Sponsored by:

Need advice: Repairing the holes left from removal of rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need advice: Repairing the holes left from removal of rear spoiler

I recently removed my factory installed spoiler and plan on repairing/filling the holes, and then repainting. Just a few questions / advice needed on getting rid of the factory holes left by the spoiler: I plan on cleaning underneath the rear deck really well, roughing it up with sandpaper, and then using either fiberglass mat or cloth with gel resin on the underside of the deck, and then filling the holes with Vette panel/adhesive filler from Evercoat. So good so far? Any opinions or suggestions on different methods?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 79C3tnd
...So good so far?...
So far half good. A correct repair would be to lay up patches on each side of the panel. With the underside patches in place, dish grind the mounting holes from the top side and lay up top side patches.

Use matte, not cloth for these repairs.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

How big are the holes? Just bolt holes, right?

Get some milled fiberglass. Go to a boat store that sells fiberglass. 10 mil and 20 mil is good. Some automotive paint shops will have it or know where to get it. It will look like powder.
DO NOT BREATHE THIS STUFF!
Do NOT get it in your eyes!

Grind a little around the underside.

Chamfer the top of the hole slightly.

Apply the fiberglass matte patch to the underside and support with wax paper with masking tape to hold it (or a small board or cardboard or ??). Do not use a lot of resin.

In the resin that squeezes in the hole on top, pour in some milled fiberglass and mix well with a toothpick. It should look thick almost like paste.

Squeeze this flat with more wax paper.

After it cures, remove the wax paper, and block sand both sides.

Let it sit under heat/UV lamps or put it in the sun for several days. You want it to shrink BEFORE you paint it.

Most repairs have far too much resin in them. This makes an obvious "smooth" spot and it also shrinks worse than high fiberglass content.

Also, most rush, and since it is hard and can be sanded in less than an hour, they think they are ready to paint. Then weeks later, they notice distortions in the surface where the repair is.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I am assuming this is a 79? If so I would use epoxy resin and not the standard polyester resin. I have had problems with polyester resin and SMC, which is what your panel is made of, not bonding together well.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:10 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Yes, it is a 79... thanks to everyone for the advice so far!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used polyester resin on my 74 with no issues. I wouldn't be worried about it
Old 06-16-2015, 05:12 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Condo_454C3
I've used polyester resin on my 74 with no issues. I wouldn't be worried about it

Did I just hear that can of worms open again.

I honestly never had any problems using that.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I will CLOSE that 'can of worms' by writing that if 'people' think that the body material of a 1974 is the same...through ALL the years and up to what is used today...GUESS AGAIN....and knowing WHEN to use the correct resin...well.....I 'guess' those 'people' will find out.

DUB
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You can try to close that can o' worms all you want but it will always pop open again for many reasons,
I have seen more fiberglass repairs Vettes, kit cars, boats, etc than I can remember work out just fine with no consideration to resin type.
While no one into the "know" will argue that materials changed during the run of "corvettes" and the right as in compatable product is best people, mostly hobbyists but even some self proclaimed less savvy professionals have used whatever products they had or got a hold of and the end results ranged from hack job to passable but then many other times the repairs came out super nice and lasted so when a cat chimes in that he/she used the "wrong" product but their repair is just fine, other things to consider are prep and the persons inherent skills, but I am not going to damn the cat for trying.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I will CLOSE that 'can of worms' by writing that if 'people' think that the body material of a 1974 is the same...through ALL the years and up to what is used today...GUESS AGAIN....and knowing WHEN to use the correct resin...well.....I 'guess' those 'people' will find out.

DUB
I never said it is what was used today only that it worked on my 74 with no problems. I'm not sure why you are putting the word people into quotes? Are you implying that individuals using polyester based resin aren't people? Do you mind informing me what the differences in materials are from 68-82? I am very very pleased with how my car turned out. I will include before/after pictures in a moment

Before

After

Last edited by Condo_454C3; 06-17-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I would.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-17-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Do you mind explaining why?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

I never said it is what was used today only that it worked on my 74 with no problems.
I NEVER wrote that you stated that all 'SMC' is the same. I was just stating that there is a difference...for those who may not realize it.

I never wrote that what you used was wrong...it is/was your choice. I am not here to judge you.

I'm not sure why you are putting the word people into quotes? Are you implying that individuals using polyester based resin aren't people?
Putting people in ( ' ' ) is something I do. Those members here on the Forum know what I mean by it. You are reading into this in a way I can not begin to figure out. It is not and was not in any way an attack towards you.....and that people who use polyester resin aren't people...is like stating that I am not a person. I use polyester resin on Corvettes I feel require it.

Do you mind informing me what the differences in materials are from 68-82?
Search the Forum...this has been commented on in the past....if it is that important to you. I do not have time to find it and send you the posts.....but it is out there.

Originally Posted by The13Bats

You can try to close that can o' worms all you want but it will always pop open again for many reasons,
I have seen more fiberglass repairs Vettes, kit cars, boats, etc than I can remember work out just fine with no consideration to resin type.
Lucky them.....from FIRST HAND experience...I have encountered resins being able to literally pop right off the panel with very little persuasion even though all prep was correctly preformed. And YES...the tech rep from the company did it also and it also popped off....so it was just NOT me doing something wrong. It had to do with incompatibility.

While no one into the "know" will argue that materials changed during the run of "corvettes" and the right as in compatable product is best people, mostly hobbyists but even some self proclaimed less savvy professionals have used whatever products they had or got a hold of and the end results ranged from hack job to passable but then many other times the repairs came out super nice and lasted so when a cat chimes in that he/she used the "wrong" product but their repair is just fine, other things to consider are prep and the persons inherent skills, but I am not going to damn the cat for trying.
Not that is matters.....as I have written...I do not care what a person uses on their car. I am not here to judge them. I only comment on things from a different perspective...and often time will expand on it so if someone who does not know anything..does not read into it a different way and possibly make the wrong decision in what to use....BECAUSE they think that all Corvettes are made out of the same material. I write a lot of this for people who do not know anything about bodywork and paint....BUT want to do it themselves. And having 30 years of experience and TOTAL CATASTROPHIC FAILURES under my belt....I try to pass this information along as a guide. I have tried so many different ways and have found what works for me and does not fail. I have seen 'Plaster of Paris' used for repairs...and I guess that was OK for them. But it is something I would not use or endorse. I have encountered 'Liquid Nails' used for a repair....once again...They used what they had at the time to fix their own car...but yet I got paid to re-do the work for obvious reasons. The list can go on and on.

DUB
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Not sure how it matters...I also have 30 plus years doing 'glass, I have a 69 front clip ready to pop out of a mold tomorrow, I can also do lead and metal, the cool part for me is I never did it for a living when meant didn't have to "worry" so much and I have never gotten to the point I feel my way is the only way or I don't have room to learn.
I too have seen things ranging from chicken wire to road signs used or repairs, and did you know people like Barris and Starbird loved to use Plaster for one off bucks for fiberglass molds?

That is pretty bad when a company tech reps mucks it up and can't get their product to work I bet that cat lost his job quickly and you sure didn't buy materials from that company or was he just wasting a lot of time/money showing that it wouldn't work

I unlike some here I do not try to sell my way of doing it in this thread I just made the comment that I have seen all kinds of mismatched mucked up body work turn out just fine and last, I have also seen it fail, when you made your comment about knowing when to use correct resin and those who do not will find out was pretty much cutting it in stone and slamming a door. and writing people as "people" sure did look like you were trying to belittle any group who didn't follow your every word to a tee.

Please do not get the idea that I am saying using matching materials isn't the "best" way I am just pointing out lots of people do not do it "best" and have still good results.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Dub I did not consider it an attack. I was hoping that since you seemed firm on your point you would know enough to give me a quick briefing instead of me having to sift through the crap to find the good posts.

EDIT: Bats, those molds look very nice. Good job
Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not sure how it matters...I also have 30 plus years doing 'glass, I have a 69 front clip ready to pop out of a mold tomorrow, I can also do lead and metal, the cool part for me is I never did it for a living when meant didn't have to "worry" so much and I have never gotten to the point I feel my way is the only way or I don't have room to learn.
KNOWING that I can see who you are writing these 'back handed comments' to.

It seems to be an ongoing thing with you. OBVIOUSLY you can NOT READ what I write...or have written in the past. WHERE did I write that it is MY way or NO way???? WHERE....UHHH----NO WHERE!!!! WELL...GO AHEAD...do it for a living ...all the time.....fail and try many different ways of doing 'something' so ti will not fail....then when you find a procedure that WORKS ...GO AHEAD and change that procedure. See what happens. So do not EVEN begin to think that I do not try different things....but when I have a process that has 0% failure rate...why would I want to change it a process that open up the door for failure. BECAUSE ...TRUST ME...I HAVE TRIED more ways of doing things that you can imagine. Jump out there in the automotive collision repair industry and put your backside on the line and then come back to me and tell me all about it. Once again...you do not know anything about me....that is evident...once again. OH...by the way...you do know ethylene glycol coolant IS also flammable. I KEEP AN OPEN MIND...DO YOU? The difference is... I know when to not entertain an idea.

I too have seen things ranging from chicken wire to road signs used or repairs, and did you know people like Barris and Starbird loved to use Plaster for one off bucks for fiberglass molds?
Necessity is the 'mother' of all invention. So it does not surprise me that people can find a use for just about anything.

That is pretty bad when a company tech reps mucks it up and can't get their product to work I bet that cat lost his job quickly and you sure didn't buy materials from that company or was he just wasting a lot of time/money showing that it wouldn't work
One thing you are good for is commenting on something you know NOTHING about...even though you have an opinion on something you know nothing about. YES...I buy the materials..and KNOW where to use them and where NOT to use them. That is what a professional does.... we KNOW things. And NO..he did not lose his job. Actually...the rep and company were very interested in why there was a problem. It took some time....but the problem was found. Actually they thanked me for bringing it to their attention....instead of just switching to something else.

I unlike some here I do not try to sell my way of doing it in this thread I just made the comment that I have seen all kinds of mismatched mucked up body work turn out just fine and last, I have also seen it fail, when you made your comment about knowing when to use correct resin and those who do not will find out was pretty much cutting it in stone and slamming a door.
ONCE again....you do not comprehend what I write...OR...choose not to comprehend what I write. AS I WROTE....I do not care what someone uses...I DO NOT JUDGE..(unlike you).because you do not do this for a living and thus do MANY, MANY cars...thus INCREASING the chance of FAILURE....I KNOW what to use. All I do is pass along a different perspective..(like I have written many times)...which OBVIOUSLY you just have to 'find' something to pick at. And "FOR THE RECORD"..I am NOT selling anything.

and writing people as "people" sure did look like you were trying to belittle any group who didn't follow your every word to a tee.
NO...your brain is in an area that just wants to find the bad in something...I am almost convinced of it. You do not have the ability to grasp the intent of how I wrote what I wrote. You are so far off the mark...you are not even in this galaxy with your thoughts on this. Typical. 'People' was referring to those PEOPLE who are part of a collective of PEOPLE who KNOW or want to KNOW....THUS...ALL of those who READ THIS POST. HENCE...why you are so far of the mark on this. NOT EVERYTHING I write is a self centered, opinionated, 'only my way of doing it' comment. IF you COMPREHEND it that way..I can not help you....and TRUST ME..I do not want to. But you seems to like to jab at people when you feel the need.

Please do not get the idea that I am saying using matching materials isn't the "best" way I am just pointing out lots of people do not do it "best" and have still good results.
OHHH...Now you get 'real'. Too Late...after all of your 'digs'...it is kinda hard to excuse you for any of your opinions of what you think. AND..why would those people NOT want to know a better way???...if they had a chance or someone tried what they used and had failures....WHY would not someone be KIND ENOUGH to pass that information along. AND if the person chose not to use that information...FINE.

DUB
Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 AM
79C3tnd
Pro

You know what guys? I asked a simple question and was hoping for a few informed simple answers. This is fiberglass, not rocket science or brain surgery. For those that gave me informed, to-the-point answers, let me say thank you once again. To the rest of you that want to get into a pissing contest regarding who knows more about this subject or other subjects, do me a favor and pm each other, but leave it out of my thread. If some of the people on this forum would check their egos and their holier-than-thou big heads at the door, it would be a much more enjoyable forum. I get a lot of useful I formation here, but lately there seems to be a trend toward the kind of behavior above. Perhaps it is time for me to move on to another Corvette forum and leave this drama and childish behavior behind...

So, if anyone else has something constructive to add, I would love to hear your input. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice: Repairing the holes left from removal of rear spoiler

Old 06-19-2015, 10:12 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh, stop the bickering!

One final thought, let the patch age before you paint to allow for any cure shrinkage.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Shrinkage! Was the car in the pool?

Quick Reply: Need advice: Repairing the holes left from removal of rear spoiler