C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look ma, no vacuum (headlights or wiper door)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Default Look ma, no vacuum (headlights or wiper door)

Got fed up with vacuum headlight openers about 6 months ago and replaced with electric linear actuators, and currently in the process of doing the same to my wiper door. Then it's goodbye to all those hoses and the vacuum tank. Not a difficult conversion, except when trying to unbolt the wiper door panel, I snapped off all 4 bolts, and had to drill out and retap. Total cost, less than $200 total. Should easily recoup much more than that by selling the old diaphrams and relays.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What? No pictures or specifics?
Inquiring minds want to know.
C3 CF members want to see.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 PM
justinw2116
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have pictures, and curious why did you not just go with electric motors?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Pics?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would LOVE to do that to my '74....for a lot of reasons...
1) It would clean up my engine bay a little
2) Less Problems
3) Probably work a little faster
4) Less repair
etc...

Does anyone sell a full kit to simplify the conversion ?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Let's see....$200 and six month's work to get my headlights and wiper door working; OR buy a $10 manual on how to troubleshoot vacuum systems, buy a $30 vacuum gauge, and spend 2 hours finding/fixing my vacuum system problems... Whatever should I do????
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
...Whatever should I do????

Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also want to know
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Let's see....$200 and six month's work to get my headlights and wiper door working; OR buy a $10 manual on how to troubleshoot vacuum systems, buy a $30 vacuum gauge, and spend 2 hours finding/fixing my vacuum system problems... Whatever should I do????

But that's the fun of it !!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowbuck,
did you get them from summit? If so, which ones did you get? This sounds interesting.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Been thinking of going electric on my headlights for a long time now. Please bring pics and/or video if you can swing it. Would like to know some more about this.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

First off, bought the actuators on ebay, 4" for the headlights and 3" for the wiper door (the actuator for the wiper has limit adjustability because it actually needs only 2 1/2 in of travel). Wired with a couple of double pole, double throw toggle switches. Fabricated all the mounts with plain old steel bar stock and angle iron. I will take some pictures and post this weekend. My only possible concern is that the wiper actuator sticks out from the firewall and the plastic switch cover sits about 8" above the exhaust. Gonna take it on a shake down run and see how hot the unit gets.

I could never get the units to work real well using vacuum, they were slow, probably because I wouldn't spring for all new parts, and my vacuum tank had a leak, so I would run them direct offt the intake manifold, and still sensed a vacuum leak , so I gave up.

Besides, I the dependability of electrictiy, the uncluttered engine compartment, and I like being different. If my Vette got points for originality, it went negative years ago.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
First off, bought the actuators on ebay, 4" for the headlights and 3" for the wiper door (the actuator for the wiper has limit adjustability because it actually needs only 2 1/2 in of travel). Wired with a couple of double pole, double throw toggle switches. Fabricated all the mounts with plain old steel bar stock and angle iron. I will take some pictures and post this weekend. My only possible concern is that the wiper actuator sticks out from the firewall and the plastic switch cover sits about 8" above the exhaust. Gonna take it on a shake down run and see how hot the unit gets.

I could never get the units to work real well using vacuum, they were slow, probably because I wouldn't spring for all new parts, and my vacuum tank had a leak, so I would run them direct offt the intake manifold, and still sensed a vacuum leak , so I gave up.

Besides, I the dependability of electrictiy, the uncluttered engine compartment, and I like being different. If my Vette got points for originality, it went negative years ago.
Lobuck is correct, and today you simply can't GET decent parts for the old vac system, I tried 2-3 times over the years, finally gave up on the wiper door some 5 years ago....did the linear actuator trick...

the headlights have been fixed for over a decade now...

you maybe want to check out Chris his handle is 69MyWay and go for his adaption...using F body motors....

there is no question the '72 had some bad production with the vac reservoir that fuel tank looking construction develops stress cracks in it over time, mine was full of holes, never did find a replacement, and so ran the system direct, which worked fine except for the witches hat trick.......hitting a dear deer one night took care of the operating headlights so went fixed with a great sigh of relief...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrJlr
I would LOVE to do that to my '74....for a lot of reasons...
1) It would clean up my engine bay a little
2) Less Problems
3) Probably work a little faster
4) Less repair
etc...

Does anyone sell a full kit to simplify the conversion ?

Good question!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since it's a vacuum tank, you just patch it on the outside, anyway. What's the problem? And, no, it won't work properly without an 'accumulator' tank. Glad you guys found a solution that worked for you.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Pics please!

Originally Posted by lowbuck72

I am not interested in electric wiper doors because I don't have wiper doors on my '80. I have an electric headlight system with Trans Am motors, but I don't like it because I can't get it to operate smoothly.

We REALLY need pictures from below, above, behind...whatever you can provide.

I have a MIG welder and access to any size steel you can think of, and one of our sons is a CNC machinist with access to "scrap" aluminum and 30,000 sq ft of state of the art machines.

Anybody else interested in developing an linear headlight actuator "kit"?

Get notified of new replies

To Look ma, no vacuum (headlights or wiper door)

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

hey... im interested..
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I am not interested in electric wiper doors because I don't have wiper doors on my '80. I have an electric headlight system with Trans Am motors, but I don't like it because I can't get it to operate smoothly.

We REALLY need pictures from below, above, behind...whatever you can provide.

I have a MIG welder and access to any size steel you can think of, and one of our sons is a CNC machinist with access to "scrap" aluminum and 30,000 sq ft of state of the art machines.

Anybody else interested in developing an linear headlight actuator "kit"?
Yes! I also have access to a shop that has a waterjet. Provide them a CAD drawing, and it cuts it lickity split!
Next qeustion(market research):
How much would you pay for a conversion kit?
$1000? Complete with wiring, instructions, etc. for wiper door and both headlights....what a bargain!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by schmegeggie
Yes! I also have access to a shop that has a waterjet. Provide them a CAD drawing, and it cuts it lickity split!
Next qeustion(market research):
How much would you pay for a conversion kit?
$1000? Complete with wiring, instructions, etc. for wiper door and both headlights....what a bargain!
headlights... $250 max for me... or just keep the vacuum units and make them work..

Quick Reply: Look ma, no vacuum (headlights or wiper door)