Sponsored by:

capacitor ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:34 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default capacitor ?

In this picture you can see a capacitor at the top. Somewhere I saw that it was a radio capacitor. I guess it is noise suppression? Anyway, do I need to use it anymore if buying a modern radio? How do I test it? And then where does it connect to? And does it connect to the + side or - ?The lead has a very thin sliver of metal for I believe to slide into a socket along with the prongs of something else.
Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by AWilson; 03-30-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The capacitors were for ignition noise suppression. Your AIM shows all of them in the U69 section. I don't know whether you still need them if you go to an aftermarket radio.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am running an aftermarket radio in my 73. I left all the capacitors in place but did not connect them. If you get any whining from you new radio, there is an inexpensive noise suppressor you can get to attach to your alternator, for about 20 bucks.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Actually, there were various capacitors throughout the car for eliminating 'noise' from the output of the radio. The one on the alternator got rid of alternator whine; the one on the ignition coil got rid of ignition pulses; the one at the brake pedal got rid of the voltage spikes when the brake was depressed/released; the one on the HVAC blower got rid of blower motor commutator whine; etc, etc.

The spark plug and wiring shielding also aided in elimination of ignition system electical 'noises'.

And, NO, you don't need it anymore. But, I suggest that you just disconnect one end of it and leave it in place for "posterity".
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. it is kinda what I thought.

Get notified of new replies

To capacitor ?

Quick Reply: capacitor ?