1973 Corvette Value

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 PM
nurnay
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Corvette Value

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. My dad recently passed away and has a 73 Vette. I want to sell it. I'd love to keep it, but I can't afford to haul it out of state, nor can I afford to put the time and money into it that it needs.

I'm not sure what it might be worth. It badly needs paint and interior - this car has been in the Arizona sun for many years. But it runs and drives, straight body, has current registration, and appears to be all original (maybe except the rims). No idea on original mileage, I'll assume a lot, as he used it as a daily driver for many years. He purchased it in 1975, I believe.

Anyway, if you can give me a general idea what I could list this for, I'd appreciate it! I'm including a pic, I can get more if you need. I'll be back at his house Monday.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Sorry on your dad, I just lost mine sept 4th and it was weirder, he had me sell his pride and joy dream car right before he died thinking the step family would buck if he gave it to me...I would have loved to have kept it.
But I didn't have the space, time, or funds to do a frame off on an Avanti 2, got lucky found a no bs buyer, rare.

You 73...you will need more pictures and info for the more value savvy fellows here to give you a fair price on it...
Old 12-20-2014, 04:31 PM
nurnay
Cruising

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Sorry on your dad, I just lost mine sept 4th and it was weirder, he had me sell his pride and joy dream car right before he died thinking the step family would buck if he gave it to me...I would have loved to have kept it.
But I didn't have the space, time, or funds to do a frame off on an Avanti 2, got lucky found a no bs buyer, rare.

You 73...you will need more pictures and info for the more value savvy fellows here to give you a fair price on it...
I will definitely get some more pictures Monday. I meant to take more today, but there's so much to do with the house and other stuff.

Thanks for your response.

Mike
Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Pictures and details such as auto/4-speed, engine, air, power accessories, etc would really help.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:55 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I would think five or six thousand but if it was me, keep it, get it going and remember your Dad. It would put a big smile on your face.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 AM
belkerx3
Intermediate

Default Value

Your '73 is like mine and worth more to you than anyone will pay. From the one picture and the description I would say $5k would be at the very high end. I say this for a few reasons, '73s are not real desirable, paint is a HUGE expense and so will the interior.

Don't set yourself up with a huge selling number. Your best bet would be to find a way to keep it and one day give it the attention that your Dad would be proud of.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

If you can't figure out a way to keep it, or don't want to, take lots of pictures, and list it on Ebay.

It will find a home at a reasonable price. You won't get top dollar, but you won't get low balled either.

Make sure you determine if it is an original engine car, and put that in the ad.

Trust me, I have been there. Clearing up an estate is a lot of work, and putting a lot of time into one fairly common car is not worth the effort.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

come on guys stop trying to guilt the poor soul into keeping it,
Scroll up and read what I posted about my dads Avanti,
sometimes we simply can not do what the next guy thinks we should it very well might be what's right for him but not us and our situation,
sometimes our dreams differ to those of our fathers, and that is okay,
You know what did make my dad proud? the fact I sold his car in a painless way, that it went to a fellow who did have the means and desire to restore it and I am getting my dream car up and running...
Old 12-21-2014, 03:57 PM
belkerx3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The13Bats
come on guys stop trying to guilt the poor soul into keeping it,
Scroll up and read what I posted about my dads Avanti,
sometimes we simply can not do what the next guy thinks we should it very well might be what's right for him but not us and our situation,
sometimes our dreams differ to those of our fathers, and that is okay,
You know what did make my dad proud? the fact I sold his car in a painless way, that it went to a fellow who did have the means and desire to restore it and I am getting my dream car up and running...
You are right. If I left my '73 to my son he would sell it too. He doesn't have the heart for an old car. Hopefully my granddaughter will appreciate it. If so, it's all hers.

To the original poster. You have found the right place. Take lots of pictures and post them here to get a better value idea or in the For Sale forum to find a buyer who might put it back to its former glory.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by belkerx3
You are right. If I left my '73 to my son he would sell it too. He doesn't have the heart for an old car. Hopefully my granddaughter will appreciate it. If so, it's all hers.

To the original poster. You have found the right place. Take lots of pictures and post them here to get a better value idea or in the For Sale forum to find a buyer who might put it back to its former glory.
Please note...it wasnt a case of I didnt want my dads car or had the heart for it,
I am not in a situation to have kept it and my 69 vette, not all bucks up where I can have a bunch of cars...sentiment was one thing my dad didnt dig, he knew I liked the 69 better,
My dad asked me to sell his car about a month before he passed, he ask me to sell because he knew and let me know giving it to me would have caused a big mess with the step family.
My dad was all about making people happy and keeping the peace.
I did what dad asked me to, him being gone hurts not what happened to a car.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
nurnay
Cruising

Hey folks, I finally was able to get some more pictures. Haven't had time to get them posted. I have an Imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/gnyrT

Any feedback on a reasonable price would be appreciated! There's no way I can get this moved from Scottsdale, AZ up to Chico, CA, and I don't have the time or energy to do it justice in a restore.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM
nurnay
Cruising

Originally Posted by nurnay
Hey folks, I finally was able to get some more pictures. Haven't had time to get them posted. I have an Imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/gnyrT

Any feedback on a reasonable price would be appreciated! There's no way I can get this moved from Scottsdale, AZ up to Chico, CA, and I don't have the time or energy to do it justice in a restore.

Thanks!

Mike
Also, I believe everything is original. Not sure if carb is 2 or 4 barrel.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Interesting car that may make someone a good restoration project. It is a basic car, only options I could see was the delux interior and a radio. No A/C, PS, PB, PW, or Tilt Steering.

The big question would be, what is the engine? It has L82 valve covers but most of the other engine parts are non-original (wrong air assembly, HEI dist, no A.I.R pump, headers, etc.).

Tom...
Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Factory was a 4 barrel Rochester Quadra-Jet.

The HEI installed is not original.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM
nurnay
Cruising

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Factory was a 4 barrel Rochester Quadra-Jet.

The HEI installed is not original.
OK, thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:16 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

OK, I just looked through Ebay completed listings for 1973-1974 Corvettes in comparable condition to your car.

For Corvettes in this condition and options, 1973 and 1974 are effectively the same, very little difference in price.

I saw four cars (one 1973, three 1974s) that are comparable. Prices sold were $5000, $5100, and $5250, and $5311.

I would say ask around $5700, and be willing to accept $5000.

My totally unscientific analysis. Good luck with your sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
nurnay
Cruising

Originally Posted by emccomas
OK, I just looked through Ebay completed listings for 1973-1974 Corvettes in comparable condition to your car.

For Corvettes in this condition and options, 1973 and 1974 are effectively the same, very little difference in price.

I saw four cars (one 1973, three 1974s) that are comparable. Prices sold were $5000, $5100, and $5250, and $5311.

I would say ask around $5700, and be willing to accept $5000.

My totally unscientific analysis. Good luck with your sale.
Thank you very much! Do you know anyplace I could go online to copy and paste the basic info about the car, options, etc. into an online ad? I have no idea how to list this thing.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Corvette Value

Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If it runs and drives decent, you should be able to clear about $5000 for it. As suggested above, ask something close to $6K, then dicker to get a sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 PM
nurnay
Cruising

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If it runs and drives decent, you should be able to clear about $5000 for it. As suggested above, ask something close to $6K, then dicker to get a sale.
It does run and drive. I was thinking I'd be lucky to get $3k, glad I asked here!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So sorry for your loss, I'd agree with the advice you've been given. The marketplace tends to say 5 grand gets you home.....so $5700 would be my asking price also. Good luck dealing with your situation.

Quick Reply: 1973 Corvette Value