C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I"m in the NCRS and this is the stuff I can't stand!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Default I"m in the NCRS and this is the stuff I can't stand!!!!

Hi Guys,

I am a member of the NCRS. My close friend is 400 point Master Judge. I love orginality.....just my thing. I love all Corvettes.....if you modify yours, hey, who cares? It's your car and I love them all! I have owned my 68 since 1985 and recently decided to sell my other 68 project.

I recently posted an ad here, on Ebay, and Craigslist selling a 68 Coupe. The car is 1 owner, 53k Original miles. It needs a complete frame off. I spent an hour typing the listing being as descriptive and thorough as I could be. In the title of the listing I used keywords like "NCRS" and "Survivor" to guide buyers searching for an original car to my sale. In no way shape or form, anywhere or anhow indicate the car won ANY NCRS Survivor award (the paint is nor original as clearly stated).....here's my beef.
Some guy claiming to be a judge emailed me and gave me his friendly warning to remove the word "Survivor" from my listing inidcating it was copyright infringement. He also was kind enough to point out that my car is in fact not a "survivor" due to the fact that the paint is not original. He also stated I may have "credibility" issues with potential buyers by leading potential buyers to believe it was a "survivor".....

OK, I repsonded (as politely as I could but my keyboard needs to be repaired from the force I used typing).....I stated I appeciated his advice but told him I thought it was "laughable"..how many NCRS "Survivor" cars started out as original paint cars only, and their owners pieced together the rest with swap meet and Ebay purchases of dated parts and documents, then claimed them to be original to the car......what a JOKE!!

I stated I hear the complaints of Corvette owners who do not care for the NCRS and their "awards" on forums such as this. NOW I KNOW WHY!!! It's actions like this from guys like him that make folks unhappy with the NCRS.

Trust me, I removed the word "survivor" from the Craigslsit ad as I was unaware the word under copyright.....

Oh, and if the sender is a member here...show me your "original" Corvette....I'd love to compare it and all it's documentation to mine.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 09-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold classification, not NCRS, and as such might be copyrighted.

Hop over to the Bloomington Gold site and read up on "Survivor." It's my understanding your car might be "Survivor" status even with the repaint.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-27-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You sometimes have to have a tough skin when selling any used car and especially so when it's a collectable vehicle that needs restoration...I would try to take his comments as constructive criticism, that's probably where he was coming from.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gq82
You sometimes have to have a tough skin when selling any used car and especially so when it's a collectable vehicle that needs restoration...I would try to take his comments as constructive criticism, that's probably where he was coming from.

Good luck with the sale.
Constructive criticism I can take....but ordering me to remove the title and indicating it lends itself to credibility issues is BS!

Thanks to Easy Mike, turns out this "JUDGE" was wrong!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NCRS is a joke, and they can believe what they want to, I know first hand of people who have passed engines, tags, entire cars off for all sorts of awards.....so to ME that whole thing is a time waster....a vette is a SPORTS car, a HOTROD, and as such it is subject to modifications like a house, truck, Honda, what ever....

people love to somehow dream that stuff makes any difference, and so for those that share the dream....dream ON.....

then there are people who live in REALITY, .....
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

When I was selling my 77 it was/is NOT original and was clearly stated, it has a '92 LT1 and ZF6. someone posted "And the seats are NOT original, they are from a 78-79" No SHET!, and they were from an '81. Like I was worried about the SEATS when the frame, motor and trans had all been replaced
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
"Survivor" is a Bloomington Gold classification, not NCRS, and as such might be copyrighted.

Hop over to the Bloomington Gold site and read up on "Survivor." It's my understanding your car might be "Survivor" status even with the repaint.

Darn, I was so ticked I overlooked that......but he knows now as per my second email!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I wouldn't have been so nice
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't care my car does not have correct $400. bolts. It's great there are cars out there that are original and can be used for reference but I enjoy driving and maintaining my Not Correctly Restored Stingray with affordable service replacement parts
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

I agree with you John. It has been my experience that far to many NCRS zealots come across with a similar attitude. It is hard to be sure here, since it was communication by text, but I have experience similar situations in person. Please don't miss interpret my post, I have many friends who are NCRS members and I have toyed with joining for years, since I have my 70 LT-1 and enjoy keeping it original ...... within reason!!. Some people just can't put this hobby in perspective.

Bullshark
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

So repost your ad.
FS 68 Corvette recent repaint, few tasteful mods. can be easily restored to stock. Asking XXXXXXX obo
COntact info
Include as many pictures as possible.
Answer all questions when buyer comes with the money.

My take is that anyone truely interested will ask you all the questions you answered in the first ad.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How can "survivor" be copyrighted? I think the TV Show Survivor would have a Big problem with that! If the "judge" had read the ad, he wouldn't have put his foot in his mouth making stupid statements like that!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In your ad, just say "90% unmolested and original"...
It makes the same point.

I agree with ya John, sometimes people just get crazy over such insignificant crud..

There is a HUGE difference between saying that a car is "survivor like" and saying the car is a BG Survivor recipient (which you clearly did not say).

My 2 cents..
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by pewter99
I wouldn't have been so nice

Just tell the "judge" money talks and walks.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 AM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfallison
How can "survivor" be copyrighted? I think the TV Show Survivor would have a Big problem with that! If the "judge" had read the ad, he wouldn't have put his foot in his mouth making stupid statements like that!

That's exactly what I was wondering?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
HobbyPoor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People like that is what gives rest of us who just enjoy and appreciate our cars a bad name....
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mrvette
...NCRS is a joke...
Not to quite a few NCRS members. This post is not about NCRS bashing.

"Survivor" is a registered trade mark of Bloomington Gold. http://bloomingtongold.com/inc.php?link=survivor

Get notified of new replies

To I"m in the NCRS and this is the stuff I can't stand!!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If I would have responded at all I would have told him to KMA unless he was making an offer and of not to mind his own business
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have this person's name and/or e-mail address, I would suggest that you fire-off an e-mail to NCRS with a complaint. I doubt that this 'fellow' was speaking on behalf of NCRS...probably just another member who wants to tell the rest of the world how to operate properly . The word "survivor" has been around a long time and, unless you associate that word with "NCRS" or "Bloomington" in your ad, there cannot be any copyright infringement issue.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

thanks guys.......get me mad enough and i will post his name.....(he gave first name and last initial......

Quick Reply: I"m in the NCRS and this is the stuff I can't stand!!!!