Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restore or not restore that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What hasn't been said here is that there are two issues to deal with: what is best for you and what is best for the car.

A completely original car (except for throw-away wear items...belts, tires, etc.) is very unusual; and there are a select few folks who really value {and get off} on that kind of car. So, considering what benefit there is in keeping the car "as is" is a reasonable thing to do.

Now, if a 'survivor' isn't really your "cup of tea", then you have to decide whether to satisfy your 'Corvette itch' with the car you have or if it would be better to find someone who really wants/needs a 'survivor' and find a better candidate car to modify as you choose.

Only you can determine what path you should take with this car, but I would offer that you should, at least, consider whether the car should remain unmolested so that those who enjoy that sort of thing have the opportunity to do so. There are lots of other already-modified C3's out there to choose from. Or, not....
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm presently restoring my second '80 Vette. There was no question for me, the car needed to be "saved". This is a complete frame-off and once the dust has settled I will have spent around $38G (cost of car and restoration work) on the lady. I will never get that money back on a resale. But it's all good. I love restoring the car and when it's finished I'll have a brand new Vette, just like my first '80 back in 1980. The sentimental value means more to me than the cost.

This is what you must consider.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Droop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 80baby
i'm presently restoring my second '80 vette. There was no question for me, the car needed to be "saved". This is a complete frame-off and once the dust has settled i will have spent around $38g (cost of car and restoration work) on the lady. I will never get that money back on a resale. But it's all good. I love restoring the car and when it's finished i'll have a brand new vette, just like my first '80 back in 1980. The sentimental value means more to me than the cost.

This is what you must consider.
my friend and i evalutated the car on thursday on a lift. We used the ncrs 1970-1972 corvette technical information manual and judging guide. The body and interior are in great shape. The undercarriage and running gear need to be worked on. Mainly rubber componets. I would do a restore on the undercarriage and running gear not the body or interior. Stated before the vehicle has never seen rain or snow. We have all the original parts. What do you think?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Droop
my friend and i evalutated the car on thursday on a lift. We used the ncrs 1970-1972 corvette technical information manual and judging guide. The body and interior are in great shape. The undercarriage and running gear need to be worked on. Mainly rubber componets. I would do a restore on the undercarriage and running gear not the body or interior. Stated before the vehicle has never seen rain or snow. We have all the original parts. What do you think?
I think you'll spend a lot of money. Hard to estimate how much because I don't know how much of the work you plan to do yourself. As you get into it, you also don't know what you'll find. The "while I'm at its" are going to eat your lunch. When you think you are done, you'll find something else. Either enjoy doing it or don't get started. If I had to guess, you'll spend $20k to $30k and never touch the paint, chrome or interior. I know that I will with mine. The car will love it, so should you. Pride in your own accomplishments is priceless.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM
wgarneau
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Droop
I'm going to agree with the previous post and add only that some of the parts you are talking about will require a frame-off to get to.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Pride in your own accomplishments is priceless.
Well said...
Old 11-12-2016, 08:12 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by dboz
If we all took this approach, no cars would get restored since no one would ever want to spend the money restoring or lose the money when they sell. We would soon be left with a pile of derelict junkers. Someone has to do it fellas.

Some guys like the build process for sure. They like researching and chasing parts. They like the grease, the challenge, taking something crappy and making it great, modifying, making it all original specs....whatever.

As always with this board, most opinions on these cars revolves around money. How much you stole it for, how much you will lose, what is it worth etc. If these cars are about money, you are in the wrong hobby/market/business/entertainment/transportation.

You get into cars for the passion. If it costs money, so be it. You should NEVER buy a car if it is about the money. Get is because you love the car and you love driving it, and you love how you feel driving it, and you love going to a cruise, or you love hanging out with your buddies who help you build it, or you just love the time away from your wife, or you love to wash and wax it, or you go into the garage and just stare at it.

Not everyone's restoration is up to snuff. Some think a shiney cheapo repaint is restored. Some thing a new alternator, brakes, and wheels is restored, some think a few new interior bits is restored.

Ditto.

Quick Reply: Restore or not restore that is the ??