Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in Starter Braces?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Once the 2 rear bolts mount the starter in place (with correct mesh on the ring gear), the front mount just has to line up with the starter frame stud. If the brace you have won't line up correctly, either drill another hole/modify it; purchase the correct one; or make a bracket that will work. You really need that front mount for supporting the weight of the starter AND for transferring good electrical ground from the frame/ground wire to the starter.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:59 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Once the 2 rear bolts mount the starter in place (with correct mesh on the ring gear), the front mount just has to line up with the starter frame stud. If the brace you have won't line up correctly, either drill another hole/modify it; purchase the correct one; or make a bracket that will work. You really need that front mount for supporting the weight of the starter AND for transferring good electrical ground from the frame/ground wire to the starter.
Correct mesh on the ring gear????
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes. The lash between the (engaged) drive pinion and flywheel ring gear needs to be correct. Sometimes, you find shims between starter and engine block to get them set correctly. Too loose and teeth get broken off; too tight and the gears chew themselves up.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Thanks 7T1, I did just that today. Didn't want to but altered the too long bracket by cutting a little triangle out , bend, weld grind blast paint install. It's doing it's job in there now and I made sure the ground cable is clean and secure for a good connection. The important thing for me right now is function since I would like to get the body on and the car running. I'll replace it later when I get some more parts. Thanks for the reminder about a good ground. The bracket is more crucial than I first thought because it really is the best ground connector between the motor/frame/starter Rick

Last edited by 69L46vert; 09-19-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Differences in Starter Braces?