C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Auto 1/2 done (don't try this at home) :>)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 72 Auto 1/2 done (don't try this at home) :>)

Been working on the 72 all winter and finally have a running unit again. I bought a 72 donor car matching numbers that had front end damage. My 11 year old daughter wondered if I could convert the manual to an automatic. (She wants to drive it when she gets older) The donor had a running engine but the trans TH400 was questionable. Pulled both and found that the trans was shot. My currnt 72 frame was a manual frame so I had to cut the crossmember and engineer it back together. I had to cut the manual fiberglass tunnel to accept the new auto shifter. I had to remove the clutch pedal. I had to cut the passenger side floorboard for the modulator clearance and then re-glass it. I had the trans rebuilt at a local shop and installed it. Had to install new tailshaft and u-joint. All in all it was a fun project. I wouldn't do it again though given all the adaptations needed to a manual car. I got a new front clip and all the mounting brackets from the donor. I have 72 front grills and egg crates already cleaned up and ready to install. The new clip will be this next winter.
Here are some pics

Here is the crossmember adaptation I welded.

Numbers matching motor from donor.

Put new bushings on rear composite spring.

Interior with auto stick.

Parting rear shot

Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

she's looking good! Have fun driving this summer.

Sully
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I think it would have been easier if you just taught her how to drive a manual LOL
Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by highschool67
Numbers matching motor from donor.

Ummmm.... I may have lost you somewhere... Which car are you working on, the one the 'matching numbers' motor came out of or did you transplant the motor into your original car? You lost me on what the numbers are matching...

A lot of work there converting to an auto, you have more stamina than I would have...

BTW: The exhaust pipes don't rattle on the cross member? There's usually a bracket bolted to the transmission mount; the pipes get clamped to it to keep them from rattling.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi h67,
That's a VERY nice looking car!!!
Is that 65/66 side exhaust car in your garage, too????
You'll have some big fun this summer.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi h67,
That's a VERY nice looking car!!!
Is that 65/66 side exhaust car in your garage, too????
You'll have some big fun this summer.
Regards,
Alan
That's my 66. Went to take both to the car show last Friday and the right lower ball joint went out. Replaced upper and lower on right and left side is later this week when I get a free evening.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM
highschool67
Drifting

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Ummmm.... I may have lost you somewhere... Which car are you working on, the one the 'matching numbers' motor came out of or did you transplant the motor into your original car? You lost me on what the numbers are matching...

A lot of work there converting to an auto, you have more stamina than I would have...

BTW: The exhaust pipes don't rattle on the cross member? There's usually a bracket bolted to the transmission mount; the pipes get clamped to it to keep them from rattling.
I transplanted the 270 HP stock motor from the numbers matching coupe into my original 72 convertible that you see. I kept a copy of the numbers matching title for the donor car just for reference. The motor from the donor carried the VIN derivation and engine code from the body which was a 72 coupe. I tried to sell the numbers matching 72 coupe for quite a while as a project car with no takers. My 350 in the current car was tired so I decided to transplant it. I haven't had a chance to hang the pipes on the bracket on the end of the tranny yet. I am debating whether to put all new exhaust from the headers back. In the mean time I have a couple of pieces of exhaust wrap keeping it from rattling.

I agree with the stamina comment. It was a lot more work than I was anticipating.

Last edited by highschool67; 05-04-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I don't understand which car is which. Also, why does your 72 have a later model urethane front bumper?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by highschool67
I transplanted the 270 HP stock motor from the numbers matching coupe into my original 72 convertible that you see. I kept a copy of the numbers matching title for the donor car just for reference. The motor from the donor carried the VIN derivation and engine code from the body which was a 72 coupe. I tried to sell the numbers matching 72 coupe for quite a while as a project car with no takers. My 350 in the current car was tired so I decided to transplant it. I haven't had a chance to hang the pipes on the bracket on the end of the tranny yet. I am debating whether to put all new exhaust from the headers back. In the mean time I have a couple of pieces of exhaust wrap keeping it from rattling.

I agree with the stamina comment. It was a lot more work than I was anticipating.
OK, got it. Was the motor you had before the 'original', VIN derivative on the block? If it was I'd assume you'll hang on to it? Maybe rebuild it some time in the future?

If I understand you correctly, it appears you have a later year front clip on the Convertible which you'll be replacing this winter? You stated the donor car had front end damage, assume the brackets came from the donor but the clip is new?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just a bit confused.... IMO it looks like a nice car as it stands today. Replacing the front clip means a repaint. A lot of work.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
highschool67
Drifting

OK, got it. Was the motor you had before the 'original', VIN derivative on the block? If it was I'd assume you'll hang on to it? Maybe rebuild it some time in the future?

If I understand you correctly, it appears you have a later year front clip on the Convertible which you'll be replacing this winter? You stated the donor car had front end damage, assume the brackets came from the donor but the clip is new?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just a bit confused.... IMO it looks like a nice car as it stands today. Replacing the front clip means a repaint. A lot of work.
You are correct on the front end. The donor car had a new Ecklers front clip and 2 new headlight assemblies that had not been installed yet. It also had all of the bumper and frame submounts and brackets and new radiator support.

I had originally bought the donor 72 for the front clip and all the brackets. I also needed the seats,steering wheel and column for my current 72 that has a 76 column as you can see from the pics. I recovered the seats and now the are in the current car.

The old motor in my current 72 was not the original motor and had been replaced with an aftermarket 350. It was starting to smoke badly so I decided to swap it out with a correct 72 corvette motor. That motor was the 350 numbers correct motor I pulled from the donor.

These are some pics of the donor coupe.

Donor motor

Last edited by highschool67; 05-04-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Auto 1/2 done (don't try this at home) :>)

Quick Reply: 72 Auto 1/2 done (don't try this at home) :>)