Sponsored by:

St.Louis Corvette plant

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:30 AM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St.Louis Corvette plant

Is the old St.Louis Corvette plant still standing? Are there any places that show old pics of the assembly line? Bowling Green gets all of the attention and was wondering if the original plant had any memorabalia?

Thanks - Mark
Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 AM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same question as my goal was to finish restoring my 68 coupe and drive it back to St. Louis plant where it was "born". Of course, family and work and life got in the way of that dream and I just finished the 10 year long restoration process and now there is only Bowling Green which is not "home" to my May 10, 1968 built baby.
They sell bricks from the old Flint plant but I would like to know if there is any memorabilia from the St. Louis plant.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Several years ago, my wife and I, along with several friends went to the NCRS National in Collinsville, Ill, right across the river from St. Louis.
One fine day, we left the convention, with me driving the 69, and my friend following in his 62. Drove into St. Louis. We had general directions to the old plant.

We got pulled over by a St. Louis cop. We weren't doing anything. He just wanted to look at the cars, and "figured" what we were doing. We were in, shall we say, a "ROUGH" part of town.

He gave us directions to the old plant. There's NOTHING left.

Several years later, we went to the old Flint plant before they tore it down. I think it's totally gone now too. Chuck
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

What a shame that nothing was salvaged, like bricks, a sign, anything.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The other plant building is still there, last time i checked. The Corvette plant was torn down years ago.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ksbunting
What a shame that nothing was salvaged, like bricks, a sign, anything.
The National Corvette Museum has bricks and sells them for a donation...I think maybe its $100!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
Is the old St.Louis Corvette plant still standing? Are there any places that show old pics of the assembly line? Bowling Green gets all of the attention and was wondering if the original plant had any memorabalia?

Thanks - Mark
Parts of the plant is still standing, but has been refurbished for other uses. Its now and industrial park. There used to be a lot surrounded by a chain link fence across the steet from the plant (Southwest corner of Union and Natural bridge) where the Vettes were taken and stored after assembly. This is where a lot of the damages occurred, by vandals and thieves. ( I was a St. Louis Police Officer then). There is nothing left for photo ops..............................LT
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The bricks the museum is selling I believe are from the Flint plant not St. Louis.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

There are worse parts of St. Louis - I used to drive through there on my way to work all the time if 70 was screwed up.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:49 PM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltinnell
Parts of the plant is still standing, but has been refurbished for other uses. Its now and industrial park. There used to be a lot surrounded by a chain link fence across the steet from the plant (Southwest corner of Union and Natural bridge) where the Vettes were taken and stored after assembly. This is where a lot of the damages occurred, by vandals and thieves. ( I was a St. Louis Police Officer then). There is nothing left for photo ops..............................LT

Hey Larry, where was it? I figure it was south city right? what street intersections? just curious.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ruby76
Hey Larry, where was it? I figure it was south city right? what street intersections? just curious.
Union and Natural Bridge area is on the north side, near I-70.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
The other plant building is still there, last time i checked. The Corvette plant was torn down years ago.
Some additonal info and site Imagery

Union Seventy — St. Louis, Mo.
When GM sold its St. Louis Truck and Bus Plant to Clark Properties, the developer had some major plans in mind for development. Clark Properties remodeled the 3 million square foot assembly facility along with two smaller buildings. Then the remaining 118 acres were cleared and redeveloped with new roads and landscaping. Renamed Union Seventy Center, it is now home to companies including Pepsi Cola, Save-A-Lot and the U.S. Postal Service. Approximately 15,000 employees enter the site each day, equal to peak production during its days as an assembly plant.

Terra Server Imagery of the corner of Union and Natural Bridge on 3/22/02. You can see the Parking Lot across the street that Larry refered to.

Old St. Louis GM Plant Site

Bullshark
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ltinnell

Yoh Larry, Just had a brain cramp..........bet we could get a piece of that corner parking lot real cheap That would be a perfect place for our StL C3 Sharks club house We could all hang there for our Tech days & social functions and hold a yearly C1, C2, C3 reunion party. Boy, It would be just like old times for the boys in the hood ...........might need a couple of junkyard dogs yathink

Bullshark
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ruby76
It wasd North City, at Union and Natural Bridge........LT
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Yoh Larry, Just had a brain cramp..........bet we could get a piece of that corner parking lot real cheap That would be a perfect place for our StL C3 Sharks club house We could all hang there for our Tech days & social functions and hold a yearly C1, C2, C3 reunion party. Boy, It would be just like old times for the boys in the hood ...........might need a couple of junkyard dogs yathink

Bullshark
Hey Bullshark
I think that would be a perfect place for the C5 group. Lets see how pissy they would be after meeting there a few times..........HA HA..............Larry

PS:
That grassy part of the southwest corner used to be part of the storage lot.
If we do meet there, be sure to bring lots of ammo, I will, wow, just like the old says............LT

Last edited by red topless gator; 12-14-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of the aforementioned bricks and it is from the Flint, Michigan plant.

Get notified of new replies

To St.Louis Corvette plant

Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 PM
misterosr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Louis Plant Memorabilia

Originally Posted by ksbunting
I have the same question as my goal was to finish restoring my 68 coupe and drive it back to St. Louis plant where it was "born". Of course, family and work and life got in the way of that dream and I just finished the 10 year long restoration process and now there is only Bowling Green which is not "home" to my May 10, 1968 built baby.
They sell bricks from the old Flint plant but I would like to know if there is any memorabilia from the St. Louis plant.
I have a tie bar that was given to me by someone who worked at the St. Louis plant. It appears to have a representation of a 1971 Corvette And the words "Corvette St. Louis" (see the attached photo).
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 814 Likes on 457 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice
Marshal

Originally Posted by misterosr
I have a tie bar that was given to me by someone who worked at the St. Louis plant. It appears to have a representation of a 1971 Corvette And the words "Corvette St. Louis" (see the attached photo).
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
First Post!
Welcome!!
The tie bar is very nifty!
I see similar tie bars on e-bay on occasion and some of the designs make me think they went to to dealers and salesmen too.
I don't know if I've ever noticed one that was intended for someone at the St.Louis plant… nice.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-26-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: St.Louis Corvette plant