Sponsored by:

Outside Door Handle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Outside Door Handle Replacement

Has anybody found a trick for easy installation of that nasty rear nut on the outside door handle ? Not easy for big hands.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 AM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

the only way i can do it is to remove the door latch. take out the three large phillips screws at the back of the door and you can lower the latch to give you lots more room to work. sorry i don't have a picture.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep. I did mine (several times) using much the same process as oldboat describes. One additional tip I can offer would be to use a 1/4" drive 7/16" SWIVEL socket to remove and replace the hex nuts. The rear one is a bear, so be patient and make sure women and children are out of earshot when you do the work.

You might also want to have a few band aids handy. It's not the toughest job I've done on my car, but it isn't the easiest either.

If you are replacing your handles with new reproduction parts, and if originality is important to you, take the time and remove the silver paint that's down in the handle's well before installing. It makes the rough chrome plating look a little nicer, but it isn't consistent with factory production and at least in the earlier C3's, the paint will earn you a deduct. You can use a small brush and lacquer thinner to remove the silver paint. DO NOT attempt to remove the silver paint while the handle is on the door. Lacquer thinner is paint remover.....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by oldboat
the only way i can do it is to remove the door latch. take out the three large phillips screws at the back of the door and you can lower the latch to give you lots more room to work. sorry i don't have a picture.
I agree, that's the only way I could do it , but I still had a hard time getting my big hands up to that rear nut even with the latch out.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

One more thought comes to my mind on this project - double mask the perimeter of the hole in the body that the new handle will install to. When installing the handle, you will need to "shoehorn" it in and if not careful, you will scratch the paint and hate yourself. I used double thickness painters tape, removing it once the handle and gasket are placed and before torquing the 2 hex nuts to secure.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redrdstr72
One more thought comes to my mind on this project - double mask the perimeter of the hole in the body that the new handle will install to. When installing the handle, you will need to "shoehorn" it in and if not careful, you will scratch the paint and hate yourself. I used double thickness painters tape, removing it once the handle and gasket are placed and before torquing the 2 hex nuts to secure.

Hope this helps.
Even though we love these cars , they definitely weren't designed to be easily worked on. Especially the drivers side dash panel. Everything seems to be crammed in there.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Agreed, remove the 3 screws that hold the latch in place, and it drops down enough to not make it a terrible job. As I recall, simply used a box end wrench to put the nut on. Tedious yes; impossible, no.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM
PeteL46
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get one of the neighbors kid preferably a teenage boy. I don't have this issue, my wife is always ready to lend a hand; no pun inteneded. 5 foot 2 with pretty small hands. LOL
Old 11-27-2014, 07:40 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a few spare 7/16 wrench's and did some custom bends on the open end for a better angle at the back nut. Then I switch back and forth with the 2 wrench's to get a 1/8 turn at a time. Careful with the clip that holds the linkage. Taking the mirror off also sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Door Handle Replacement

Quick Reply: Outside Door Handle Replacement