Sponsored by:

'80 c3????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default '80 c3????

I just joined a couple days ago, and I hope I'm not being out of line by asking a question already:
I have a chance to buy an '80 Vette w/ 350 4 speed w/ only 37,000 miles for $8400. This will be my 1st Vette....
I've read some info about the '80 being "one of the worst Vette's made"....and really would appreciate as much feedback as possible, as I'm suppose to pick this up on Jan. 1st. I haven't put any $$ down toward it.....It looks to be in real GOOD shape, guy has never had it in the rain, snow, etc.
I appreciate your comments asap, as Jan. 1 is coming up SOON!!
Thanks!
Jerry from S. Mi.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Well...we need pics to gauge it right,
I owned two 81's I never knew 80 was knew 80 was the worse year ever,

Low miles 80 with a 4 speeds never in bad weather for just over 8K sounds wonderful...what's the catch? wait in a place with snow? is the frame rusted out?...never had it in snow, okay.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Well...we need pics to gauge it right,
I owned two 81's I never knew 80 was knew 80 was the worse year ever,

Low miles 80 with a 4 speeds never in bad weather for just over 8K sounds wonderful...what's the catch? wait in a place with snow? is the frame rusted out?...never had it in snow, okay.
The pics are all on Craig's List....I don't know to get them here, but there is a "email to a friend" option....IF you want, gimme yer email & I'll send 'em to you....cuz I really would appreciate a seasoned opinion!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
The pics are all on Craig's List....I don't know to get them here, but there is a "email to a friend" option....IF you want, gimme yer email & I'll send 'em to you....cuz I really would appreciate a seasoned opinion!
the13bats@aol.com

I will in turn post it for others to see...

So far if the car is rust free sounds like a dream buy...but I do like the 80-82's
Old 12-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

the13bats@aol.com

I will in turn post it for others to see...

So far if the car is rust free sounds like a dream buy...but I do like the 80-82's
Here is the best I can do...I think!! Sorry for the hassle!
http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/4750440253.html
WOW...I just clicked on it....and it worked!!

The guy did say (just a little while ago) that:
The power windows stop about 2-3" from going all the way up,
A/C needs charged
Has manual door locks
Pass side headlight doesn't come up (Sounds like a simple vacuum leak to me)
Some bubbles on the hood
Driver seat has a small split toward the back of the seat
Carpet a bit faded
Steering wheel cracked from the sun

He bought it in '98

He replaced brakes
Pass side front ball joint replaced about 10 yrs ago
Has dual Flowmasters
Has K&N air filter

Last edited by Sluefoot; 12-23-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Here is the best I can do...I think!! Sorry for the hassle!
http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/4750440253.html
That works, people can see the pictures,
I love the black not crazy aboutthe interior color, the car looks uber stock and unmolested, normal wear item will start to wear out if you start daily driving it, it's been listed a month so I am wrong that the price is super great, otherwise it would be gone,

Start going down the line, make sure all the things work, AC, power things etc, check frame for rust issues,

With the link others will chime in with more info, if you like it and it passes the muster make a low ball offer ( not insult ) and go from there wheelin and dealin
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

That works, people can see the pictures,
I love the black not crazy aboutthe interior color, the car looks uber stock and unmolested, normal wear item will start to wear out if you start daily driving it, it's been listed a month so I am wrong that the price is super great, otherwise it would be gone,

Start going down the line, make sure all the things work, AC, power things etc, check frame for rust issues,

With the link others will chime in with more info, if you like it and it passes the muster make a low ball offer ( not insult ) and go from there wheelin and dealin
Thanks man....did you see the editing I did w/ the updated info he furnished to me?
He said "I'm pretty firm on the $8800, but will listen to any reasonable offer"....so I was thinking around $8300.....I WILL check it ALL OVER for rust & everything I can think of!!
AGAIN....appreciate your valued input!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Read this it will help you out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Originally Posted by havesometo
Actually, I ran across that yesterday...THNX!!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 PM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read some info about the '80 being "one of the worst Vette's made"....

I guess that referred to engine power of the later model years.
Yes it is lame but that can be fixed easily.
The 80 lost a lot of weight in that production year, i don`t see what makes it "the worst".
I had a 81 4speed and gave it a mean engine, still missed an OD, but for driving fun the engine swap did the trick.

If it`s your first Corvette take your time to check out several cars before you decide, so that you find out which ones you like most.

Black is nice IF you really like black (and if you can live with the fact of having a clean car only for 15 minutes after polishing).
I have a black DD, but for a C3 i wouldn`t want one, in my opinion the black paint swallows to much of it`s curves.

When i checked out my first Vette, a white 81, it was parked aside a black `80, which i found almost "disappeared" beside the 81 (never had in mind to buy a white car, but found the bodies edges were really highlighted by the color).
But like always, that`s personal preference.
Just sayin don`t hurry with buying if your not dead-sure it is the one you want, there`s enough cars left out there
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Originally Posted by EASYGEAR
I guess that referred to engine power of the later model years.
Yes it is lame but that can be fixed easily.
The 80 lost a lot of weight in that production year, i don`t see what makes it "the worst".
I had a 81 4speed and gave it a mean engine, still missed an OD, but for driving fun the engine swap did the trick.

If it`s your first Corvette take your time to check out several cars before you decide, so that you find out which ones you like most.

Black is nice IF you really like black (and if you can live with the fact of having a clean car only for 15 minutes after polishing).
I have a black DD, but for a C3 i wouldn`t want one, in my opinion the black paint swallows to much of it`s curves.

When i checked out my first Vette, a white 81, it was parked aside a black `80, which i found almost "disappeared" beside the 81 (never had in mind to buy a white car, but found the bodies edges were really highlighted by the color).
But like always, that`s personal preference.
Just sayin don`t hurry with buying if your not dead-sure it is the one you want, there`s enough cars left out there
Appreciate the input!! I know whatcha mean 'bout the black color!
Maybe I should slow down a bit....I only started lookin' about 4 days ago!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 PM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Maybe I should slow down a bit....I only started lookin' about 4 days ago!
That`s the point !
Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 AM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

.... what i forgot to add...
that white 81 was the first Vette that i checked out.....
turned out to be a good car ( just paint quality wasn`t).
Had it for two decades.
So again no rule to it, if you really like the first Vette you check out...
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I've read some info about the '80 being "one of the worst Vette's made"...
My advice would be to change your reading material.

Order a copy.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 AM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
My advice would be to change your reading material.

Order a copy.
I'm admittedly biased, as I own a 1980... BUT... my personal opinion the 1980-1982 models were in many ways better than the rest of the C3s. Of course the power on the 1968-1974 models was better (due to less emission control junk), but the 1975-1979 models were in my opinion the low point as far as power went... and the 1980 model not only lost a lot of weight, it gained some significant aerodynamics (and in my opinion better looking) compared to the 1979 model. Don't get me wrong... the 1975-1979 Vettes are still great cars... But I personally prefer the 1980-1982 models...
Old 12-25-2014, 12:24 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
I'm admittedly biased, as I own a 1980... BUT... my personal opinion the 1980-1982 models were in many ways better than the rest of the C3s. Of course the power on the 1968-1974 models was better (due to less emission control junk), but the 1975-1979 models were in my opinion the low point as far as power went... and the 1980 model not only lost a lot of weight, it gained some significant aerodynamics (and in my opinion better looking) compared to the 1979 model. Don't get me wrong... the 1975-1979 Vettes are still great cars... But I personally prefer the 1980-1982 models...
Old 12-25-2014, 02:16 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks man....did you see the editing I did w/ the updated info he furnished to me?
He said "I'm pretty firm on the $8800, but will listen to any reasonable offer"....so I was thinking around $8300.....I WILL check it ALL OVER for rust & everything I can think of!!
AGAIN....appreciate your valued input!
Do you already have a deal with the guy on this? The reason I ask is because in your opening post you said you have the chance to buy itfor $8,400, but later you say ""I'm pretty firm on the $8800, but will listen to any reasonable offer"....so I was thinking around $8300". My guess is the price he is really after is $8,000. It is very doubtful the mileage is actually 37,000 it is more than likely 137,000. If the AC does in fact just need recharged and the headlight issue is just a simple vacuum leak he would do that before selling it because he could get more with it working. With that my offer would be $7,000. I would be very doubtful if he accepted that offer. He will more than likely come back with his real amount of $8,000. I would counter him with $7,500 which he would more than likely accept because technically it is just $500 from what he is really expecting to get. I may have only owned one Vette but I have bought and sold many cars in my time.

My 80 was listed on Craigslist for $3,800 and I walked away with it for $2,000. The problem with mine is it was stored in a garage for 20 years. The seats and carpet were toast one of the calipers wasn't even on the car, the ac compressor was in the storage compartment, the center gauges were missing and there was no battery. Along with all of that he had it stored in his Dad's garage who had to sell his house to the state because they were building a new road. One other thing he told me his wife thought the car was junk.

Get notified of new replies

To '80 c3????

Old 12-25-2014, 03:45 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I am glad you took at look at the thread regarding what to look for when you buy your first vette. That list is the bible! Trust it!

Here is my two cents worth...

Overall the pics show it to be good/very good as an unmolested car...and that is something that most of us only dream about. Most of these cars will have a history of multiple owners with various levels of skill/finances to maintain them. You need to examine the car with a very healthy amount of distrust.

Start by crawling around the engine compartment. The car will have had some work done now and again just to keep it on the road. If you notice that bolt heads are marred or show any distortion it is a fairly good indicator that someone in the past has worked on it with cheap tools. I don't mean to pick on guys that can't afford top end stuff, but generally speaking cheap tools = cheap repairs and cheap repairs WILL suck your wallet dry later on. Same goes for duct tape, wires twisted together instead of crimped or soldered, and hoses or wires that are not run properly. You don't have to be an expert on corvettes to make a good decision. Just pay attention to stuff that doesn't look right which might indicate shortcuts or low skill fixes.

Take a very close look on the underside. That is difficult cause you can't just crawl under a 'vette without getting it up on ramps or on a lift but it is something you really need to do even if you have to pay a shop to "rack" it to get a good look. How many modifications can you see? Look at the exhaust. Can you see where someone put muffler tape on it? Are the mufflers attached with quality hangars or did someone cobble together wire to hold them up? Do you see any wires hanging down? Any welds in funny places? RUST???? Any bolts missing or mismatched? Good repairs are not a problem. Low quality repairs are a nightmare.

You are going to find stuff that needs to be repaired or has been repaired. If you buy something that has been cobbled together in a few places that you can see you can be sure it is cobbled together in a few dozen more and that is going to take the fun out of the car really really fast.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that car has been repainted. Take a close look around all the door jambs, window seals, and T-tops. See if the previous owner painted it right or took shortcuts. It doesn't need to be a $20K repaint, but if it was a lazy job with over spray around the wheel wells, engine bay or window seals you can use that to judge his overall level of commitment to fixing stuff right.

Corvette prices in my neck of the woods are crazy so I won't comment on the cost. But, by what I can see in the pics it looks like a pretty decent car. At least one that you should take a closer, and skeptical, look at.

BTW - It can be helpful to take the wife or girlfriend (but never both at the same time) with you if she is not particularly happy about you getting a vette. Pretty common to get rose colored glasses looking at shiny fast cars. Someone who isn't so excited might just see stuff that you don't.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

NO, I don't have a "firm" deal yet.....he's holding it for me to come look at...it's about 250 miles 1 way I believe...from Mi/Ind border at I-69 to just east of Erie, Pa.
I'm pretty convinced that it IS only 37k, not 137k....Not REAL sure how to confirm that other than gen'l. wear & tear on upholstery, underside, etc.....and I'm pretty sure it's the original paint.
Yes, I WOULD like to see if he could take it to a garage for me to better see the underside....I'd even pay for the time of the garage....but we'll see.
I appreciate ALL the input from ALL of you!! I think you're right, I will offer him $7500 when I get there & look it over....I don't know if NOW would be the time to run that figure by him, or wait 'til I look it over????
I WILL send him a message shortly & ask him again about the mileage & paint!!
Due to the "weather".....I'm thinkin' I may have to trailer it back...and if I rent a trailer & go all the way there & find out it's not "as advertised"....I'm gonna be really pissed....already told him that....and I'm sure he understands!

ANYBODY..please feel free to make any other comments/suggestions, regarding this "possible buy" on this '80....even send to my e-mail direct if you want: vtwindog@gmail.com ("vtwin" due to my Harley!)
Thanks....AGAIN!!
Old 12-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Email sent

Quick Reply: '80 c3????