Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Opinions on '66 Vert Stingray for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on '66 Vert Stingray for Sale

Opinions on this one please:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Convertible-with-both-tops-matching-CA-car-runs-drives-looks-great-/131392360501?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e97985035&item=131392360501&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Seems, from the photos, to have a very clean underside, free from even surface rust. Looking for an original driver, '65-'67, blue/blue, a Southern California car is a plus. Would prefer the 350HP engine, but it is difficult to get everything on your wish list in one car. Budget is about $45K, Not sure where the price will go with about five days on the clock.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
ohiobengals
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C2 Fan

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray | eBay

Seems, from the photos, to have a very clean underside, free from even surface rust. Looking for an original driver, '65-'67, blue/blue, a Southern California car is a plus. Would prefer the 350HP engine, but it is difficult to get everything on your wish list in one car. Budget is about $45K, Not sure where the price will go with about five days on the clock.

Thanks,
Marc
I saw the pictures of it earlier. Sounds like a great car. I think he is going to meet the reserve and more, but you don't know. The car is on the C2 Registry with a little more information.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray | eBay

Thanks,
Marc
Car looks nice in photos with only some small finish & assembly errors in the restoration. Low option car with hardtop. Nothing says if it's the original engine, only says "numbers matching" Unless there are some unknown issues, I think it will go over $45k.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Default Update - Listing Pulled due to . . .

Listing was ended. I spoke to the seller and inquired if he has sold the car. Apparently he was made aware that the engine block was re-decked and re-stamped. Not a numbers matching engine as advertised. He was planning to approach the last owner in LA about the issue, where he had bought it three years ago. Told me that he paid "numbers matching price".
He may list it at a later date.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Listing was ended. I spoke to the seller and inquired if he has sold the car. Apparently he was made aware that the engine block was re-decked and re-stamped. Not a numbers matching engine as advertised. He was planning to approach the last owner in LA about the issue, where he had bought it three years ago. Told me that he paid "numbers matching price".
He may list it at a later date.
To be clear, it was decked, not re-decked. And if it was re-stamped, it probably was technically "matching numbers," just not original. Semantics, but all these words mean something. If the previous seller said the engine numbers were "matching," they probably were. The issue is whether he presented the engine as original.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

It's kind of a shame but the term "numbers matching" really doesn't mean much anymore. It does not mean original "born with".
Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 PM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Default Semantics

Thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected.
Marc
Old 01-06-2015, 12:49 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Might be an opportunity for you to make a run at the car. It might go a little cheaper than otherwise if the seller no longer thinks the car is "numbers matching".
Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sold at 45k

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Might be an opportunity for you to make a run at the car. It might go a little cheaper than otherwise if the seller no longer thinks the car is "numbers matching".

car sold at 45k per Tom, nice guy
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Check out my thread here...
C1s C2s on Craigslist
Old 01-09-2015, 09:42 AM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Default Great Thread

Originally Posted by Revfan
Check out my thread here...
C1s C2s on Craigslist
I will try to reach the seller of the '66 Nassau Blue Stingray from Suffolk to see if it is still available. Probably sold long ago since the listing was from late October and the price was right ($38K).
Old 01-11-2015, 11:34 PM
C2 Fan
Intermediate

Default '66 Nassau Blue Roadster sold in October for $38K

I will try to reach the seller of the '66 Nassau Blue Stingray from Suffolk to see if it is still available. Probably sold long ago since the listing was from late October and the price was right ($38K).
Spoke to the seller, said that his car sold almost as the listing hit for $38K.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
If the previous seller said the engine numbers were "matching," they probably were. The issue is whether he presented the engine as original.
If the original engine (born with) was decked and than re-stamped (numbers matching) would this not be a "original numbers matching engine"
Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Napoli classics bought the car
http://napoliclassics.com/inventory/...e#.VMQrSi6jFJk

Here is a photo of the engine block stamping when I had asked the pervious owner for it.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
If the original engine (born with) was decked and than re-stamped (numbers matching) would this not be a "original numbers matching engine"
Well, thats an odd specific scenario which would obviously need to be proven, but I guess it would be described as a "decked, restamped numbers matching motor." And the "original" (born-with) claim would have to be documented.

I'm saying number matching and original can be 2 different things sometimes. You sound like you are saying theres a scenario where a restamped numbers matching engine could also be the original. I guess that's true.

Originally Posted by HS Vette
Napoli classics bought the car
Here is a photo of the engine block stamping when I had asked the pervious owner for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on '66 Vert Stingray for Sale

Quick Reply: Opinions on '66 Vert Stingray for Sale