Sponsored by:

rear spindle runout

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Default rear spindle runout

I will be buying new rear spindles for my 73. Has anyone found when checking their new spindles that they have excessive runout? Is this something suspension experts look for and and correct? For the record I will be buying U.S. made spindles and assume they will be concentric but just wondering if anyone out there has found less than desirable specs.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I do not know what the acceptable run-out is, (if any) on these spindles, but I did check mine the other day and found .0045 from true center, or a total of .009. These are brand new spindles and the shop that rebuilt the trailing arms in the first place, has them back to correct this.
This much run-out equated to about .0190 total at the rotor
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM
jr73
Drifting

Originally Posted by imariver
I think thats a lot. I wonder if you can see a slight wobble in the tire going down the road. It would be interesting to know if anyone has removed the studs and machined a few thousandths off the outer face to true it up.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Do like the factory did and finish machine the rotor face after installation on the spindle.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
jr73
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Do like the factory did and finish machine the rotor face after installation on the spindle.
thats a good idea
Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

If I was you I think I would track down Mike Dwyer aka tracgogg2 and ask him which spindles are actually made in America and which ones come in boxes made in America
Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by imariver
I do not know what the acceptable run-out is, (if any) on these spindles, but I did check mine the other day and found .0045 from true center, or a total of .009. These are brand new spindles and the shop that rebuilt the trailing arms in the first place, has them back to correct this.
Can you imagine the amount of run-out/wobble/vibration at the tire tread.

A decent machine shop should be able to "skim" the spindle face with the studs removed to less than .001 total runout...
then reinstall the studs...put the rotors on and torqued properly....
and "skim" the rotor faces true to the skimmed spindle hub---scribe an index mark on the spindle hub & rotor face for future maintenance (not exactly the best way...but would be half the cost of the "right" way).

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
jr73
Drifting

Originally Posted by redvetracr
If I was you I think I would track down Mike Dwyer aka tracgogg2 and ask him which spindles are actually made in America and which ones come in boxes made in America
one of our sponsors here "Zip" sells an American made spindles $149 http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
jr73
Drifting

hey Doorgunner not sure if my PMs are working, did you get my PM?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jr73
hey Doorgunner not sure if my PMs are working, did you get my PM?
No.....I'm getting bad service from my internet provider lately too!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by doorgunner
No worse than what came off the factory assembly line. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 03-02-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
jr73
Drifting

No worse than waht came off the factory assembly line. No need to reinvent the wheel here.
I know, I hope Im not getting carried away here, but like you said above the factory machined the rotor after it was mounted on the spindle. That would take care of it right there. How many guys are putting in new spindles then new rotors and letting it go. You've got to feel that in the brake pedal.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

A decent machine shop should be able to "skim" the spindle face with the studs removed to less than .001 total runout...
then reinstall the studs...put the rotors on and torqued properly....
and "skim" the rotor faces true to the skimmed spindle hub---scribe an index mark on the spindle hub & rotor face for future maintenance (not exactly the best way...but would be half the cost of the "right" way).
I had a machinist do exactly this when I rebuilt my T/A's. It didn't make any difference as the rotor bolts up to the spindle, if the rotor hub is not perfectly square to the rotor facings you have gained nothing. I really think machining the rotor once mounted to the spindle is the only way to fix the rotor runout problem.
Now, the real question, who has the capability to do this? Who are you guys using?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

[QUOTE=jr73;1586300085]I think thats a lot. I wonder if you can see a slight wobble in the tire going down the road. It would be interesting to know if anyone has removed the studs and machined a few thousandths off the outer face to true it up.

The rotor runout is more important than the tires. If you don't get the runout down, you will always have brake problems.
Have you looked at run out corrections shim plates. Worked for me.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
jr73
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Now, the real question, who has the capability to do this? Who are you guys using?
I will just take mine to work. I have an unfair advantage, I'm a machinist.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Pretty much what GM did. I should have had my buddy do the same, I figured truing up the spindle face would be all I needed. Live and learn.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jr73
I will just take mine to work. I have an unfair advantage, I'm a machinist.
AAAAHAA......someone who understands everything that needs to be done. Could you explain to the members how to use a dial indicator to index a rotor on a spindle hub to eliminate run-out without having to do any machine-work?

Get notified of new replies

To rear spindle runout

Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

AAAAHAA......someone who understands everything that needs to be done. Could you explain to the members how to use a dial indicator to index a rotor on a spindle hub to eliminate run-out without having to do any machine-work?
Followed by the aww sh*t moment when we realize that the rear rotor will only fit in one position and still have the adjustment holes for the parking brake line up.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Followed by the aww sh*t moment when we realize that the rear rotor will only fit in one position and still have the adjustment holes for the parking brake line up.

ROOKIES......what are we gonna do with 'em!?

(machine a new "hole"!)

Keep an eye on me, M.W. ..........I need all the help I can get.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
There are only 2 stock design spindles made in America, and they are both made by the same company. But sold by several companies.
The "good" spindles have less than .0005 runout.
Everyone is assuming the problem with original spindles is just runout. The machining from the factory is horrible. The face is not perpendicular to the shaft and it is not flat. Then add years of rust build-up, improper wheel tightening, and those curbs that somehow jump out in front of you, just make it worse. I have machined hundreds of spindles and none of them are flat. The case-hardening on the face is very uneven. When GM trued the rotor after is was riveted to the spindle they did not true the wheel surface.
The company that made the original spindles had to do so under GM guidelines. By the mid-seventies quality dropped severely. That same company makes the new replacement spindles with far better quality. The hub face is now flywheel cut, not lathe cut. The flange is thicker and more uniform.
Mike

Quick Reply: rear spindle runout