Sponsored by:

good bye Cinnabar

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good bye Cinnabar

just got my 4 cans of black dye, arm rest repair kit, and interior screw kit.
still waiting on the new windshield bar and carpet and primer.

Anyone dye their door panels a different colour? I just pulled off the driver side panel and was thinking of trying to dye it before buying new.

I think I am going to go with black bolsters and white centers on the seats.
I'm trying to fix my power locks too while I'm at it. I just took of the switch and sprayed both ends with WD40 and got it to work when you unlock but not lock,
I'm not sure if I should just buy new switches or do pass side first, maybe it needs a clean connection on both sides to work properly.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:10 AM
straitjacket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. i dyed my whole interior from red to black. i used duplicolor vinyl dye in the spray bomb. it looks brand new. not too dull, not too shiny. just right. i am considering having the local paint shop mix me up some orange dye that matches my paint , so i can dye the center of my seats between the bolsters. kind of undecided. afraid it will be too loud!. but hey if i dont like it, i can fix it for 7.50!
billy
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I used SEM interior dye. Changed light camel to black. The carpet on the bottom of the door panels was the hardest part to color put used a old brush and the same SEM dye. Spray and brush into the carpet. 4 yrs on the conversion now and holding up very well.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Originally Posted by spikebot 81
I used SEM interior dye. Changed light camel to black. The carpet on the bottom of the door panels was the hardest part to color put used a old brush and the same SEM dye. Spray and brush into the carpet. 4 yrs on the conversion now and holding up very well.

looks good! are those C5 seats?
I painted the ttop bar and the a pillars and put in a new windshield bar since mine was cracked in 3 spots. I'm going to give one of the door panels a shot tonight. So far so good.
I wanted to get it back together before FRI, only rain free day for next 10 days.
I want to get a couple more rides in before dropping insurance for winter.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Originally Posted by straitjacket
yep. i dyed my whole interior from red to black. i used duplicolor vinyl dye in the spray bomb. it looks brand new. not too dull, not too shiny. just right. i am considering having the local paint shop mix me up some orange dye that matches my paint , so i can dye the center of my seats between the bolsters. kind of undecided. afraid it will be too loud!. but hey if i dont like it, i can fix it for 7.50!
billy
I think orange will look great I have seen one around here with custom orange/white interior. It looks nice.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 81$$pit

Anyone dye their door panels a different colour? I just pulled off the driver side panel and was thinking of trying to dye it before buying new.

I'm trying to fix my power locks too while I'm at it. I just took of the switch and sprayed both ends with WD40 and got it to work when you unlock but not lock,
I'm not sure if I should just buy new switches or do pass side first, maybe it needs a clean connection on both sides to work properly.
I have a cinnabar interior that is completely redone and it looks great. I hate to see someone spray over the rarest interior color in a C3. Those Cinnabar parts would sell on ebay. Just sayin.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM
C3bdj1
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 81pilot
I have a cinnabar interior that is completely redone and it looks great. I hate to see someone spray over the rarest interior color in a C3. Those Cinnabar parts would sell on ebay. Just sayin.

Did I mention ?

Bobby
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Originally Posted by 81pilot
it would have been cheaper to keep it too but my wife hates the red. It is so faded it looks orange but I could have got by with carpet and seats.
I kind of wanted something custom and I didnt see an option for cinnabar and white seats but the 82 dark red looked close.

I will try and post some before / after PICS when I get done.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
indydoug
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by straitjacket
...dye the center of my seats between the bolsters. kind of undecided. afraid it will be too loud!
There are several examples of two tone seats on this site, here is one:

I'm part way through changing to black. I'm curious to see how your door panels turn out, I think mine are salvageable. Spikebot's pics are encouraging!

Last edited by indydoug; 10-11-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Just a couple of pics of Cinnabar iin good shape...I think every nice interior regardless of color looks good.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Todd Maciey
1st Gear

I just bought a 81 vette last week-end. Not only does it have a CINNABAR interior but it also has CLOTH!! (velour) seats. The car is in great shape and I believe also a rare option. Any input would be great. Oh ya Its For Sale too.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd Maciey
I just bought a 81 vette last week-end. Not only does it have a CINNABAR interior but it also has CLOTH!! (velour) seats. The car is in great shape and I believe also a rare option. Any input would be great. Oh ya Its For Sale too.
A lot of them were cloth but changed out after they wore out. Mine was originally cloth Cinnabar as well. Show us some pics...We love Pics!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Originally Posted by indydoug
There are several examples of two tone seats on this site, here is one:

I'm part way through changing to black. I'm curious to see how your door panels turn out, I think mine are salvageable. Spikebot's pics are encouraging!
Mine came out pretty good. probably not as nice as new but so far its looking pretty.
good. where did you get your seat covers? I want the same but with white. I was thinking of getting a white pillow for the middle just to set it off as well. The shifter boot would be cool white as well but that would be hard to die white over black.

Get notified of new replies

To good bye Cinnabar

Quick Reply: good bye Cinnabar