Old fuel tank disposal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:48 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Old fuel tank disposal

I've just replaced the fuel system including the tank. The old original tank had some pinholes. I doubt it's worth keeping for a possible future owner, but how can I neutralize the gas/fumes? (soap and water?) On another thread it was suggested that I cut it up because most folks won't take a gas tank to dispose of.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

P.M. sent.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:01 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by doorgunner
P.M. sent.
If you didn't get my reply PM, let me know.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnance
I've just replaced the fuel system including the tank. The old original tank had some pinholes. I doubt it's worth keeping for a possible future owner, but how can I neutralize the gas/fumes? (soap and water?) On another thread it was suggested that I cut it up because most folks won't take a gas tank to dispose of.
You are correct that the scrap recyclers won't take gas tanks unless they are cut in half to assure their employees that there is no chance of explosion. But as you know cutting it could cause sparks and explosion so it needs to be flushed. When I ran my business I welded many gas tanks and flushed them first with hot soapy water several time then dropped an air line in them for about 15 minutes with all access areas open . When flushing the tank make sure the tank is full of soapy water and sloshed around to be sure that all areas are clean.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

I'll clean it out tomorrow and hold on to it for a bit. I just don't want something laying around with an explosion hazard. I also didn't want to put something into it that might make it useless for someone that has a need and can repair. I am not that talented. Thanks for the info,...soapy water it is, several times.....
Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdXzBSVaU
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
You are correct that the scrap recyclers won't take gas tanks unless they are cut in half to assure their employees that there is no chance of explosion. But as you know cutting it could cause sparks and explosion so it needs to be flushed. When I ran my business I welded many gas tanks and flushed them first with hot soapy water several time then dropped an air line in them for about 15 minutes with all access areas open . When flushing the tank make sure the tank is full of soapy water and sloshed around to be sure that all areas are clean.
I rinsed mine out with "Dawn" dishwashing soap and water.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

For doorgunner:

Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnance
I also didn't want to put something into it that might make it useless for someone that has a need and can repair. I am not that talented. Thanks for the info,...soapy water it is, several times.....
If it has pin holes, it's really not repairable, get rid of it...expecially since you can buy a factory duplicate tank from Quanta for a little over $200.
I've bought two factory duplicate tanks from them.

The grocery stores around here sell solid carbon dioxide..dry ice. If you want to cut a gas tank up, etc, you have the option of dropping solid carbon dioxide in it to fill the tank up with carbon dioxide gas. The gasoline fumes will not explode or burn.

Close escape. My 68 had long had the gas tank removed. I wanted to remove the gas lines to replace them with stainless steel. I thought the gas lines were dry. Lying on my back with a dremel cutoff disk, I sliced into a gas line...cutting into the steel line, the cutoff disk threw out a shower of sparks as it cut through the metal...all of a sudden, the sparks stopped and the dremel cutoff disk wetted...I stopped and pulled it out of the slot in the gas line I'd cut...gasoline flowed out! The wetting of the cutoff disk was gasoline...just amazing that I didn't get a flame!!! This all happened pretty much above my face.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 PM
mtnance
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

You're lucky. Not only from a in your face event but that the car itself didn't catch. I recently has a medium size trash can fire at the corner of my garage (outside) and the little extinguisher I had lasted 5 seconds. It was a complete waste of 5 seconds. The garden hose was handy. I had a wake up call and now have two medium sized extinguishers in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Old fuel tank disposal

Quick Reply: Old fuel tank disposal