Sponsored by:

Opinions on car storage options

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Opinions on car storage options

I recently took to opportunity to take a position overseas for a few years and have to make a decision on how I am going to store my Corvette.
One option is to place it in professional storage where my company will pay for it but it is stored in a large warehouse and started once a month. Concerned with people touching my car.
Other option is just a storage place that it would sit untouched but I would have to pay the bill.
What is everyone's thoughts?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Where are you going to store the car? That makes a BIG difference. Up in my neck of the woods leaving a car untouched in a self storage would be the kiss of death, it would become a condo complex for 4 legged critters. Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mac79vette
...What is everyone's thoughts?...
The questioin is which method do you prefer and not so much what any of us would do.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 AM
xhartman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The questioin is which method do you prefer and not so much what any of us would do.

Of the two options the company paid warehouse is the better. Fingerprints aren't too big of a deal.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
One option is to place it in professional storage where my company will pay for it but it is stored in a large warehouse and started once a month. Concerned with people touching my car.
Starting it once a month is the worst thing you can do to a car in storage.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Heus
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Starting it once a month is the worst thing you can do to a car in storage.
I absolutely agree. Unless the car is brought up to operating temperature every time, which is unlikely. Good way to introduce lots of condensation into the oil.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Jazzyced
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the professional storage. Make sure their and your insurance understand what is going to happen.
I looked at a couple in my area and they were clean, well maintained, and safe. They had some very expensive cars stored for the winter there (Ferrari, Lamb etc...). My only issue was the price.
If it is paid for you, I would not hesitate.

These places are usually quite flexible and if you ask for them not to turn the engine on, they will be happy to oblige. They also usually trickle charge your battery as part of the plan.
Some pick up and deliver the car to you on a flat bed truck at your demand.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

***Professional opinion and perspective****

Consider your Corvette like a world class race horse that just won you the Kentucky Derby. If it had...and you have to go overseas...what would you do for the horse??? Would you stick it in its stall and let no one care for it at all...because the horse is 'your baby' and you do not want anyone touching it while you are gone?

There is a lot more than just cranking the engine and getting it to operating temps. That is only ONE dynamic that needs to be considered.

Now...if you are the type who does not want anyone touching their car....then let it sit and deal with the 'drama' when you get back and get it running again. Because ...trust me...there will be something that you will need to deal with. the oddsa re stacked against you.

So...if this professional storage facility does MORE than cranking the engine....if it were me....knowing that they are insured.....I would allow them to crank it and actually move it around. So tires do not get 'flat -spotted'....and your caliper seals do not begin to leak for sitting for so long....and actually adding fresh gas and oil if needed.

There is a chance...depending on how long you are gone...that some maintenance and service work may be required....so I would not be surprised if something comes up.. And...if you feel that they can provide you with that...and you can live with that...then decide.

DUB
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you thought about any good friends or family to watch the Vette?

Sad but happy in the end story

My friend Jimmy inherited his dads 97 C5 in 2002 when his dad died suddenly of a grabber. He drove the car for one season, before he was deployed by the Marines to Iraq. He picked me up in her for our last beer before he left, my 69' at the time was getting nursed back to health.
At the close of the night, he gave me the keys and told me I was the only one he trusted to take care of it. I did not have a family at the time and said sure, but was shocked.
His dad worked at a gravel and material plant and the bottom of the 97 was filthy dirty, over the course of a year I completely cleaned the chassis and suspension, wheels, engine and interior. I fixed little things it needed and drove it every couple of weeks to keep it in good running condition. I never beat my cars, or rentals, let alone my buddies who was defending my freedom for Christ sake.
Before his return I had the car completly wet sanded and detailed, and then took it to a friend who worked at a Chevy dealership for a complete fluid change, I told them what I was up to and they did all the stuff for free. It looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor!
When he came back and I opened the garage, he cried for an hour and couldn't believe it. He was wounded in combat had his back fused, still grieving the loss of his dad. He needed this!
He still has the car and always brings it up when we see each other. It is still in show quality condition to this day.

I hope the best for you and the Vette too.

How much to ship it to where your going? Is this a possibility?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Go with the pro storage and put the car in a Car Capsule. They can take it out easily enough to get it moving once in a while and no one will put anything on it. Dust free, moisture free, bug and rodent free.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ot-Car-Capsule
Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I had two cars stored for three years, both were stored in a warehouse. They were never started. When I drove them to the warehouse, I removed the batteries and drained the carb bowls. When I returned three years later, I installed new batteries and started the engines. Each smoked profusely for about a minute or so. I assume the rings were re-seating. When the smoking stopped, I drove them home with no signs of wear.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Heus
I absolutely agree. Unless the car is brought up to operating temperature every time, which is unlikely. Good way to introduce lots of condensation into the oil.
I don't drive my 68 that much. I start it about once a month. I always idle the engine until it comes up to temperature and I can hear the electric fan come on. I idle and and run the engine at ~2000 pms for a while also. You need to get the engine up to thermostat temp and also get the exhaust pipes to above 212 degrees F to get rid of water condensate in the exhaust pipes. I have alcohol free gas in it...here in California I had to buy expensive high octane gasoline to get alcohol free...about $10 a gallon. I also move it back and forth a few feet to re-wet the bearings. I also turn the steering wheel back and forth a little to lubricate the seals in the power steering ram.

I don't do it as a matter of course, but once I sprayed the rotors with WD-40 to keep them from rusting. When I drove the car on the street, I was surprised that the WD-40 didn't effect braking!

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-28-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I don't drive my 68 that much. I start it about once a month. I always idle the engine until it comes up to temperature and I can hear the electric fan come on. I idle and and run the engine at ~2000 pms for a while also. You need to get the engine up to thermostat temp and also get the exhaust pipes to above 212 degrees F to get rid of water condensate in the exhaust pipes. I have alcohol free gas in it...here in California I had to buy expensive high octane gasoline to get alcohol free...about $10 a gallon. I also move it back and forth a few feet to re-wet the bearings. I also turn the steering wheel back and forth a little to lubricate the seals in the power steering ram.

I don't do it as a matter of course, but once I sprayed the rotors with WD-40 to keep them from rusting. When I drove the car on the street, I was surprised that the WD-40 didn't effect braking!
Unless you put the vehile under load (i.e. drive it on the roads), letting it sit and idle for however long will not bring the entire powertrain up to operation temperature. The water temperature and the exhaust pipes are not indicative of what is happening in the cylinder case.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

The general consensus is correct: Go with the professional storage, but forgoe the 'once a month' start up. I live in Upstate NY where we store cars for 5-6 months a year, and Ive been deployed overseas as well.......I know the ins and outs of storage. Like the others have said, periodic garage starting your engine does nothing but produce moisture. The correct way to store it is to add a $hitload of fuel preservative (The red STP stuff), drive the car a few miles to get it in the carb and park it. You may or may not be able to drain the bowls, depending on your carb. Then disconnect the battery and kiss it goodnight. Take a CLOSE look at the storage facility....look in the corners for mouse droppings, small tufts of insulation and nut shells. Mice are your absolute worst enemy. Id rather leave a car covered by a tarp outside than in barn with mice.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
***Professional opinion and perspective****

So...if this professional storage facility does MORE than cranking the engine....if it were me....knowing that they are insured.....I would allow them to crank it and actually move it around. So tires do not get 'flat -spotted'....and your caliper seals do not begin to leak for sitting for so long....and actually adding fresh gas and oil if needed.

DUB
Really?

I stored a car for over a year at a professional warehouse, and they did not have the keys.

I parked the car, removed the battery and a few "key items" so the car could no start. And that was it for over a year.

Never would I let anyone with the key, permission to drive the car around, and do some maintenance. No way. This is just asking for trouble.

They moved the car around on dollies as needed, and that was it.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on car storage options

Quick Reply: Opinions on car storage options