Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump to Carb Plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Fuel Pump to Carb Plumbing

Getting ready to install fuel pump, which is a 110gph Edelbrock pump. I would like to get ideas on how to plumb the fuel line up to the carb. My set-up does not have a return line. I would like to install some sort of inline fuel filter somewhere like midway between the pump and the inlet of the fuel line to the carb. Possibly mount the filter to the front of the passenger side head or something? I did a search and came up with a few photos from Lars and a few other guys, but would like to see how others have routed their fuel lines/filters from the pump to the carb. Any photos that any of you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This was a vendor supplied L-88 fuel line. Notice the cr**py fit. I cut that line and installed a fuel filter just n front of the right head. Since this was taken, I think it's on Rev5 of the fuel line. The latest one fits perfectly, lays right along the rocker cover with plenty of room to get the cover off and is all straight. All -6AN hardware and a high flow T fitting.

Can't see in this picture, but there's a short radius 90* bend at the fuel pump, the line runs straight up to the filter with a -6AN flare, the rest you can see.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

depending on your funds , 'Lars" does some nice work with stainless lines
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Depends on the carb but you might be able to find a hardline with filter integrated as you can see in the picture. bought SS tube, a cheap tube cutter and a cheap bender. Added swadgelok AN couplings and after a day had a line from the pump going up and the 90 degree bend to the filter. (I prefered one piece but there was no way I could get it in).
Nick
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made this one from tubing and fittings from my local parts store. I used a stock replacement line from the pump and modified to fit the filter. It's a stock fuel pump.

I added a bracket for the filter later. It's a coil bracket from a Ford. It fits the ACDelco GF652 filter perfect and lines up with a bolt hole in the head.

Last edited by C6DuffMan; 12-27-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
I made this one from tubing and fittings from my local parts store. I used a stock replacement line from the pump and modified to fit the filter. It's a stock fuel pump.
I like those adapters on the filter and really like that bracket. I followed Lars' instructions and bent my own, and use that same filter. Will try to scrounge up some pictures.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I like those adapters on the filter and really like that bracket. I followed Lars' instructions and bent my own, and use that same filter. Will try to scrounge up some pictures.
The adapters are made by a company called Weatherhead. You can order them from Napa. The part# is WH 1446.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I did this one following Lars build paper. I like the bracket idea and will have to look into getting one.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Send Lars an e-mail and ask him for a copy of his paper on bending fuel lines, it will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

Scott
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Really???????????

I added a bracket for the filter later. It's a coil bracket from a Ford. It fits the ACDelco GF652 filter perfect and lines up with a bolt hole in the head.

[/IMG]
....and being made of steel, transfers heat from the cylinder head into the fuel just before it enters the carburettor. Is this what you really want?

I'm not trying to be a smart-****, but I cannot see any benefit from adding that bracket. If GM chose not to add a bracket in that area, perhaps that is a good guide to all of us not to do so either. All I can see happening is that the fuel will enter the carburettor hotter than it should be, and this could lead to hot starting issues on a warm day.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
....and being made of steel, transfers heat from the cylinder head into the fuel just before it enters the carburettor. Is this what you really want?

I'm not trying to be a smart-****, but I cannot see any benefit from adding that bracket. If GM chose not to add a bracket in that area, perhaps that is a good guide to all of us not to do so either. All I can see happening is that the fuel will enter the carburettor hotter than it should be, and this could lead to hot starting issues on a warm day.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
The 63 - 65 used a filter bracket as did the 68 - 69 with the GF432 filter. No issues to date.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I am not a big fan of the stock style set up. I went electric and ran an fuel line. I came off the fender well and into the back of the carb to eliminate heat.

this set up could still be done on a stock engine and carb. you just mount the regulator and filter on the firewall or in the fender well.

Last edited by 2000FRCZ19; 12-28-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
The 63 - 65 used a filter bracket as did the 68 - 69 with the GF432 filter. No issues to date.
There are reasons why fuel lines, filters and especially fuel pumps were all mounted at or hear the front of the engine and somewhat in line with the radiator fan airflow. Coolest part of the engine compartment. This is especially true for the mech fuel pump where vapor pressure can be critical.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Your biggest hurdle is going to be getting AN fittings to clear the crossmember. When I had my edelbrock mechanical pump I had to cut the 90 degree inlet fitting since it had more threads than the pump would take then I used a 45 degree hose fitting to the rubber line connected to the factory metal line on the frame, by doing this I gained enough clearance to get the pump in place. The rest was easier but the outlet line pointed at the harmonic balancer but with different angles I cleared it and went up past the lower radiator house.

I used a Mallory 3140 filter on the fender well then a fuel pressure regulator bolted to the cylinder head then a duel line to my Holley carb. The lines weren't custom made due to the cost but I bought the shortest available at my local speed shop to get things working at the time. I have since moved things around with the installation of Vintage Air and it looks better than in this photo. This was the only pic I could find and it has to be 2 years old but hope it might help some. Good Luck

Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for all of the photos and suggestions. I kind of have in my mind how I want plum the lines/route hoses, etc. Unfortunately, there are no local engine shops around my area to buy any of the fittings and hoses, so I will have to place an order online. Might be a week or two to get everything ordered that I will need. In the meantime, if any of you have some close-ups of how your hoses are run from the factory fuel line on the frame to the inlet of the pump, that would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM
0peakspeedshop
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weatherhead 1446 adapters from Peak Speed Shop

For anyone having a hard time getting the Weatherhead 1446 adapters (including o-ring) for this setup, Peak Speed Shop now sells them online.

Weatherhead 1446 adapters

Or, order a whole kit for Quadrajet Carburetor setup:

C3 Filter Kit from Peak Speed Shop

Go to: http://peakspeedshop.com/Zen_Cart/in...x&cPath=90_138
The following users liked this post:
Tewski (01-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump to Carb Plumbing

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump to Carb Plumbing