Sponsored by:

Barn Find 1968 L88

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Barn Find 1968 L88

Great pics of the rare car in the link! Good link within for the background as told by the original owner!!

This 1968 Corvette is Rally Red with a Red interior (1 of 2 known to exist) and is optioned as follows: M-22 special heavy duty transmission, J-50 power brakes, J-56 special heavy duty brakes, K-66 transistor ignition, F41 special heavy duty suspension, G81 heavy duty posi-trac rear end. This Corvette was bought new at Modern Chevrolet in Winston Salem, NC and purchased by me on September 24th, 2008 from its one and only owner currently residing in north Florida. This car was street raced for bounty from day one and was never beaten and was retired in the early '80's after the clutch and pressure plate disintegrated and then put in storage until September 24th, 2008. The body and paint was original with exception of four flares installed over the top of the original fenders and custom design graphics were painted over the original paint. The interior was original as was its untouched chassis, brake system, and most L88 related components. This one owner Corvette was inspected on November 7th, 2008 in its raw unrestored untouched condition and certified by: David Burroughs, Gary Nabers, Kevin J. Mackay, John Ballard, Tom Christman, Terry Michaelis, and subsequently Chuck Berge on November 22nd, 2008. This Corvette is now in Houston, Tx. being body-off restored by internationally famous Naber Brothers Restoration of SPEEDtv fame as they were responsible for the incredible restoration of the Last Sting Ray. This restoration should be finished by early April 2009

http://proteamcorvette.com/cars/NSN-WOW68.htm
Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was posted here a year or so ago. Wondering how far the restoration has come along or has it been completed and sold on eBay? Does anyone know?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

The car is now completely restored and is owned by Proteam corvette sales. The car looks great.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the barn in the ocean? Hard to see how it is in such weathered shape from being just stored after the clutch died. Neat story though. And I suppose it had other wider tires when it was raced for bounty and never defeated.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Corvette_53
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rajsid
This was posted here a year or so ago. Wondering how far the restoration has come along or has it been completed and sold on eBay? Does anyone know?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They get a little excited when they find a real one to restore, don't they
Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

after the clutch and pressure plate disintegrated and then put in storage until September 24th, 2008
So why was the clutch and pressure plate put in storage and the rest of the car put out to pasture??
Old 12-04-2009, 02:23 PM
MikeNKalibs6t7Coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wonder

This is a very cool car but..... The stuff I personally enjoy reading is how and when the car became known again and some of the stories the original owner must have...... not that a business getting and restoring this car is a bad thing.... it is just the ending is pretty predictable and usually that is some collector paying tons for it and then sitting on it as an investment.... I am just someone who enjoys a regular guy/gearhead coming across and obtaining a car like this and enlisting a club or group of friends and family doing the restoration. Anyone else kind of bored with the kazillionaire buying up any car with just about any type of resale value only to overrestore and let it set in a climate controlled limbo ? no matter how rare they are now they were built to be driven not necessarily as daily transportation but at least see the light of day regularly ......just my 2 cents
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I wonder how much $$$ Proteam stole it, um bought it, for? My best friend called me a couple of years ago and asked me to come over and take a look at an old Corvette that he was asked to sell for the widow of a friend of his. The owner was a very prominent gentleman here in Buffalo, N.Y. and had bought it brand new. I almost cr_____ my shorts when my buddy opened his garage door and there sitting in front of me was a 1953 Corvette. First one I'd ever seen in person. Well it hadn't been registered since sometime in the early 80's but I looked it over and it had everything that it came with when new. BUT it needed a total restoration. I gave my buddy the number of Proteam and told him to call right away. Long story short, he did, and a fellow showed up the very next day with a flatbed and a check for.............. $37,000.00. The widow was happy, my buddy didn't know the difference, and I was sick when he called and said they'd just left with the car! I wrote Terry a letter asking for my finder's fee and he sent me a nice "Thank you" letter and said they didn't pay finder's fees.
Lesson learned. Just watch who you deal with.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

The 'ol "dipped in resin" paint job. I'd sooner have the ribbons and swirls of the original as seen on the flatbed.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
not a '76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal comment against over-restored vehicles:

notice in the restored photos that the exhaust manifold is still engine orange.

Apparently restoring a vehicle doesnt include making sure it actually runs and drives as good as it did the day it left the factory.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Duane4238
I wonder how much $$$ Proteam stole it, um bought it, for? My best friend called me a couple of years ago and asked me to come over and take a look at an old Corvette that he was asked to sell for the widow of a friend of his. The owner was a very prominent gentleman here in Buffalo, N.Y. and had bought it brand new. I almost cr_____ my shorts when my buddy opened his garage door and there sitting in front of me was a 1953 Corvette. First one I'd ever seen in person. Well it hadn't been registered since sometime in the early 80's but I looked it over and it had everything that it came with when new. BUT it needed a total restoration. I gave my buddy the number of Proteam and told him to call right away. Long story short, he did, and a fellow showed up the very next day with a flatbed and a check for.............. $37,000.00. The widow was happy, my buddy didn't know the difference, and I was sick when he called and said they'd just left with the car! I wrote Terry a letter asking for my finder's fee and he sent me a nice "Thank you" letter and said they didn't pay finder's fees.
Lesson learned. Just watch who you deal with.
To be honest, I cant find where Pro-team did the wrong thing, they offered 37K and the man agreed, that's how deals are made, never mind if they paid more or less than the market value. Also if you've been promised by them for a finder's fees "before" the deal, then you certainly deserves it, but after closing the deal, then you can't just go and beg them for the fees.

Get notified of new replies

To Barn Find 1968 L88

Quick Reply: Barn Find 1968 L88