Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default The RT Project is back underway!!!!

Well guys it’s been a long and bumpy road and more than a few rest stops along the way. Between health issues, a divorce and having fun as a first time bachelor, my car has just taken up space for a few years now. Many of you have not been around long enough to remember my project “Rolling Thunder” but in recap, I started with a 270hp, TH400, ‘71 stock coupe. Since then I have purchased a complete new interior (still on the shelf) dash, console, carpet, you name it and had the seat completely rebuilt. I had my speedo refaced and my tach converted to electronic. The 350 was replaced with a ZZ502 that has since been upgraded with Accel digital sequential fuel injection with a Gen 7 Calmap computer system, Accel 300+ Digital Ignition & Accel Dual Sync Distributor. It has Stahl side-mount headers and 3” pipes with dual Moroso spiral flows each side. The radiator is Griffin aluminum NASCAR with dual 10” Spal electric fans. The TH400 was replaced with a Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 and 2300 stall converter.

Mods to the body are rather severe. I have installed flares front and rear covering 325/50 drag radials mounted on 10” x 15” AR Torque Thrust D’s on the back and 245/60’s on 8 ½” x 15” TTD’s on the front, using 1” bolt on adapters all around. I switched out to a long style L88 hood and added an air box and scoop for ram air. I modified an aftermarket front spoiler that is now integral to the front fenders/flares and also is ported for cooling to the front brakes. The headlights are now located behind the grills and the original openings are glassed in solid. The sidepipe covers are fiberglass ‘69 style, but have also been widened 1” to accommodate the spiral flow mufflers and the ends reworked to match the flares for appearance. The egg crates have been traded for inverted louvers similar to those available from Baldwin Motion in the 70’s. The T-tops have been replaced with a set of original Moon-roof tops. Oh yes, and the gas door was replaced with a Lemans cobra style filler that actually mounts on the tank.

Thanks to a young friend the bodywork is now in the final stages. I won’t forecast a paint date, but at the rate it’s wrapping up, it’ll be sooner rather than later. Don’t demand pictures just yet, I don’t want to jinx this thing. The older guys know there will be plenty of pictures soon enough.

Now it’s time to make a decision on the chassis. I am leaning toward the C4 based shark chassis from Street Shop Inc., but I have to admit, the SRIII is mighty tempting. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Glad to be back!
Dave

Oh, and I think I decided to go with black paint.

Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 11-01-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Sounds awesome! Would love to see some pics(sorry if they are in the post already, work does not allow some pics to display from storage sites).

Anyway, I am down in Paducah a lot, but not for pleasure usually. Usually to pick up a Patient at Lourdes or Western Baptist.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Welcome back Dave, This is truly great news. I thought we might have lost you to the dark side.
For those of you who don't remember "Rolling Thunder" he is the guy that provided the inspiration and is primarily responsible for RamJet. It was Dave that got me started here, and its been $$$$ ever since. I think you should kick off your return with a couple of the old pictures of your hood project.....you know, the ones with fiberglass stickin to the walls of your garage after a frustrating evening of body work. Looking forward to a Rolling Thunder / RamJet rumble.

Bullshark
Old 11-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Thanks Chris, I hope it turns out as I have envisioned for what seems like an eternity. By the way, if you find yourself in the neighborhood with a little time to kill, meeting would be my pleasure.

Thanks for memory Bob. Oh, and I did finally scrape that blob of glass off the wall. If all goes well, by the time warm weather returns in the spring we can find some windows for our 502's to rattle.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Good to see you back in business! Can't wait to see updates now!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I think it might be a nice idea to take this thread back to the top. As I'm sure some of you who visit "other" Corvette forums know Dave isn't feeling real well. Maybe if we send him some well wishes we can help him feel better.

Dave thanks for your contributions and inspiration that you provide for your fellow Corvette buddies. I know in being a part of the "custom" crowd we all look up to you. You have built a custom for the ages.

God speed!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Shirley1978
Burning Brakes

love that car dave, a true work of art
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dave,
I'm new compared to you, and a stock guy, but what's parked in the driveway in your picture is enough for me to want to say HELLO, and I hope you soon feel much better.... SOON!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Bubs
Instructor

For those of you who don't know, Dave is not doing well at all. His spirits are high but he has more bad days than good. Drop him a PM and say hi. I am sure he would love to hear from his corvette brothers.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Man...I dont know what to say and admit I dont know just what is wrong expect Dave isn't doing well and not feeling good and that is enough,

Your car is an inspiration to me, something of a dream come true, I would love to get my build even 1/2 as nice as yours,

But cars are just cars, I have always enjoyed your posts and always found you a real sterling siver fellow,

Take a look at all your friends out here who are keeping you in their warm wishes and prayers that you can get feeling better very very soon.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I thought I would take this to the top one more time.

For those of you who do not know Dave has left us for a better place. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/in-l...post1571736189

He will surely be missed in the C3 Forum as well as the rest of the Corvette community. "Rolling Thunder" is a tribute to Dave's tallent and creativity.

God bless you Dave
Old 10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Wow...hard to believe. Didn't know him but I remembered talking to him since we live sorta close. This was the first thread to come up when I did a search and it happened to be the first one I think I had ever talked to him. Take care up there big guy!

Get notified of new replies

To The RT Project is back underway!!!!

Quick Reply: The RT Project is back underway!!!!