Sponsored by:

Front Body Shims and door gap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front Body Shims and door gap?

I know I need to raise the front and add shims to aleviate the top gap on the front of both doors, it has sagged since I got it and is not factory gaps, they used to be closer.(1981 Model) Where do I loosen, lift and add the shims? I have the AIM, but thought I would ask here first, thanks. I know it is not rocket science, no rust that I can find that would have caused it. Maybe the shims just rusted away. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not so sure your gaps are because the front end sagged. The fenders and the surround are glued along two lines each about 8 inches or so apart on each side of the firewall, so for the front clip to sag there seems unlikely. However to move it, you're going to have to separate the front end from the firewall breaking the adhesive using a heat gun seems to be the method of choice. Then the two lower radiator support bolts and the bolts that hold the actual bumper on the frame need to be loosened, and you can move the clip.

I've not done this, but I've got the same problem you do and since I'm fixing prior poor repairs on my front clip, I've looked at doing this. Also, my gaps are only open from the belt line up, below the belt line they're good. I did move the clip on the very front just a bit, but that was to get the hood to fit better. I'm probably going to use the resin and filler I've used in other parts of my repairs to fix the gaps.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO, shimming extra on the #1 and #2 mounts raises the entire shooting match.. I ensure the tops of my fenders and front of the doors lined up before I re-glued the front clip on... How does the bottom of the fender and bottom-front of the door line up??? What's the rear gap look like... Worn hinge bushings will pull the door a little away from the fender... There's also quite a bit of adjustment at the door hinge, but that will affect the rear gap some... You got pictures of both gaps??? Hard to make a good recommendation without seeing the entire thing...

Rogman
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 81pilot
...Maybe the shims just rusted away...
It's possible no shims were installed. Presence or absence of shims would have been dependent upon the frame and whether the shim machine said it needed any.

Can you see any evidence of shims having been installed in the past?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you think the reason your front door gap has increased at the top you can either add shims to the #3 & #4 mounts or remove them from #2. My bet would be the hinge bushings and pins are worn and the hinges them selfs have sagged. There are shims on the hinges between the hinge and door frame, these will control the fit of the front of the door to the body. The hinge bolts to the body can be loosened and lift the door from the rear to correct part of the door gap at the front. This can get a little complicated, the door can move on the hinge and the hinge can move on the body plus what the shims can do.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Might help,

I don't know about your sources to compare with but this car is all factory gaps. If yours is other than this, then I would try to come as close as possible to it......

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Wait a minute. Don't you have to break the adhesive loose from the firewall? It's not as easy as just adding shims is it???
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Fix this at the doors. If the rest of the body mount points aren't rusted as you said, the shims alone wouldn't have rusted away.
Have a helper around to adjust the doors.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

If the gaps at the rear of the doors is correct, adjusting the door isn't the answer. I think if those gaps are correct, the answer is at the fender, and since it's glued to the firewall, you'll have to break the bond, or add material to fix the gaps.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 81pilot
I know I need to raise .... (1981 Model) .... Where do I loosen, lift and add the shims? I have the AIM, ....
Carefully review your A.I.M., as your car is a 1981, it also has a CENTER body mount (with rubber cushion) connecting the front bumper support (metal support) to the body. (Front of the car, top center of the metal bumper support brace - same for 1980-1982)

Be sure to loosen this center body mount cushion as well before you lift your 1980-1982.

Perhaps someone else will chim in on the possibility that the extra wide front door gap is the result of deterioration of this center rubber body mount or a misaligned front bumper support.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Body Shims and door gap?

Quick Reply: Front Body Shims and door gap?