Sponsored by:

? about front fender bonding strips

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default ? about front fender bonding strips

It says in the Glas Ra book that bond strips are a little longer than needed? Well, the new ones I have aren’t longer than the surround and they wouldn’t overlap the front door when put on (I don’t have them bonded yet) as they do in the illustration in that book. It also says to cut the bond strip the same length as the hood surround – they say not to cut it too short and that longer is better, and that this step is necessary with all hood surround to front fender bond strips. ??

My question is that if you do make the bond strip the same length as the hood surround, won’t that extra length (2” at the bottom and 1” at the top) make the hood surround and fender extend too high over the door? My original fenders “do not” have the bond strip the same length as the hood surround. It is 2” at the bottom and 1” at the top shorter to the end of the hood surround and fender. Isn’t that the way it should be?

Here are my originals not to the end of the fender

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm confusticated. On chrome bumper cars, the front corners of the bonding strips extend very close to the corner bolts for bumper attachment which would come later. With that corner in place, the strip runs down the fender line to the door.

Do you have the correct replacement bonding strips? Beginning with the rubber bumper cars, the strips are shorter.

FWIW: the stock strips in your pics look reusable to me. Do they get worse in areas not in the pics?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I'm confusticated. On chrome bumper cars, the front corners of the bonding strips extend very close to the corner bolts for bumper attachment which would come later. With that corner in place, the strip runs down the fender line to the door.

Do you have the correct replacement bonding strips? Beginning with the rubber bumper cars, the strips are shorter.

FWIW: the stock strips in your pics look reusable to me. Do they get worse in areas not in the pics?

I ordered them for a '69 - without a part # on the piece, I cannot verify if they shipped me the correct ones

the stock strips in your pics look reusable to me. Do they get worse in areas not in the pics?

yes, they were hacked off short in the front for a custom front end I had put on in 1974

Ok, no one has a reply to extending them to the "very" end of the top surround
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been a while, but I believe the extend almost to the very end of the upper surround and fender at the door side. IIRC there is a recess in the parts they bod to so that the fender isn't bumped out past the door

Jim
Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 70BBvert
It's been a while, but I believe the extend almost to the very end of the upper surround and fender at the door side. IIRC there is a recess in the parts they bod to so that the fender isn't bumped out past the door

Jim
Thanks Jim - I will look for that "recess" in the dog leg that you are talking about. Fred
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Thanks Jim - I will look for that "recess" in the dog leg that you are talking about. Fred
Don't know how clear these are, but I snapped a couple pics for you at Carlisle

Jim
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Jim,
Thanks - I appreciate you efforts. My right side has a slight cut-out (unless the cut out came about when I chiseled the old fender off) while the left side definately does not. As mentioned, my original fenders do not have the bonding strips extended to the very edge. Maybe the '69 model is different. In any event, the new bonding strips seem to extend to the same length as the originals - about an inch short from the extreme end. Either the '69 is that way or my new bonding strips were made too short. I'm working on it.
Regards, Fred

ps. buy anything interesting at Carlisle.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

It's easy to accidentally chisel the pieces off during removal. The bonding strip stops short of the last piece by the door.

Nothing exciting, spent most of the time selling stuff. Did buy an extra 15 x 8 rim for a spare tire - $20 All I did so far was wash it

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

- Be sure to post a photo after you shoot it with a coat of Rally Wheel Silver.
Regards and thanks, Fred

Get notified of new replies

To ? about front fender bonding strips

Quick Reply: ? about front fender bonding strips