Sponsored by:

FANTOMWORKS C3 restore

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by VCuomo
Actually, I think he said he wanted it to look like a Thunderbirds plane. Since he had said he was an ex-Navy pilot, I wondered why he didn't say "Blue Angels". Maybe the whole story was just whipped up by writers who don't know any better. Or maybe I heard it wrong...
See post #38.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is the condensed version of the FANTOMWORKS '63 Corvette controversy.

This is part of what the owner of the '63 had to say about FANTOMWORKS' work:

Originally Posted by JS786366
... The car since the show has has nothing but issues. It's in another shop getting repaired. In the beginning I asked them for help but they wanted me to keep paying to repair thing I believed were the shops fault. I understood it was rushed but when you don't tighten bolts etc i think u need to man up and stand behind your work.
At least people can see how that shop operates on TV. They lost my business forever and probably a lot more than me.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

And FANTOMWORKS response:

Originally Posted by 63 SWC Builder
I am the builder of the 63 Corvette in this post. Up until I heard about these comments I had no idea there was a problem as I’ve received positive feedback from the owner. The owner is always welcome to bring the car in at his convenience; we always stand behind our work. As far as problems; the car was brought back after delivery for a leaking intake gasket which was replaced and the shifter (that we never built originally) failed later on and we rebuilt that and not a penny was paid for ether repair. The Vette never came back for any other repairs. We built the car to the best of our abilities and as with all of our builds, want only the best for the owner. I don’t claim to have a perfect shop and 8 weeks to do a complete build of a previously wrecked 50 year old Vette is a very very fast turnaround and it’s genuinely not the way we operate but we did it at the owner’s request. We dealt with a bent frame only 2 days before the wedding and we never got to fully test drive the car due to the schedule. As far as the build, several details were “left out” of the description of the work we had to do.
Motor/Drivetrain: Replaced 220HP motor because heads were cracked on the low perf motor. Request was for a bigger stronger motor. The engine castings were given back to owner. The 350 build was completed with the following: 2.02/1.60 Heads on a magnafluxed GM core that was tanked, bored, with new internals including pistons, valves, cam, springs, locks, keepers, hardened exhaust seats, tappets, guides, timing set, water and oil pump, aluminum Intake, electronic ignition upgrade. Complete clutch job followed by going through every part of the drivetrain and repairing/servicing as requested. New electronic choke 4bbl carb, fuel lines. Removed, tanked cleaned and tested the fuel tank and radiator.
Chrome/Stainless: Complete stainless steel and chrome exhaust system from exhaust manifolds to the exhaust tips. Chroming of all bumpers and replacement of most of the exterior chrome/badging. New side mirror, new fuel chrome, front lights and all new brake lights. Purchased and Installed OEM side rocker covers custom fit for side exhaust. Finally new wheels and tires in 17” selected by owner.
Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Suspension: Straighten bent frame from accident and 4 wheel alignment. All new power steering conversion from manual. Replace non-power drum brakes with OEM power 4 wheel disc brake system with OEM emergency brake, stainless steel lines, new trailing arms, all bushings, new master cylinder and new power booster. Custom suspension for requested rake.
Interior/Body: Gauge repairs, new carpets, new seat belts, paint and rebuilding of dash/console shown on the television program), new heater core. Repair accident damage (rebuild of back fiberglass on car), repair bonding strip issues, Stunning Viper Red paint, Split window top was requested and built but the owner decided he didn’t want it. Undercoated in tar based so it could be removed later by owner.
Electrical; Rebuilding hideaway headlights because motors were both bad and the actuator frozen. Engine & dash harness repairs, Electronic Ignition, Gauge repair and significant lighting wiring repairs.
Lots of other details but these are the major items. Timing of the comments is “interesting” in that the car has been on the road for months and these comments were posted only after the show aired. Is it really fair to “not say anything in person” and then post issues online without saying anything?
And the last word from the owner of the '63:

Originally Posted by JS786366
I am surprised you replied Dan. I had a few things I would like to mention. 1st on the cars repairs. I requested your help 3 times. Nov 17th my wedding day the car had a struggling reverse which fully failed later that day. Kind of funny watching my wife in her wedding dress pushing the car out of a parking spot at the hotel. You did however repair the vehicle and wanted to charge me $600 but after I pressed you backed off. I guess I figured I was getting a running car for 62K. Jan I told you about the car shutting off at stop lights. You told me it was a choke issue and it would be fine. I later found out this was a tunning issue on my own and fixed. March 29th called because car would not start. I told you there was a lead that had come off the starter. You said and I quote "I was on my own" there was nothing you could do to help. You did however offer to charge me $140 to tow to your shop and I would also have to pay labor to have new starter installed. The most recent isssue is bolts on bell housing coming loose and washer found in transmission. After the past 3 times of trying to get you to help me I figured why waste the phone call. I have owned since Nov but less than 1000 miles. I feel like unless I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt my issues were the shops fault you were not going to help me. If I had a customer that just paid me 62k I would jump at the opportunity to help him. Are you sure you rebuilt my gauges and painted my dash? I would be more than happy to bring the Corvette in to have those things done since you say they were part of my 62K bill. I will gladly post pics of my unrebuilt gauges and unpainted dash. You did inspect them but rebuild and painted nothing. On my motor I have a 300hp package with the original Carter 4bbl. I was just fine with that. You told me because of time and ability to get parts the 350 was the way to go. You said it would save me money and allow us to complete by wedding day. When you finally revealed to me my final bill you said this motor change contributed to the 12K overage. I dont want to be to hard on you Dan. I know this was a big build for 8 weeks. I just feel misled. This is nothing against your guys in the shop. You have a bunch of really good guys working down there. I am just expressing my customer experience. I feel you giving me a bill for 12k more 2hrs before the wedding was unfair and you know it. I should not have said the show was terrible. I guess I was being critical of the episode because my car was in the show and I wanted it to be bad *** and it wasn't in my opinion. Look at the end of the day its back on the road, where a Corvette should be.

Last edited by VCuomo; 07-30-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddalin
See post #38.
Oh, he definitely said "Thunderbirds" at one point, I just wasn't sure about whether or not he said he was an ex-Navy pilot.

Edit: I just reread my post and realized that in editing it I fubared it... I've changed it to what I was really trying to say...

Last edited by VCuomo; 07-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvftw
Dude made $$$ the old fashion way...he inherited it...
If he earned it...he wouldn't of pi$$ed it away like that...just sayin'...
It looked to me like he's a hard-working guy (as someone else mentioned, he owns an Italian restaurant). There were sentimental reasons why he was willing to pay what he did.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,439 Likes on 782 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You would have thought that after dropping $130K that they would have put the derby caps on the wheels correctly. Look at the final rolling shots and you can see them wobbling. Also, the paint around the emblems was horrible.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
tlxxtl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
You would have thought that after dropping $130K that they would have put the derby caps on the wheels correctly. Look at the final rolling shots and you can see them wobbling. Also, the paint around the emblems was horrible.
Yes, saw the same things...hmmmm
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

they probably missed some things, you can't build a perfect car with unrealistic deadlines. the guy with the 63 was a jerk and i saw right through him. the guy with the c3 unfortunately was a pile , but they gave him what he insisted on, and advised him correctly from the start.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The 77. In the end does it really concern any of us how someone chooses to spend their own money? Regarding the 63, 8 wks to restore that car? Heck the engine shop that did my rebuild took 6 months. Busy guy. The rest is a he said, she said. Nuff said.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I understand that when you try to do a restoration in 8 weeks things will be missed. The shop should have informed the customer that such a rushed scheduled will lead to glitches and tell him that he should bring the car back with any issues he finds.

It doesn't sound like the shop did this and wanted to charge the customer to fix the things they missed. Had it been a budget job I could have understood that. But at the premium price they charged that's no bueno.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:15 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 130k that should have in the corvette museum as the absolutely most perfect 77 ever built! Like I mean not even a dust partical on it. Like completed perfect. Which it wasn't so he got hosed.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:40 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the 77 C3, Cobra and 63. $130K for a 77 I had t see it. The Cobra? I have been around the Thunderbirds, F-16's and their shop at Nellis. We had F-15's then went to 117's. I can't understand why an F-14 fighter jock would want the Thunderbirds look, with fake machine guns and a vinyl wrap at that. But what the hell. The 63 was a rush job, but I loved the hard top they made with the split window for the 63 vert. That's IMHO.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

130,000.00 price....was a special

Buy ONE. ......get the next TWELVE 1977 corvettes.....

FREE
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have seen that show a few times, I don't understand the ridiculous prices he charges. I am hoping he uses the extra money for the Military Vet program that he supports. Building specialized muscle cars for handicapped vets.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think any serious car person who knows his hobby, would want this joker to do a restoration on a valuable rare car like a Boss 429 Mustang or L88 Corvette

This shop is for idiots.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 AM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw the episode when it first aired and have seen a couple reruns and each time I've watched it the owners of the two cars seem more stupid ..the Cobra looked 10x better before, the machine guns were absolute stupidity..and the 77 should have been scrapped and whatever 2-3000 it was worth and put it towards a decent 77($10k) put another $15k on ZZ4/5speed new paint, interior and whatever miscellaneous and you would have a better car for $100000 less not even Zora Arkus-Duntov "looking down" would know

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 08-06-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

OK, I finally saw this last night. Final thoughts.

I still think the owner is a bit of a jerk, but the '77 owner flat-out knew what he was getting into, made the big-boy conscious decision to spend whatever it took to restore Dad's car and obviously could afford it.

The shop owner warned him over and over that it wasnt worth it. I think he did verything in that regard he could be expected to.

The only thing here is, the guy's Dad passed 30 days ago, which could lead to an emotional decision. Still, its his money and his eyes were wide open. No harm, no foul.

I kinda wish the owner toned down on the constant use of "C3, C2" in his talk. Sounded like a newbie.

On the other hand, the Cobra owner was just a goof and that car, wrapped like a tuner and guns stuck on it like a Hot Wheels car, was embarrassing.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Obviously they had to just to go with the wrap to make it look like a fighter plane. Said he wanted it to look like the Blue Angels.

The cobra is a butt ugly car to begin with (and I say this as a die-hard Ford girl). That fighter plane job is a big improvement over what the thing originally looked like - I almost like it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To FANTOMWORKS C3 restore

Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM
movinup
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 63 Vette

I thought I saw a shot with the red 63 in the background. I've noticed on a few of these kind of shows that a car supposedly sold or finished magically appears in the background for a split second.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Regardless of the "window left open" story/explanation for the rot, was anyone else surprised the windshield was not pulled and the upper and lower corners inspected? Especially after the "silicone" find in the lower corners?

After $130,000 I can almost guarantee that car still has water intrusion and rot on the birdcage.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
The cobra is a butt ugly car to begin with (and I say this as a die-hard Ford girl). That fighter plane job is a big improvement over what the thing originally looked like - I almost like it myself.
You can't be serious..

Quick Reply: FANTOMWORKS C3 restore