Sponsored by:

Adhesive on back window of new convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 PM
golgi
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adhesive on back window of new convertible top

Had a new Al Knoch soft top, purchased through Willcox, installed professionally two weeks ago on my '70 LS5. Looked awesome! After waiting patiently those two weeks for the vinyl to relax and release all the creases, I dropped the top on the way home from work today. Even bought a nice window pillow to protect the top while it was down. Put the top back up when I got home and noticed adhesive on the inside rear window's bottom edge. Tried to figure out where the hell it was coming from and found that the rear window was covered all the way around the perimeter of the clear vinyl with the adhesive that they attach it to the top. The edges basically rubbed together with the top down and the adhesive got on the clear vinyl where it's now visible. Wtf?#! I thought Al Knoch was the best quality? This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Is there supposed to be overlapping black vinyl trim around the outer edge of the window that was left off? Anybody else have a similar experience? So far, goo gone is just smearing the stuff around. Afraid to use anything stronger... Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by golgi
Had a new Al Knoch soft top, purchased through Willcox, installed professionally two weeks ago on my '70 LS5. Looked awesome! After waiting patiently those two weeks for the vinyl to relax and release all the creases, I dropped the top on the way home from work today. Even bought a nice window pillow to protect the top while it was down. Put the top back up when I got home and noticed adhesive on the inside rear window's bottom edge. Tried to figure out where the hell it was coming from and found that the rear window was covered all the way around the perimeter of the clear vinyl with the adhesive that they attach it to the top. The edges basically rubbed together with the top down and the adhesive got on the clear vinyl where it's now visible. Wtf?#! I thought Al Knoch was the best quality? This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Is there supposed to be overlapping black vinyl trim around the outer edge of the window that was left off? Anybody else have a similar experience? So far, goo gone is just smearing the stuff around. Afraid to use anything stronger... Any suggestions?
Uh, contact Wilcox and Al Knoch before knocking them on the forum?

Pete
Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 PM
golgi
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I was more in line asking what would remove the adhesive without damaging the clear vinyl. Definitely not knocking Wilcox...not their fault. And by knocking, uh, I assume you mean reporting my experience?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I was more in line asking what would remove the adhesive without damaging the clear vinyl...
I agree with Pete. The folks at Al Knoch would be able to recommend the best method to clean the adhesive.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be residue from basing tape used in construction. Some oil usually removes it, WD40, etc. If you're concerned about the clear vinyl, vegetable oil is probably the least damaging. I've used vegetable oil on plastics that dissolve in harsher solvents.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I got adhesive on the side windows of my wife's SL500 when I put on a new top. Used a product called "goo gone" to remove it. the rear window I thought I was smart and masked it off with blue painters tape. Big mistake. still can't get all of that crap off and rubbing too hard dulls the clear window...
Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

OP: Did you ever get this resolved?

I think I am having the same issue on my AK top in my '61. Here is the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-melting.html
Old 11-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

RK-TECT in your thread says the Meguiar's works. (I can't remove it without using Meguiar's PlastX cleaner.)

Last edited by Easy Mike; 11-05-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Had a new Al Knoch soft top, purchased through Willcox,
Sure, call Willcox, coordinate with Willcox, and then maybe call Al. I've had some personal dealings with him. My experience was that he's pretty congenial and easy to get alone with. If you have a product defect problem, I'd expect that Al would unemotionally take care of it.
The soft top on my 68, the leather seats and foam on my 68 and70 Vette, and the 69 style headrests on my 68 were all from Al.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Al Knoch tops used to be of good quality . I installed many over the years with good results but in recent years I've seen the quality go down. I had a couple that were cut too short and contacted Al and got nothing but excuses and got no resolve. I recently bought a new top for my 72 which is still in the box. When I was buying it I asked what brand and was told that it was Al Knoch and was told that he only handled that brand and I was assured that it would be ok. Hearing this complaint doesn't surprise me and will make me take a close look at my top . Seems like nothing has changed.

Get notified of new replies

To Adhesive on back window of new convertible top

Quick Reply: Adhesive on back window of new convertible top