Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan Electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:22 PM
jgonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator Fan Electric

Hi all; 1982 Crossfire - recently had air pump, cat removed, installed tight tuck headers and true dual exhaust with Magnaflows. Noticed the electric fan is not hooked up to anything. See pic. I am assuming it was hooked up to the air pump stuff. What can I do to re-hook so that it gets power and turns on/of when temp gets 180?

Name:  corvette fan.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  corvette fan plug.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  corvette fan plug 2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  76.6 KB
Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for a sensor between cylinders 6 & 8 on passenger side of engine block. Fan wires attach to this sensor. Fan won't come on at 180 degrees. It will be well over that before fan comes on. What did you hope to achieve by removing the air pump, cat, and installing tight tuck headers and true dual exhaust with Magnaflows? Did you put in an O2 sensor?
Old 09-19-2014, 03:16 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion18z
Check for a sensor between cylinders 6 & 8 on passenger side of engine block. Fan wires attach to this sensor. Fan won't come on at 180 degrees. It will be well over that before fan comes on. What did you hope to achieve by removing the air pump, cat, and installing tight tuck headers and true dual exhaust with Magnaflows? Did you put in an O2 sensor?

Maybe he hoped to achieve a little more horsepower. What difference does it make what he did to his car.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:20 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Maybe he hoped to achieve a little more horsepower. What difference does it make what he did to his car.
Take it easy, I am not criticizing, I am just curious...and what he did with the stock parts, which I am interested in (lol).
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

you can change the sensor out for one that turns on/off earlier.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 AM
jgonzo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The wires barely make it to ac compressor so I am assuming I need to extend. I will look for sensor however how does fan get power? I wanted true duals on the Vette and a deeper thriftier sound as well as performance. Keeping the old parts for future. Thank for your help.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Originally Posted by jgonzo
Thanks. The wires barely make it to ac compressor so I am assuming I need to extend. I will look for sensor however how does fan get power? I wanted true duals on the Vette and a deeper thriftier sound as well as performance. Keeping the old parts for future. Thank for your help.
The sensor acts like a switch. When a set temperature of the engine is reached, the "switch" closes and completes the power circuit to the fan. My wires also terminate at the compressor and the lead from the fan connects at that point.

Last edited by scorpion18z; 09-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The electric fan is stock. Near the AC compressor in the wiring along the right fender skirt, you should find the harness plug for the fan. You'll need a connector for the fan motor pig tail.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The wiring you need is part of the "Starter Extension Harness" as Mike said it should be along the fender skirt somewhere. The temp switch is a 2 wire contact closure type as opposed to a 1 wire to ground type. The stock switch it set to 280*, Way too hot to do you any good in a healthy car under normal driving, even in traffic. The electric motor is also somewhat anemic IMHO, especially compared to what is available these days. If you don't mind spending a few More $ you might consider switching out and going all electric, Spall Dual for instance. It will do a very nice job pulling air when its needed even if your rad seals are not perfect and since its controlled by actual coolant temp will probably do you real nice. Also gived oportunity to clean up the engine bay quite a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Fan Electric

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Electric