Sponsored by:

Street/strip car project

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
yankee88
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street/strip car project

So i got my first vette. Im planning on making it a street/strip car somthing thats fun to drive and make a decent pass down the drag strip. Im in between a building a 383 stroke or a 496 stroker? Along with keeping the corvette rear end or doing a 4 link straight axle? i have both a 350 4 bolt main and a 454 in the garage just need to figure which i want to go with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yankee88
So i got my first vette. Im planning on making it a street/strip car somthing thats fun to drive and make a decent pass down the drag strip. Im in between a building a 383 stroke or a 496 stroker? Along with keeping the corvette rear end or doing a 4 link straight axle? i have both a 350 4 bolt main and a 454 in the garage just need to figure which i want to go with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Are you going to build the engine yourself? I think the general consensus is you can't build it for what the crate engines are costing. I used Mark Jones at VortecPro for my 496 and I am very happy.

I am just finishing my '69 restomod, and replaced the IRS and diff with a Tom's unit. I just couldn't see going with a straight axle...btw, how fast did you want to go?

I think it depends on what era you grew up in. I wanted a well built big block with a bullet proof drivetrain. A lot of guys do the LSx swaps, it doesn't sound like that's an option you are considering. That was off the table for me because I wanted to avoid the computers, complicated fuel injection etc. No offense intended to anyone, just not my thing.

Last edited by lurch59; 09-23-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: unclear
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM
yankee88
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lurch59
Are you going to build the engine yourself? I think the general consensus is you can't build it for what the crate engines are costing. I used Mark Jones at VortecPro for my 496 and I am very happy.

I am just finishing my '69 restomod, and replaced the IRS and diff with a Tom's unit. I just couldn't see going with a straight axle...btw, how fast did you want to go?

I think it depends on what era you grew up in. I wanted a well built big block with a bullet proof drivetrain. I also don't care for computers anywhere near or in a car, they belong on a desk. But that's just me...
Im gonna send either motor to a well known racing engine builder. As far as how fast i want to go the only drag strips close are 1/8th mile tracks so it'd be mostly gearing and reaction time. The only reason i was thinking straight axle i have seen people having issues keeping the rear ends from twisting the shafts going to the wheels.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yankee88
Im gonna send either motor to a well known racing engine builder. As far as how fast i want to go the only drag strips close are 1/8th mile tracks so it'd be mostly gearing and reaction time. The only reason i was thinking straight axle i have seen people having issues keeping the rear ends from twisting the shafts going to the wheels.
Well, I think the Tom's axles will handle 1000-1200 hp. They are pretty stout but they ain't cheap. Also I suppose it depends on if you can fabricate stuff yourself for the straight axle. Also are you going to run an automatic or a stick? Ajrothm here has a '71 that runs 10's in the quarter and it is very streetable. That's kind of what I was shooting for...
Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM
yankee88
4th Gear

Nice ill have to look into that then.

Get notified of new replies

To Street/strip car project

Quick Reply: Street/strip car project