Sponsored by:

Side mirror removal 79'

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Side mirror removal 79'

I have to remove the side mirrors on my 79' for my paint project. The window glass and channel are preventing me from getting a socket on the two nuts holding the mirror. Does anyone have experence with removing the mirrors. I assume I have to move the channel or maybe take it completely out. Do I remove the glass from inside the door frame or do you remove the entire regular assembly with the window glass still attached or maybe can I get the Glass down far enough to remove the back nut.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:16 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I had to take the glass out on my 79. Not the whole regulator or anything else, just the glass itself. The channel as I recall didn't have to be moved at all. I'd love to know if someone has a way to do this without taking the glass out, as my driver's side mirror is loose on the pedestal, so it rocks around a little.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 AM
BillyTz06
Racer

Has anyone removed the side mirrors with out removing the door glass. I think this would help a lot of guys with mirror problems.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Dont know how big of A hurry your in but I have to do mine A deer hit me and knocked it right into my lap .Ill be Fixing it this week and Im going in to re-place it like factory so ill let you know if there is another way.Im not a glass man so I hope ther is another way.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
...Has anyone removed the side mirrors with out removing the door glass...
Been there, done that. Check the lower stops on the window runners. I was able to lower each of mine and get the door glass down far enough to get a socket on the nuts.

Still not easy. I needed a long extention and a universal.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Now that sounds like a winner !!! I'll try lowering the stops and see if that gives me enough clearance to get a socket on the nut. I'll post if it works out. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 513 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Been there, done that. Check the lower stops on the window runners. I was able to lower each of mine and get the door glass down far enough to get a socket on the nuts.

Still not easy. I needed a long extention and a universal.

OK, this is something I have personally done. You need to drop the window glass bottom stops down about two inches, have a 1/4 socket set and a smll extension and a universal joint to get to the nut closest to the upper edge. But it's not hard, once you get the glass lowered you'll see it right away. BTW: use a marker or scribe to mark the position of the window stops so you can put them back where they were.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Mirrors are finally off !! You guys were a big help. This is what I did and it worked like a charm. I lowered the bottom window stops and removed the two felt pads at the top of the door which allowed the glass to be leaned over to the inside of the door. This gave me a lot of room. The bolt near the glass was the hardest and tightest so I had to use a socket with a plain handle, not a ratchet, not enough room for my ratchet. I'm learning to be a very patient fellow with this paint project.

Get notified of new replies

To Side mirror removal 79'

Quick Reply: Side mirror removal 79'