Sponsored by:

Best place to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Jerapais 69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy?

Generally speaking, thoughts on where the best place to buy a nice C-3 (69-72) driver with minor or no work needed? Places like Carlisle and other shows like that? Private owner thru internet ads? Dealer? Ebay? THANKS Boys
Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

proteam usually has lots of nice cars if you don't care about the price..any dealer is gonna have a markup..
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Jerapais 69
Instructor

Yes they do Joe. But my budget unfortunately is not that big. I can go up to about 27-28. Thanks for the comment PLH
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Mark Battersby
Racer

Originally Posted by plh@h-fs
Yes they do Joe. But my budget unfortunately is not that big. I can go up to about 27-28. Thanks for the comment PLH
I searched high and low for my first corvette, which I bought yesterday.

I used craigslist, ebay, several online classifieds, local dealers. The aim was to expose myself to as many cars as I could. One rule I had, was however I bought the car, I was going to A) have it inspected by a mechanic and B) inspect the car myself prior to handing over any $$$$

I ended up finding my vette locally through craigslist..

Aussie Mark
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Jerapais 69
Instructor

Mark, Congratulations!! What did you get???
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 200 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

I found my '70 on http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Close to home to allow you to see and inspect the car. My first was twelve miles from my house; second was four blocks; third was 200 feet.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Private owners are your best possibility for a well-cared-for car and a decent price. You have to be 'choosey', because there are a lot of owners who can't do their own work. Ask questions about what they have done to the car and let them talk; you'll figure out who has done their own work and who hasn't. Ask if the accessory components have been rebuilt or replaced; rebuilt 'original' components are better for long life and originality.

You can check on the internet 'lists', but if they are a distance from you, how do you check them out? You would need a skilled 'buddy' in the area to let you know if it's worth considering or not.

I just don't have much faith in dealer-sold vehicles. They are very skilled at hiding defects and making the car look "purty". Private ads or Chevy/Vette sales booklets are a better way to go, IMO.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think going to Corvettes @ Carlisle is a good event to attend. You have a good selection of those years your looking for and can see and touch these cars in person as well as converse with the sellers all at one time. A very good opportunity to purchase a car.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Mark Battersby
Racer

Originally Posted by plh@h-fs
Mark, Congratulations!! What did you get???

1973 454 Auto Coupe..

Professional engine rebuild 1500miles ago, fresh paint in 2008, body 8.5/10, interior 6/10 (lose panels, some wear), non stock carb, need front end bushings, replace starter at some stage. Awesome fun to drive!!

$13k on craigslist local..

Aussie Mark
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Mark Battersby
Racer

Default Knowledge is power...

I know its a old saying, but when buying corvettes, or any other vehicles, it plays so true. I have purchased dozens of motorcycles over the years, enjoyed them, and managed to sell them for at least what I paid for them, if not more. Its just a matter of buying right, not just the right $$$$, but the right vehicle. Research the values of the vettes you are looking at, become as knowledgeable as you can about pricing, know the options that can help. The best part is , most of this information is on the forum here for FREE!

You will always find your best buys (value) buying privately, however you also face the largest risk buying privately. If a car is a true bargain, it will not last long for sale. If you know your prices, you can "pull the trigger" when you come across that bargain.

The '73 I bought had been listed on craigslist locally for less than 5 minutes when I called (yes - I spend a lot of time presses "refresh" on craigslist ) I called the seller at 6pm, and arranged to see the car early the next morning. By the time I saw the car he'd received a dozen calls, and already had set up another 3 appointments to views the car. I still didnt buy the car until I ask opinions on the forum, and had the car inspected. However because I had good rapport with the seller, and I told him I would buy the car if it passed mechanical inspection, he agreed to hold it for me until the next business day.

To get to this point, where I was prepared to pull the trigger, in the last 2 months I had:

* Seen 20+ corvettes locally
* Called and spoken to owners of perhaps 50 cars
* Spent countless hours looking online at vettes for sale, craigslist USA wide, eBay, Hemmings, Classic Car trader, Corvette Market etc etc
* ASKED LOTS OF QUESTIONS ON THE FORUM

Members here are always happy to pass on their knowledge, just ask

Aussie Mark

Last edited by Mark Battersby; 03-05-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Mark Battersby
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Private owners are your best possibility for a well-cared-for car and a decent price. You have to be 'choosey', because there are a lot of owners who can't do their own work. Ask questions about what they have done to the car and let them talk; you'll figure out who has done their own work and who hasn't. Ask if the accessory components have been rebuilt or replaced; rebuilt 'original' components are better for long life and originality.

You can check on the internet 'lists', but if they are a distance from you, how do you check them out? You would need a skilled 'buddy' in the area to let you know if it's worth considering or not.

I just don't have much faith in dealer-sold vehicles. They are very skilled at hiding defects and making the car look "purty". Private ads or Chevy/Vette sales booklets are a better way to go, IMO.

But I will add, I have seen some private seller trained in the art of hiding defects
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM
69MA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that one of the best paces to buy a car and not feel uneasy about the way it is described and what you actually are getting is, i guess here. Especially if the seller has been a member here for awhile. Plus you can reasearch if there were any repairs, alot of people get advice on repairs on the Forum.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Jerapais 69
Instructor

Wow, awesome Mark!

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to buy?

Quick Reply: Best place to buy?