C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Green Knob Battery Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
John I'm having a hard time following your explaination. Could you elaborate on this. If the either side of the battery is disconnected it should not be an issue. I don't understand... Dave..
not true.....
by only disconnecting the positive side the negative side still has an electrial path throughout the entire car as John is saying. That path doesn't go back to the battery itself as it's diconnected from the positive side but the ground path is actually still there and if you were to accidently touch the positive terminal to anything that also touches ground you will have a very unpleaseant surprise.
On the other hand, if you disconnect the negative terminal (use of the green wheel) you now completely eliminate the ground path. There can be no shorts or drains accuring this way as there is no ground path throughout the car since it was disconnected from the negative of the battery.

Pretty much the same reason that if you jump start a car you should always hook the positive cable up first than the neg. If you do it the opposite and hook up neg first and than accidently touch the positive to something expect to get thrown about 15 feet back from the car!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

what I can add is that I have the green **** on my 65 (negative terminal, in the event you are taking votes on that) and no issues whatsoever. Going with a knife-style switch is all well and good, but my green **** in my pocket gives me some good feeling about where my 65 is located at all times - right where I left it. Don't know that too many car thieves walk around with an extra green **** just in case they encounter such a thing . . . .

Last edited by ctjackster; 01-24-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Green Knob Battery Disconnect