Sponsored by:

Confusion over name Stingray? Shark?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Are you sure about that? The 68 is called a Sting Ray in the sales brochure. Did they publish a cleansed version after August 67? I have only seen the version with several Sting Ray references.
I don't think they cleansed the sales brochure - they were likely already off to the printers.
But at least the car and the owners manual don't say Stingray on them.

It's known that a late decision was made to "uncall" the 1968 a Stingray - and that said decision was reversed for the 1969 model year.

-W
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
76GlassY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, if it rolled off the line with "stingray" badges on it's fenders, it's a Corvette stingray. If it didn't , it's a Corvette. Then again, maybe "We don't need any stinkin' bagges."
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have heard the history and can use it as reference information. But, this is not an important issue and you can call your car whatever you want. If other folks don't like it....tough, it's your car. If this kind of minutia is what some fanatics think is "important", oh well....
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Fortunately mine don't have 'stingray badges on it as someone at GM got the 1968`s right, therefore its leaving me to compare the styling of my Vette as a direct consequence to the Mako concept Corvettes {Sharks} ...they dont even remotely look like stingrays......1969 people can call theres any thing they want however there just a 'bling' changed 1968 and welcome to remove the stingray badges and join us Sharks.....
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Just FYI, in nature, sting rays and sharks are in the same family. They are elasmobranchs. All elasmobranchs have skeletons made of cartilage and 5-7 gill slits.

Could you say all stingrays are sharks? I guess so. But that's kind of like saying that dolphins are whales because they're both marine mamals who belong to the same family, the cetaceans.
INCEST????
If a shark and a stingray had a baby, what would it look like?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i not give up my badges so easy amigo!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Aussie79
Racer

Well here's my two bobs worth.

All C2's and C3's are stingrays in my opinion, GM's styling cues was that of the stingray and most are labelled that way. For what it is worth, I have never seen a production Corvette labelled "Shark", just coz Bill went fishing one day doesnt make the shape of a C3 a shark. he built a concept car he called the Mako Shark based more on the colors not the shape.

Anywho, just about everytime I fill up with petrol (far too often) I am asked about my Stingray, do I correct them? No, why, because a) it's just too difficult to have that conversation at a service station and b) the general public ALL recognise a C3 as a Stingray, why dissilusion them or confuse them? No cars were ever released with a shark badge and the public have no idea what a Corvette Shark is.

Purists repent, 68 owners are like me, they have a Stingray without badges, get over it.

Cheers, Dennis.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie79

Purists repent, 68 owners are like me, they have a Stingray without badges, get over it.

Cheers, Dennis.

Nope, I have a Corvette......
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM
jimo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Sting Ray or Stingray means nothing. just a styling term put out my GM to sell cars. at the end of the day its just a Corvette
What do you mean "just a corvette" !!!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

When someone asks if our '77 is a Stingray I just reply with a "yes". My thought is, they don't know cars very well if they are asking; it's easier for conversations sake just to say yes; it makes them feel like they knew something about a car and that makes them feel good.

IMO - every '68 - '82 made is a Stingray, emblems or not, but really they are all Corvettes first.

Adam
Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

did you know that a stingray is actually in the shark family....

oh darn saw Mgrad92 beat me to this...
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is fun....
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by PRNDL
...Are you sure about that?...
Yes.

...The 68 is called a Sting Ray in the sales brochure...
I know.

...Did they publish a cleansed version after August 67?...
Probably not. Note the C2 spelling (Sting Ray). New model year sales material was printed long before production began. Printed early enough to be available and in dealer hands in time for a potential buyer to have a reference when ordering a new car.

There is no Sting Ray/Stingray badge anywhere on a '68.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Just FYI, in nature, sting rays and sharks are in the same family. They are elasmobranchs. All elasmobranchs have skeletons made of cartilage and 5-7 gill slits.

Could you say all stingrays are sharks? I guess so. But that's kind of like saying that dolphins are whales because they're both marine mamals who belong to the same family, the cetaceans.

SciVette approves of this message!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
edxaide
Advanced

I have a 71 and regardless of what people think it says singray clearly. I like the term shark but for whatever reason outside of the corvette circle most people have never hear shark used to name a vette. it is a little confusing but the main thing is I enjoy my car and if people ask I just say it is a 71 Corvette!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
VetteHalen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the 1984 C4 "Stingray" that Rick Allen (Def Leppard drummer) lost his arm in?

"...and driving my Corvette-Stingray..."
http://www.defleppardsol.com/index.p...d=49&Itemid=72

to non-car people or non-C3 people it's easier for me to just agree "yup, it's a 'Stingray.'" though i do like calling it a "shark."
a C6 owner at my work believed the "Stingray" badge was a specific high-performance version of the C3, a popular misconception for some reason.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
boeing46
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
When someone asks if our '77 is a Stingray I just reply with a "yes". My thought is, they don't know cars very well if they are asking; it's easier for conversations sake just to say yes; it makes them feel like they knew something about a car and that makes them feel good.

IMO - every '68 - '82 made is a Stingray, emblems or not, but really they are all Corvettes first.

Adam
Excellent Adam. I really have wondered the same thing because I'm not sure if I've seen a Sting Ray emblem on a C3 but I wasn't looking either. C2's were called Corvette Sting Rays, if memory serves me? Beings that GM chose to leave off the Sting Ray emblem doesn't that make most of our C3's a Corvette like Adam said? I'm totally satisfied with the name Corvette but ya doesn't has to call me Johnson. Old dumb joke. C4 kinda look sleek like a shark. If I'm wrong be nice to a Vette newbie, just chiming in with opinion only.

Get notified of new replies

To Confusion over name Stingray? Shark?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boeing46
I'm totally satisfied with the name Corvette but ya doesn't has to call me Johnson.

Dating myself I guess huh.

Adam
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteHalen
what about the 1984 C4 "Stingray" that Rick Allen (Def Leppard drummer) lost his arm in?

"...and driving my Corvette-Stingray..."
http://www.defleppardsol.com/index.p...d=49&Itemid=72

to non-car people or non-C3 people it's easier for me to just agree "yup, it's a 'Stingray.'" though i do like calling it a "shark."
a C6 owner at my work believed the "Stingray" badge was a specific high-performance version of the C3, a popular misconception for some reason.
I think there are more than a few C3 owners with the same misconception.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteHalen
I can understand the confusion though. Many (most) car models have varying levels of trim and / or performance and an associated name or designation that goes with that car.. RS, SS, etc. Chevelles for instance - there is a Malibu and an SS. Those designations do reflect a difference in the cars.

Corvettes it seems, were just a mix of them using the Stingray name or not depending on... hmm I'm not sure. Doesn't seem to be any reason or rhyme to it I guess.

Quick Reply: Confusion over name Stingray? Shark?