C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Headlight covers with Laquer: How to Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Painted Headlight covers with Laquer: How to Polish?

Folks,

As a temp fix until I get a complete repaint, I used some rattle can laquer to paint the tops of my headlight assemblies. Looks pretty good but doesn't have the same lustre as the rest of the finish. I don't want to add any more paint (ie clearcoat), I just want to bring up the shine and smooth out the finish. Can this be done with just basic polishes and waxes? I have one of the little electric orbital poilshers if useful.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
Old 09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Scuff sand with 2000 grit wet until it is all dull and coumpound by hand, with a medium grit compound and then a glaze compound and then wax.

Save your orbital for swirl marks and waxing.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Steve,
N's information is right on.
You can find polishing compounds in various coarseness. I use McGuire's, but there are many others. The McGuires has a little chart of products so you know which to buy and in what sequence they should be used .
Tape up the very edge of the doors because you'll polish through the paint there in a heartbeat!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Excellent...thanks guys. It's on the short list
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Hi Team,

Follow-up to my original post from last year.

So, the spray can black lacquer went on my headlight covers just fine and I was generally pleased. I let it dry uncovered for more than 72 hours...the weather was nice and dry with low humidity. Looked good.

Rain was forecast so I finally put my cover back on the car (Wolf, 4 layer...car is exiled to the driveway since I have no garage on my house).

Long story short, the pattern from the Wolf cover was transferred into the fresh-ish lacquer on the headlight covers. It's subtle, but noticeable and unacceptable. It's not just superficial like a decal, it actually made an impression in the paint and is a permanent texture a few microns deep. I was stunned/annoyed since the recommended dry/cure time was 24 hrs and I let it go a full 72 before even touching it. I just shook my head and decided to stop working and start driving.

New season, time to fix. I don't want to paint it again but will do so if it's my only out. I would like to try to cut and buff but have virtually no experience. Any suggestions? Will the 2000 grit wet sand and compounding method mentioned above do the trick?

If I repaint I will be using the Rustoleum foam brush method (aka the Low-Buck Special) just to put on a decent coat until total re-paint time.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Wuttin; 04-21-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
mydejavooo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the problem that I have found with most rattle-can paints....they just don't get hard enough as there is no catalyst in there. They have to sit uncovered for a long, long time before they are unaffected by things like car covers. Sorry to hear about the hard work fouled by the cover!

Deja
Old 04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuttin
Will the 2000 grit wet sand and compounding method mentioned above do the trick?
If you have enough rattle-can paint on there that will work. Use a firm foam backer on your wetsanding, criss cross pattern and go slow. Check your progress with a squeegee. Soak your sand paper in water a half hour before you start, remember, the new paper will cut quicker when new.

Last edited by jimvette999; 04-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted Headlight covers with Laquer: How to Polish?

Quick Reply: Painted Headlight covers with Laquer: How to Polish?