Sponsored by:

Chain fall question......

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
vetteinvt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain fall question......

I was wondering how big of a chain fall have you used to take your C3 off the chassis? Im looking to buy one but dont need overkill but dont want to skimp on one that will break when I lift it off. Also, what kind of hoist or mounting system have you built to do this outside without a garage as I dont have one to use. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteinvt
I was wondering how big of a chain fall have you used to take your C3 off the chassis? Im looking to buy one but dont need overkill but dont want to skimp on one that will break when I lift it off. Also, what kind of hoist or mounting system have you built to do this outside without a garage as I dont have one to use. Thanks.
I used an engine hoist and nylon straps on my 68. Worked very well.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Lift off

Went to Northern hardware and picked up 2 1 ton pullys. Attached them to a triple header overhead and went that route. Tall dollies allow for work underneath, lower ones if bottom is okay.
r

What ever works for your garage!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 PM
vetteinvt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats all great and everything......... but like I said, I DONT have a garage to do that in so I need to come up with another way, but thanks anyways...... nice vette btw.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Search the forum and you will find many ways to remove the body, the engine crane seems to be a fav for many. You can usually rent one at your local rent-all store, the straps can be had at your local parts store.

Dave
Old 05-26-2015, 09:30 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Well, ok then. I got the fact that you don't have a garage. If you have a level drive way, you could use an engine hoist like I did. I was just trying to provide you with an alternative to a chain fall.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

Tim at corvette-restoration.com may have just what you need. here's a link to a lifting rack he used for his frame-off:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...fting_Rack.pdf

I used a Harbor Freight 2-ton chain-fall from a beam in my garage. A 1-ton probably would've worked for the body, but I wanted a bit more capability for future uses. Price difference wasn't that bad. Tim used two chain falls, but his rack could probably be modified to just use one.

Good Luck, pretty gutsy attempting this outside...

paul

Last edited by nwav8tor; 05-31-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:25 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Three things to consider-As the body lifts to hoist arm will contact the top of the 2x4 rail, use the outer seat bolt attachment holes as major stress areas, and with a front clip in place the center of gravity will be just behind the windshield header. By using the H frame and the straps, the body can be lifted a few inches to test the balance and then it can be shifted as needed to provide a level lift. The Pucker Factor is about a six on the lift (setting it back down is an eight), but the body is really sturdy and tough to damage. On this lift (1st of 3 that I did) I used metal "L" brackets to reinforce the corners so the H wouldn't rack, but then I switched to plywood gussets in the outer corners.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

This is how I put the body back on, wish I would have done this when I took it off.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

That thing is the Granddaddy of all engine hoists!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:24 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nwav8tor
Tim at corvette-restoration.com may have just what you need. here's a link to a lifting rack he used for his frame-off:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...fting_Rack.pdf

I used a Harbor Freight 2-ton chain-fall from a beam in my garage. A 1-ton probably would've worked for the body, but I wanted a bit more capability for future uses. Price difference wasn't that bad. Tim used two chain falls, but his rack could probably be modified to just use one.

Good Luck, pretty gutsy attempting this outside...

paul
I used that same lifting rack to lift my body off. I found that mine wanted to fold forward though under stress, but x-bracing on the sides fixed that. I used 2 1-ton chain hoists off the lifting beam.

Get notified of new replies

To Chain fall question......

Quick Reply: Chain fall question......