C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP My 1978 Corvette Has Power But Wont Crank???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP My 1978 Corvette Has Power But Wont Crank???

OK...So I'm driving down the road today, everything is going fine. The car has been recently driven(so this isnt the first time in months or anything). I pull over to use the cell phone. I put the car in park and turn the ignition off. I get off the phone and go to crank the car, NOTHING! I'm like wtf? I tried again and again...When I turn it to the auxiliary position, I hear the blower motor and transmission cooler fan come on and then when I turn it into the on position, it goes dead? I towed the car home, disconnected the battery cables. hit them with a wire brush and reconnected them. Nothing. I checked the ignition wires going to and from the distributor. They were all connected but I unplugged and reconnected. Nothing...I checked the starter...the wires were all connected and I gave the starter a light tap with a hammer...nothing! I'm lost...and yes, the car is in Park...this is an automatic as well. Any ideas? I'm sure it could be a plethora of things...oh yea, all fuses are good and battery has a full reading...I'm guessing its something starter related since its not even turning over...How about a neutral safety switch or ignition switch? Just ideas but dont know what happens when those go out. I am expected to take this vehicle in and have some things done to it...I'd hate to have to tow it there too...

Last edited by austinseanchris; 09-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM
belkerx3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be the neutral safety switch. When mine went out on my '73 I could smell it short out. It would be worth running a jumper on the switch and seeing if it's the culprit.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM
flaco1801
Racer

my 74 used to do that...i'd wait 45 mins and it would start... some said it was the starter getting too hot from the engine bay... i got a delco starter and it hasnt happened since good luck...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by belkerx3
My guess would be the neutral safety switch. When mine went out on my '73 I could smell it short out. It would be worth running a jumper on the switch and seeing if it's the culprit.
Where is the neutral safety switch located at on this thing, lol? Break the automotive slander down for me as far as "running a jumper on the switch and seeing if it's the culprit". Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flaco1801
my 74 used to do that...i'd wait 45 mins and it would start... some said it was the starter getting too hot from the engine bay... i got a delco starter and it hasnt happened since good luck...
Yea, I've waited a few hours and tried it...still nothing. The starter is a Delco and is about 8 years old...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Check Your ground cable as well. Ive had two cars that just died and without any meters I started replacing batteries, starter solonoids etc. It turned out to be a bad ground wire in both cases. One of them looked brand new.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say it goes dead when you turn it to the "on" position, if you really do mean "on" vs "start", then I would suspect the ignition switch or the power to or from it.

If you mean it goes dead when you turn it to "start", then it could be the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch (it's attached to the shift lever under the console).

I doubt it is a ground because the fans work in the accessory position and I assume they go off when you turn it to the "on" position. There's also a good chance the solenoid would click when you turn it to "start" if you have a weak ground.

Good Luck.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Where is the neutral safety switch located at on this thing, lol? Break the automotive slander down for me as far as "running a jumper on the switch and seeing if it's the culprit". Thanks!
It is on the side of the shifter. It connects the purple wires together when in park or neutral.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

if you suspect the neutral safety switch, put it in neutral and see if will start.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

First and easiest thing to check is the S wire on the starter. Use a test light (real light bulb, not an LED) Put one wire on the Purple wire on the S terminal and the other to ground and hit the key: Light on = start circuit good, no light = look into start circuit more
The light should come on bright. Look at the ground cable on the underside of the pass side motor mount, they get cooked from the headers sometimes..
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago when my 78 did the exact same thing it ws the ignition module in the distributor. Now I always carry a spare.

Last edited by kidneyboy; 09-06-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I will join with "flaco1801", it is very likely the starter. The '70's starters are subject to bad solenoid contacts. Get a new GM-Delco. I chased this problem many times over the years until I quit using cheap rebuilds.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Years ago when my 78 did the exact same thing it ws the ignition module in the distributor. Now I always carry a spare.
Nope your car was turning over and not starting.

His car is getting hot then not turning the starter over.
Mine did the same thing, wolud not start after it was hot. its was the Starter.
With my buddy holding the key on ,all I had to do was Wack the starter with something of weight (Hammer) and the car wolud start right up Kind of Imbarising to have to wack your Corvette with A hammer to get it running but it works.

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP My 1978 Corvette Has Power But Wont Crank???

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP My 1978 Corvette Has Power But Wont Crank???