C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally Wheel Center Caps/Trim Rings - Materials??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
ajkogut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally Wheel Center Caps/Trim Rings - Materials??

I have stock rally wheels with OEM trim rings and center caps (no repops or plastic replacements or anything). I am finally getting around to restoring my wheels and cleaning up the trim, along with replacing the tires on the car...basically one of my winter projects finally coming to fruition.

Can anyone tell me off hand what material the trim rings and center caps are? I am assuming they're just steel but are the polished or chrome-plated? I'm wondering what the best way to clean them up is...whether to ONLY polish them or to use abrasives of any kind, followed by polishing. If they're chrome, its pretty thin and I probably want to stick only with polishing by hand. I don't think they're polished so I think metal finishing them is out...is that correct?

Does anyone know if there's any good way to get rid of surface scratches (very slight curb rash), especially on the trim rings?

I think repainting the vains on the center caps will make a huge difference, too.

Advice appreciated, as usual.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I think the rings and dish of the center caps are stainless steel with chrome plating. You are right if you try to polish them too much you can go thru the chrome. However the chrome on them is very hard. I use cloth wheels on a stand mount with white rouge to clean them up. If you go thru the chrome you have to look real hard to see the difference. There is a slight color change from the polished chrome to the polished stainless. The center of the cap is pot metal and then chromed, and can be polished just like the rings.
As far as cleaning up curb rash, that is really hard for someone to do at home. If you sand out the rash you also will most likely sand off the chrome. Repaint the caps with semi gloss black and they will look great.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

stainless steel with chrome plating.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

AJ,
There is someone who advertises in the NCRS DRIVLINE who is restoring original trim rings. If you might be interested re-post and I'll find the info. for you.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 AM
ajkogut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
AJ,
There is someone who advertises in the NCRS DRIVLINE who is restoring original trim rings. If you might be interested re-post and I'll find the info. for you.
Regards,
Alan
Alan:

I appreciate the offer but I'm guessing this would be cost prohibitive and a bit out of the scope for my project. I'm no where near NCRS-level...just a nice driver that I'm looking to clean up.

Again, thanks very much for the info. Take care!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

AJK,
There are various aftermarket caps and rings available very reasonably from many vendors if you end up needing to replace a couple. Curb rash can be hard to restore. Good Luck!!!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Rally Wheel Center Caps/Trim Rings - Materials??

Quick Reply: Rally Wheel Center Caps/Trim Rings - Materials??