Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Hey everyone.. I'm new to this forum and am a corvette lover, but I don't yet have much experience with these cars though I'm hoping to change that.. Anyway, my intention was to join and learn from the community, but now unfortunately due to financial issues I'm going to have to let go of my fantasy build for now and sell what was going to be the heart of my muscle car..

The short story is a brand new GM engine in the crate was handed down to me in the family from someone who used to race them before I was born. Since I am the only car nut left in the family, it fell into my hands. For the last 10 years I have been trying to figure out what it is but all I could find was that it was a 350.. not much more. Now, thanks to the internet that's changed slightly, and I'm hoping to narrow it down so I can get what its actually worth and help it find a good home! I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this for me and help me put a price on it before I finally list it for sale. So between online searching and friends input, this is what I have so far and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here..

According to my mechanic friend this could be what is referred to as a “Counter Exchange” or “Warranty Block” or more commonly called a “CE” block? the number on the crate was missing a 6 in the middle because of the strap used to hold the crate closed.. found that out after 5 years of nothing matching the number haha. The actual number is 3966921, which apparently was essentially an over the counter "short block" or "partial" 1969 LT1 engine..

He told me this block is the complete lower end and could be the correct LT1 warranty replacement for a 1970 350 4 Bolt Main for a 1970 Camaro or Corvette. It is 11:1 Compression Ratio. All of the parts seem to be correct for the 370 HP LT1. This motor is dated “H” (I don't know how to read these date codes or if I'm even reading the right numbers). He told me it would be a correct replacement motor for any 1970 dated LT1 car.

Specs I have are:

Suffix (on front pad where VIN usually is?): CEB1330
Casting: 25 GM 3970010
Date: H 38 0
Pistons: 3959456 11:1
Crank: forged steel crank (Cant find part number yet)
Cam: 3972182 or 3972178 (cant see the cam number)
Main Caps: 3861 GM 348
LT1 "pink" rods, forged steel, shot peened, high RPM rod bolts

Now that I KIND of know what this engine actually is I'm sort of excited and don't want to give it up, but does anyone know what its actually worth? It needs a good cleaning from sitting in my families garage for 45 years haha but its BRAND new! I was told by someone that these original forged GM crankshafts are VERY hard to come by and might be worth several thousand by itself.. Anyway, please check out the pics and any new info greatly appreciated! thanks!

Pics are in this thread I started in other section, sorry I didn't think of posting it here first!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...gine-help.html
Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

http://books.google.com/books?id=MrG...966921&f=false

IF that is in fact what it is, I used the 3972178 cam in a 327 and had a great time with it. It was in a 67 Chevelle, but loads of fun. (Until Dad figured out what I had done)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by iMechanic
Hey everyone.. I'm new to this forum and am a corvette lover, but I don't yet have much experience with these cars though I'm hoping to change that.. Anyway, my intention was to join and learn from the community, but now unfortunately due to financial issues I'm going to have to let go of my fantasy build for now and sell what was going to be the heart of my muscle car..

The short story is a brand new GM engine in the crate was handed down to me in the family from someone who used to race them before I was born. Since I am the only car nut left in the family, it fell into my hands. For the last 10 years I have been trying to figure out what it is but all I could find was that it was a 350.. not much more. Now, thanks to the internet that's changed slightly, and I'm hoping to narrow it down so I can get what its actually worth and help it find a good home! I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this for me and help me put a price on it before I finally list it for sale. So between online searching and friends input, this is what I have so far and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here..

According to my mechanic friend this could be what is referred to as a “Counter Exchange” or “Warranty Block” or more commonly called a “CE” block? the number on the crate was missing a 6 in the middle because of the strap used to hold the crate closed.. found that out after 5 years of nothing matching the number haha. The actual number is 3966921, which apparently was essentially an over the counter "short block" or "partial" 1969 LT1 engine..

He told me this block is the complete lower end and could be the correct LT1 warranty replacement for a 1970 350 4 Bolt Main for a 1970 Camaro or Corvette. It is 11:1 Compression Ratio. All of the parts seem to be correct for the 370 HP LT1. This motor is dated “H” (I don't know how to read these date codes or if I'm even reading the right numbers). He told me it would be a correct replacement motor for any 1970 dated LT1 car.

Specs I have are:

Suffix (on front pad where VIN usually is?): CEB1330
Casting: 25 GM 3970010
Date: H 38 0
Pistons: 3959456 11:1
Crank: forged steel crank (Cant find part number yet)
Cam: 3972182 or 3972178 (cant see the cam number)
Main Caps: 3861 GM 348
LT1 "pink" rods, forged steel, shot peened, high RPM rod bolts

Now that I KIND of know what this engine actually is I'm sort of excited and don't want to give it up, but does anyone know what its actually worth? It needs a good cleaning from sitting in my families garage for 45 years haha but its BRAND new! I was told by someone that these original forged GM crankshafts are VERY hard to come by and might be worth several thousand by itself.. Anyway, please check out the pics and any new info greatly appreciated! thanks!

Pics are in this thread I started in other section, sorry I didn't think of posting it here first!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...gine-help.html
I would see if you can get someone to post it for sale on the NCRS board; I'm sure you'll get some serious interest over there.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

That is an invalid date code so we couldn't give you a real estimate. might be a H 3 8 which would be a 1978 code, you may not have what you think you have.

looks like it was put away dry, rusted cylinder bores, and might be seized so kiss those pistons goodbye. will need at best a hone and fresh rings.. at worst a total rebuild...

sorry.. it is not worth much..
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Is the engine painted blue? If so, wouldn't that indicate post 1977 build date?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There were no Corvette 1969 LT-1s. 1970 LT-1s used the 010 block. Looks like you have an LT-1 short block.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-26-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi iM,
Welcome!
I believe the value in the engine you have is in it's parts.
An LT-! engine has serious value when the stamp pad has a serial number derivative stamped on it that ties it to a particular car, …. then the present owner of that car may or may not be VERY interested in it; OR has a an assembly date and suffix code but NO serial derivative stamp which allows it to be appropriate for cars built during a certain period of time.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

3966921 was the specific part number for the 1970 LT-1 shortblock.

Unfortunately, your casting date and the CE stamp really do limit its value, as well as the condition.

To Easy Mike's post, there were no factory produced 1969 LT-1 corvettes, but the LT-1 engine parts were produced and some installed by the dealer.

As to your "value" question, there was a 3966921 CE (Chevrolet Engine) block for sale for $3000 about 5 years ago.

Last edited by LeMans Pete; 02-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Aah thanks for all the info! I really can't see any numbers on the cam, I was just going by what I found online.. But mainly going by the casting number that said it was an LT-1 short block.

I know it has no vin number but I believe it was purchased directly from GM, it even says parts division on the side of the crate.. I wish I could nail down exactly when it was purchased. Is the H38 an actual date code then? Where is the date code supposed to be? Are there any other numbers on any other parts that I missed that could help here?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

But mainly going by the casting number that said it was an LT-1 short block.
There's no casting number that identifies an engine as an LT-! or any other engine option.

I know it has no vin number but I believe it was purchased directly from GM, it even says parts division on the side of the crate.. I wish I could nail down exactly when it was purchased. Is the H38 an actual date code then? Where is the date code supposed to be? Are there any other numbers on any other parts that I missed that could help here?
The CE stamping (Chevrolet Engine) identifies this as an over the counter short block or warranty replacement assembly. Not rare at all.

For the casting date of the block, use this

To help find the date code.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Did that expert "someone" who told you the crank might be worth a couple thousand offer to buy it? I'm sure not, because he led you seriously astray. He added an extra zero.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
iMechanic
Cruising

Originally Posted by 62corvette
Did that expert "someone" who told you the crank might be worth a couple thousand offer to buy it? I'm sure not, because he led you seriously astray. He added an extra zero.
Thanks for the date code help, I will check it out later!

As far as the crank, he said there are a lot of Chinese made aftermarket forged cranks available for $500-$1000 but they aren't as strong or reliable as the original GM ones.. Don't know how true that is but I've known him for 10 years.. He used to be a funny car driver, then head of a pit crew, now has his own business restoring and building old cars.. He's got an 800hp Porsche that blows ferrari's away so id like to thin he knows what he's talking about haha..
Old 03-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Jonathan Lightfoot
3rd Gear

I have a 5.7L V LT-1 (V0827HX) - 9S728328 350 Cubic Inch 4-Bold Main 11 to 1 Compression Ratio Chevy Corvette V8. I have assumed the original car VIN from the engine stamp. I remember it was a dark green 1969 Corvette Coupe which would make the VIN: 194679S728328, based on the numbers stamped on the engine block. I plan to get this engine rebuilt to make sure everything is in order for running on a mobile test stand. Also, I plan to install the original original solid lift cam, my father put in a hydraulic cam the last I remember. This is an engine that has been in my family since the early 1970's. My father passed away 8 years ago and this engine has been in my garage since then. It has not been run for about 20 years, but is was pampered by my father. I don't have a car yet to put it in so for now I plan to set it up for running in my garage periodically until I find a car to drop it in. Overall the engine is low mileage (20K or so) and I will first make sure all the bearings and races are good to go prior to hearing it rumble again. I also plan strip the old pain off the block and put a nice Chevrolet orange paint job on it and replace all the gaskets to make sure it is like new. I've read the thread about the rare 1969 LT-1. I am sure this is in fact the engine I have. My father traded it in 1970 when the original owner wanted a big-block. My father built that engine and traded it for the LT-1. We had the "LT-1" in about four different cars such as a 67 Nova that we ran at the drag strip, a 76 stepside pickup, a 78 Malibu and the last installation was a 1962 Chevrolet Impala 2-Door. After pulling it from the "62" it was pickled and oiled and put into storage in his garage until I inherited the LT-1 8 years ago. I'm looking for suggestions and feedback on this engine. How should I set it up? What should I put it in next. Would it be possible to locate the original car? Thank you for reading.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Open a new thread on the topic rather than bring up a 7 year old thread that might not fully help you get an answer.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!

Quick Reply: 1969-70 LT1 370HP Engine?! HELP!