Removing a spark plug boot from its wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Prestige Worldwide
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing a spark plug boot from its wire

Hello -

I have 3 spark plug wires that are way too long at the distributor end. They need to be cut and rebooted. 2 are almost a foot too long.

I soaked the inside of a distributor end boot with silicone spray, but it still won't budge/slide off the wire. I tried pulling and gently twisting the connector up and through the boot with a needle-nose pliers - but they seem fused together.

Is there some other lubricant I should try or a trick to sliding a boot off its wire?
Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It depends on whether those distributor-end boots were assembled separately or molded-on to the wires. If they were molded onto the wiring, you will have to shorten that wire at the other end (plug end), instead. If both ends were molded, you will have to find some 'loose' distributor end boots or just live with the long wiring.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Try to slip a small screw driver between the boot and wire. If you can, it's not a one piece molded item. Work silicone grease(electrical or tune-up grease) into the space as you move the screw driver around the wire. Cut the wire about an inch above the boot, then grip the metal clip with needle nose pliers and pull the wire out of the boot. You're going to need a new clip to crimp onto the wire.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:29 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I was going to do what you are trying and ended up going to the parts store and buying a universal set of performance wires and re-making the whole set. If you start flexing and tugging on the wires you have you will probably break the graphite core and create a miss you'll never fix.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Prestige Worldwide
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate your replies.

I'll try the tiny screw driver and some Di-electric grease first. If that doesn't work - I just spotted these on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360737345441...84.m1423.l2649

Last edited by Prestige Worldwide; 08-20-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing a spark plug boot from its wire

Quick Reply: Removing a spark plug boot from its wire