Sponsored by:

Seat belt restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
slopoke17
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Seat belt restoration

I'm in the middle of my interior makeover and was checking out my seat belts. They're not bad but could use some touch up, I really don't want to shell out $400 for a new set. I thought I read somewhere that you could use the interior dye on the seat belts? Is this possible and what do you need to do to prep them for the dye?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Interior dye will not soak in to the nylon material.... it will accumulate on the surface and generally make the webbing stiff. It will cover, but it will make the belt stiff as a board.

Your best bet is old fashion Rit Dye... Yes, like we used in the 70's to make hippy shirts.

I don't know what color the interior is, (hoping black) but you can play with the shades by tinting it to match.

The trick that I've used is to force the webbing as far forward as possible allowing the part that shows to be put in the boiling water and the buckle head to stay out. Labels can be removed and sewn back on when finished.

On retracting seat belts we use clamps to hold the webbing from retracting and place it in the water.

IMHO,

Willcox
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My original belts were completely useless. I have to replace everything once the interior goes back in. What I'd sell my first born for is a set of replacement belts ('80 Red) that have the GM logo on the buckle. From my searches to-date I have no problem finding replacement belts, but alas... no logos. Which I perfectly understand what-with trademark laws and all.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by slopoke17
I'm in the middle of my interior makeover and was checking out my seat belts. They're not bad but could use some touch up,
Are they beyond cleaning? Frayed? Seat belt restorers do a pretty good job of restoring belts by cleaning and even doing some nice work on buckles. I had my 78 belts cleaned and the buckle replaced for $150.00.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
...Your best bet is old fashion Rit Dye...
CAUTION: Do not use the good kitchen stuff for this. Buy a cheapo pot large enough to dip the belts. You do not want to cook with it after dying your belts.

...Yes, like we used in the 70's to make hippy shirts...
Ernie: you and me are old as Methuselah and remember tie-dye tee shirts. The younger generation doesn't have a clue what we're talking about unless Mom and Dad have shown them the old photographs.

Put a How To Tie-Dye on the Willcox site.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Baby
What I'd sell my first born for is a set of replacement belts ('80 Red) that have the GM logo on the buckle. From my searches to-date I have no problem finding replacement belts, but alas... no logos.
If you contact Tracy performance in Detroit, they'll likely have the belts you're looking for. I was in there yesterday, and found the Belt Sheath for a 75 I needed, an saw bin on top of bin of the orginal stuff. It's all original in reasonably good shape and reasonably priced.

As for the OP dye question... Wilcox comes through again. I did what he suggested on my T-top straps and they turned out perfectly without hardening. If it worked on that strap it should work similarly on your belts, too.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My retractors were all good but my belts were faded and stained from old age. I ordered replacement webbing from snake oyl here in Texas only because they were close to me and I took my belts to a local automotive reupholstery shop and he fully extended the retractors and cut and sewed the new webbing at the base of the retractor and they look and function just like new and I think he only charged me $20 per side
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally bought some new ones from ebay for about $200 for both. new retractors, webbing etc. I would rather know that my seatbelts are in good shape just in case. you can always keep the GM logoed buckle and use the new belts/retractors.
I know mine were pretty frayed and I'm sure sun-damaged and aged. I couldn't put my life into a sewn in replacement
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Ernie: you and me are old as Methuselah and remember tie-dye tee shirts. The younger generation doesn't have a clue what we're talking about unless Mom and Dad have shown them the old photographs.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
slopoke17
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. My seatbelts are actually in good condition, just faded and grease spots where they were left in the door jamb. I'll try cleaning them up to get some of the grime out and hopefully RIT has a similar gray to my smoke interior. If I have some extra time I'll throw in a couple of tee shirts!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...If I have some extra time I'll throw in a couple of tee shirts!...
Aha....someone else remembers tie dye.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Interior dye will not soak in to the nylon material.... it will accumulate on the surface and generally make the webbing stiff. It will cover, but it will make the belt stiff as a board.

Your best bet is old fashion Rit Dye... Yes, like we used in the 70's to make hippy shirts.

I don't know what color the interior is, (hoping black) but you can play with the shades by tinting it to match.

The trick that I've used is to force the webbing as far forward as possible allowing the part that shows to be put in the boiling water and the buckle head to stay out. Labels can be removed and sewn back on when finished.

On retracting seat belts we use clamps to hold the webbing from retracting and place it in the water.

IMHO,

Willcox
100%

I actually did this on a set of belts that were originally tan colored. By using Rit Dye, I changed the color to black. I used the belts for several years after that and never had any black rub off on any clothes.
So, if the belts are in good condition, they're worth the time and effort. You just have to know how to do it.

Steve
Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for the thread. I changed the interior on my '76 from red to black. The belts are in really good shape, but red. I was wondering about using RIT on them.
Sounds pretty groovy, man.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
Thanks for the thread. I changed the interior on my '76 from red to black. The belts are in really good shape, but red. I was wondering about using RIT on them.
Sounds pretty groovy, man.
PM sent
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

CAUTION: Do not use the good kitchen stuff for this. Buy a cheapo pot large enough to dip the belts. You do not want to cook with it after dying your belts. :
Now you tell me... No wonder my wife got pissed...

I just read this and I'm telling you.. I just spewed good Whisky laughing Mike.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you contact Tracy performance in Detroit, they'll likely have the belts you're looking for. I was in there yesterday, and found the Belt Sheath for a 75 I needed, an saw bin on top of bin of the orginal stuff. It's all original in reasonably good shape and reasonably priced.
I'll check that out Stroh. Thanks for the lead.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If your belts are in good condition and you don't need to change color, just reel the belt webbing out, clamp it to keep it from rewinding, and dunk it in a bucket of warm water with about a cup of Oxy-Clean mixed in. Let it set overnight, then rinse the belt well (two or three clean water rinses) and let it dry. It will be clean.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt restoration

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Google Ssnake Oyl. Awesome seatbelt restoration service. Provide your vin and they even replace the original label. Had them do my 71... Little bit pricey though but the quality and workmanship is amazing !
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...I just spewed good Whisky laughing...
Sorry. I didn't mean for you to waste the good stuff.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. My seatbelts are actually in good condition, just faded and grease spots where they were left in the door jamb. I'll try cleaning them up to get some of the grime out and hopefully RIT has a similar gray to my smoke interior. If I have some extra time I'll throw in a couple of tee shirts!
If they're in good condition, rather than do them yourself, experiment, and be disappointed, I would suggest using someone that has cleaned hundreds to get it right. I tried mine...didn't like it and paid to have them done. Like yours...they were nice just grimey and now they look quite nice.

But than you have 18 other opinions...here!

Quick Reply: Seat belt restoration