Sponsored by:

Speakers for kick panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Speakers for kick panel

Would these speakers be good to put into my 76 kick panels? the price looks right

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1982.html
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'd work, but spend a few bucks more and get the best.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No. They are 4" speakers. You want to buy larger speakers for better low frequency production-- 4"x10" (that was the size of the speakers in '68/69 kick panels), 5"x7", or 5.25" round. Your car already has 4" speakers in the dash which is a good thing, as high frequencies reflect well off of glass, so you can get good frequency response with both.

If you have the original Delco head in the car, it has a 10 ohm output impedence that you need to match with those speakers. My solution was to purchase new (better quality) 4" speakers for the dash and larger speakers for the kick panel areas...all should be 4 ohm speakers...then wire the two speakers for each side in series to get 8 ohm total. It's a good match for the amp head and will allow amp to produce a bit more volume.

Even though the radio/amp head is 40 years old, I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from it through those new speakers.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thank you guys, currently there are/were no speakers in it until I threw a cheap walmart set in the back so I had at least something to listen too. The head unit is stock and is lacking. My interior needs to be completely gone through so I will put speakers in the dash when that time comes, I just was thinking that if those speakers in the link were descent I would put them in the kick panels since that was an easy install, well relatively speaking that is.

So, having said that, are those infinity speakers a good speaker to put into said kick panels? Thanks for the help and information
Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

You can put any speakers you want in the kick panel area. But, bigger is better...as long as you can fit it into the area available behind the panel. You can mount the speaker frame(s) to the metal bulkhead supports under that panel.

P.S. The right-side dash panel is easy to remove and change its dash speaker. Driver's-side is not so easy; but you CAN get to it without removing the upper dash pad. You need to loosen/drop the steering column and then pull 'out' the lower dash pad just enough to squeeze your hand in. Do the right side first, so you will know what you're doing when you do the left.

If you install new [4 ohm] speakers in the dash and in the kick panel areas, I assure you that the Delco unit will perform and sound more than adequate.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You can put any speakers you want in the kick panel area. But, bigger is better...as long as you can fit it into the area available behind the panel. You can mount the speaker frame(s) to the metal bulkhead supports under that panel.

P.S. The right-side dash panel is easy to remove and change its dash speaker. Driver's-side is not so easy; but you CAN get to it without removing the upper dash pad. You need to loosen/drop the steering column and then pull 'out' the lower dash pad just enough to squeeze your hand in. Do the right side first, so you will know what you're doing when you do the left.

If you install new [4 ohm] speakers in the dash and in the kick panel areas, I assure you that the Delco unit will perform and sound more than adequate.
thanks, any hints on what size speakers would fit, it's a 76, and I'm thinking you are talking about mounting them in the area where the body mount bolt is, is that correct?

Some rocket scientist recovered the dash pad, and not very well I might add, and covered up the speaker grills. When I first saw it I thought something was wrong but couldn't quite figure it out but then remembered my 76 I had back when had speakers up there. They will have to wait until I get new dash parts and put it all together... the rears I got are 4 ohms, that's what I'll get for kick panels and dash.

Thanks again for your help
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

See Post #3 for some sizes of speakers for the kick panel area. Install the speakers immediately behind where all those little holes are located on the kick panel; those are there to emit the sound from speakers in the 68/69 cars.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
See Post #3 for some sizes of speakers for the kick panel area. Install the speakers immediately behind where all those little holes are located on the kick panel; those are there to emit the sound from speakers in the 68/69 cars.
Roger that, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers for kick panel

Quick Reply: Speakers for kick panel