Sponsored by:

Inside dash top question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inside dash top question

I'm posting this for the guy who bought my '79 project from me. He had purchased another '79 before this and the frame and birdcage were toast. He has taken my birdcage and frame (I gave up on it because it was rotted) and is going to attach his panels to it or something like that Anyway. He sent me pictures of my birdcage and the birdcage of his other '79. Both have the three compartment storage in the back so are of the same vintage. On his there is a complete metal panel across where the dash would go, whereas on the one he got from me, there are the three "clips" that the dash attaches to. Is this on his, with 40+ spotwelds, something someone else has done or is it factory and mine was hacked up? My '73 does not have this complete panel across..

Thanks

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi K,
From the intricate 'formed' details in the long piece, it appears to me to be something that was done at St.Louis.
There was a situation similar to this in 68-69 when the dash braces were added to convertibles. The mounting tabs added to the cages for the braces at first seemed to appear sporadically as though a supply of cages with out the tabs were being used up.
???
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you checked the AIM? I recognize the three clips and the spot welds look factory to me. If a different bracket was used, the AIM would show it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Have you checked the AIM? I recognize the three clips and the spot welds look factory to me. If a different bracket was used, the AIM would show it.

He just sent me the pictures this AM and I'm at work. My AIM is on my computer at home. I can probably check for him later. I'm not going to lose sleep over it but I told him I'd try to get an answer for him.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Well, I didn't find anything in my manual but I did go out and uncover my '73 body. It appears, although the windshield is still in, to be very similar to what he has on his '79. I'm thinking maybe this car was butchered at some point?

Get notified of new replies

To Inside dash top question

Quick Reply: Inside dash top question