads, but you can still create a spark/dead short from the battery side of the switch to anything that's grounded, since the ground circuit is still complete.

John I'm having a hard time following your explaination. Could you elaborate on this. If the either side of the battery is disconnected it should not be an issue. I don't understand... Dave..
Old 01-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I had the "green ****" deal but I removed it. I was having intermitent starting problems caused by a poor connection at the ****. I just drive the car and the battery stays charged!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:08 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wjbritt
Anybody got a source on the knife switch? I just bought a "green ****" and was going to put it in when I do my battery swap
I bought my knife blade off of the NCRS web site but now I see them in Advance Auto.

Back to the original post, you put them on the negative side. That way you can NEVER short to ground causing a short or a fire. It is a tight fit but the best way to go, imho.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Green Knob Battery Disconnect

Old 01-23-2005, 11:05 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
John I'm having a hard time following your explaination. Could you elaborate on this. If the either side of the battery is disconnected it should not be an issue. I don't understand... Dave..
With a switch installed, only the CABLE side of the circuit is disconnected; the battery terminal posts themselves (and the battery terminal side of the switch) are still connected to the battery. If the switch is on the positive cable, you can still dead-short from the positive battery terminal to ground, as the negative cable (which grounds everything in the car) is still in place. If the switch is placed on the negative battery terminal and disconnected, there is no ground potential anywhere in the car to create a short, and the only way to create a spark or a short is to short directly across the battery, from one terminal post to the other, which is unlikely (hard to do inadvertently).
Old 01-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by JWD01
I've been using the "Green Wheel" disconnects on my 2 collector cars for over 15 years and have never had a single problem. The nice thing about them is that you can take the **** completely out and that serves as an anti-theft feature.
I've had these "Green Wheels" on each of my C3s for over 10yrs and not a single problem. Maybe the "older ones" were better???
Old 01-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

The service life has been good for me. No problems.

Quick Reply: Green Knob Battery Disconnect