Sponsored by:

Picked up a 72'

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

It's looking great.

I have been surprised at how many belt alignment issues I'm having on builds these days. Whether new brackets or 40 year old stuff it seem that I always have to tweak something. On the last cradle I had to put an 1/8" shim between the block and the bracket at the upper mounting bolt. That made the alignment OK but still not perfect.

I see you're on the fence about fuel pumps. With my '69 and '72 once I got to around 500 FWHP I had vapor look issues on hot days and changed both over to electric fuel pumps. The newer pump gas blends boil too easily. Some people seem to get away fine with mechanical but even with insulation on the lines I had trouble.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (01-20-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
It's looking great.

I have been surprised at how many belt alignment issues I'm having on builds these days. Whether new brackets or 40 year old stuff it seem that I always have to tweak something. On the last cradle I had to put an 1/8" shim between the block and the bracket at the upper mounting bolt. That made the alignment OK but still not perfect.

I see you're on the fence about fuel pumps. With my '69 and '72 once I got to around 500 FWHP I had vapor look issues on hot days and changed both over to electric fuel pumps. The newer pump gas blends boil too easily. Some people seem to get away fine with mechanical but even with insulation on the lines I had trouble.
A shim is what I am going to have to do.....not a big deal....but like you say, it may not get it as straight as I want.....this is all GM s**t so not sure what the deal is.....the powder coating isn't that thick....

Fuel pump wise I see what you mean and this engine will be right at that 500 FWHP you speak of.....hopefully the full braided line and high mount regulator/splitter will keep the fuel cool enough......the Radiator is pretty robust and I did the Fel-Pro extra water passage mod in the block, but it is a 406.
To be seen.......

I am VERY happy with the way it is turning out though......it is already nicer than my 66' and that was the nicest car I ever owned!

Jebby
Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Got my regulator and line kit today......I was very impressed with the quality of this for the money.....even the lines came pre-assembled.
Only down side is that I will need to run one of those 11" X-treme flat air cleaners.....oh well.
Coming together.....waiting for a set of ARP intake bolts as I robbed them for a customers engine....also waiting for my -6AN stuff to plumb the Holley pump....I did some clean up on the Team-G....I will get it cinched down and then prime the motor......run the wires....etc....
I know this isn't a heavy exotic....but I picked the parts out here for a well thought out look and for functionality....

Jebby
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 03:51 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Got my regulator and line kit today......I was very impressed with the quality of this for the money.....even the lines came pre-assembled.
Only down side is that I will need to run one of those 11" X-treme flat air cleaners.....oh well.
Coming together.....waiting for a set of ARP intake bolts as I robbed them for a customers engine....also waiting for my -6AN stuff to plumb the Holley pump....I did some clean up on the Team-G....I will get it cinched down and then prime the motor......run the wires....etc....
I know this isn't a heavy exotic....but I picked the parts out here for a well thought out look and for functionality....

Jebby
Well you fired me up. I have a 69 that I am going to dial in before spring time. Mine is Black though.
You have a really nice looking fun car there.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer
Well you fired me up. I have a 69 that I am going to dial in before spring time. Mine is Black though.
You have a really nice looking fun car there.
Pics?

Jebby
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Pics?

Jebby
If I text them to you would you post them? I have no idea how to get them from my phone to the puter.
You wouldn't happen to have a 3 groove water pump pulley for sale would you?
I did a BB conversion, and I need that pulley to hook my air cond. back up.
Those wheels look really good on your car BTW what are they?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

If I text them to you would you post them? I have no idea how to get them from my phone to the puter.
You wouldn't happen to have a 3 groove water pump pulley for sale would you?
I did a BB conversion, and I need that pulley to hook my air cond. back up.
Those wheels look really good on your car BTW what are they?
Sure...text them to 210-744-8204
I do not have a pulley, sorry......post a WTB....there are a lot of dudes that may have it......
Look on e-bay...there are a few.....
here is a nice one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-C3-...-/370605327951

Jebby
Old 01-20-2016, 03:36 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Sure...text them to 210-744-8204
I do not have a pulley, sorry......post a WTB....there are a lot of dudes that may have it......
Look on e-bay...there are a few.....
here is a nice one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-C3-...-/370605327951

Jebby
That is the one I have. The one I need has 3 grooves. The car runs, and drives, I just need the third groove to run the AC compressor.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Car fired right up.......sounded great during cam break in......
I have an oil leak in the back at the china rail so I will have to reseal the intake.....the .125 gaskets can be tricky to seal front and rear.....that is what I get for deciding to install the intake in the car.

Disregard the crummy butt connectors and MSD wiring......I whipped it up for start-up.

I will drop the oil/coolant....reseal the intake.....and after bleeding the brakes.....take it for a spin!

Jebby
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-02-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 AM
a striper
Drifting

I quit using gaskets at block to intake after a one too many shifted gaskets. Looks like soon there will be some tire smoke
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by a striper
I quit using gaskets at block to intake after a one too many shifted gaskets. Looks like soon there will be some tire smoke
I did years ago as well......but the increased height of the intake due to port mismatch.....made for a big gap back there.....bigger than I thought......
The oil drain for the head back to valley is right there too.....sooooo....I will have my mirrors ready for round two.

Jebby
Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Car fired right up.......sounded great during cam break in......
I have an oil leak in the back at the china rail so I will have to reseal the intake.....the .125 gaskets can be tricky to seal front and rear.....that is what I get for deciding to install the intake in the car.

Disregard the crummy butt connectors and MSD wiring......I whipped it up for start-up.

I will drop the oil/coolant....reseal the intake.....and after bleeding the brakes.....take it for a spin!

Jebby
Looking good.Do you still have the AC stuff? Gotta stay cool ya know.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Looking good.Do you still have the AC stuff? Gotta stay cool ya know.
I do! Keeping it off for now to access that area.....
Got to have it here sometimes...

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-02-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:26 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

I fired the engine a few weeks ago and all is well.....
I had an oil leak and I am embarrassed to say that my coveted Dart heads had a leak on the upper accessory bolt...the one that hugs the head bolt on the inside. It was drilled a tad to deep and after removing the valve cover I saw the pin hole.....I plead the 5th and put a PTFE swabbed stainless button head in it. This stopped it, but not happy.
First time a set of Darts has let me down in almost 20 years.

Oh well.....moving on.....I drove it around the block.....killer power and instant response.....the old Magnum grind sounds amazing and runs very well.....I have 11 inches of vacuum.
One issue I have is that my 750HP has no vacuum ports and I only have one on the rear of the intake. I plan on purchasing an AED 4 corner plate with ports to solve this.

I will post a vid when I have more time.....
Meanwhile...a couple of things....
Some undercarriage detailing including a new pair of Poweder coated backing plates from member Teamtruett....and a new Pypes X-pipe courtesy of member bmansvette......thanks guys!

The undercarriage is a work in progress.....I will do more as time allows....I would like to have the VB&P control arms powdercoated....

Jebby
Attached Images    

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-26-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 AM
a striper
Drifting

I can't wait to hear it!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice install/combination to create power.
I can see you will have to use restraint..has to be tempting to hit the go pedal (keep an eye on the rear view mirror).
Your efforts have really paid off.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Tell me how you think it sounds
Phone ran out of memory......more vid rolling soon....
Did I happen to mention how powerful it is? LOL!

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-29-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up a 72'

Old 02-29-2016, 01:57 PM
a striper
Drifting

Sounds like a winner.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok....so I ordered and received my L-88 from ACI. I ordered it on 4/14....they had to make one.....it was done in four business days....they shipped Estes and I picked it up at the terminal on the 24th.......great service.
It came in a large cardboard box....first thing you notice is that it is about half the weight of the stock one......the fit and finish were about 9/10 as far as the part itself goes......
I bolted up the hinges....taped around the ends of the beak up front.....and set her down.....
I am impressed with the contours and gaps.....very close and not much to do there. The hood is also not duck-billed in the front center like so many I see......it does favor the front a bit...the holes in the hinges will have to be relieved about 1/8" to get it to move straight back.
This was worth the money and wanted to share for those who are pondering. If you tell them you saw it on E-Bay....you get $100 off.
This hood was $569 and $140 to ship.
One thing.....they do not sell the air chamber......I will have to pick one up. Why? I have no idea.
Any questions...feel free and shoot.
My friend and i are going to paint this and try to match the Mille Miglia red for now.....
It will also get "406" in the stock location with vintage font emblems.

Jebby
Attached Images    

Last edited by Jebbysan; 05-02-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM
stuartc53
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KYC4
Wow, looks great! Kinda cool to see a 400 under the hood of a C3. Not a common engine to find anywhere anymore. I recall when they were all the rage in the late '70s and into the '80s for awhile.

Congrats on your purchase and do keep us posted.

Later,

Lee
I had a '77 with a warmed over 400 SB. It was one fast car, that handled great. The 400 SB makes a great replacement engine, with lots of torque and can be tweaked to around 500 h.p. without too much trouble and expense. Cool car! Wise buy!

Quick Reply: Picked up a 72'