Sponsored by:

Underhood wiring harness '68 vs '69+

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:53 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Underhood wiring harness '68 vs '69+

I finally gave up on sorting the butchered wiring and disintegrating connectors on my '68-ish car. (I say "-ish" because almost nothing is original '68.) So I ordered a Lectric engine harness (along with the dash harness) for a '68 from Willcox. But now I'm wondering if I should have ordered a different year. The wiper motor that was in the car wasn't complete, so I got a used one from (I think) a '70. Also all the wiper door stuff was gone, so I got all of it from a later car as well. After watching some of the Willcox videos (great videos, btw!), I'm concerned I'm going to have a heck of a time getting everything to work.
Am I going to have problems? If so, would I be better off to see I can swap the harness for a '69 or '70? Or hunt down a '68 wiper motor? What else will I need if I kept the '68 harness (maybe wiper door stuff?)??
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by E.Murray
I finally gave up on sorting the butchered wiring and disintegrating connectors on my '68-ish car. (I say "-ish" because almost nothing is original '68.) So I ordered a Lectric engine harness (along with the dash harness) for a '68 from Willcox. But now I'm wondering if I should have ordered a different year. The wiper motor that was in the car wasn't complete, so I got a used one from (I think) a '70. Also all the wiper door stuff was gone, so I got all of it from a later car as well. After watching some of the Willcox videos (great videos, btw!), I'm concerned I'm going to have a heck of a time getting everything to work.
Am I going to have problems? If so, would I be better off to see I can swap the harness for a '69 or '70? Or hunt down a '68 wiper motor? What else will I need if I kept the '68 harness (maybe wiper door stuff?)??
Thanks!
I gave up on my dash and firewall harnesses also after a year of shorts, smoke, and no-starts. It was worth the cost (I ALWAYS try to repair things first).
Just don't modify the new harnesses....and then realize that they still won't work....they will be un-returnable if they are altered.
Buy a '68 wiring diagram that is in color....it will make tracing wires a lot easier. Study it....then you can decide if you need to return the '68 harnesses for '69 or '70 harnesses.
I think that the '68 wiper motor is wired the opposite of later wiper motors....maybe Willcox has a wiring diagram of how to modify the '68 wiring for the '70 w. motor.
As for the wiper door......that's a project in itself (the previous owner of my car removed the door and all it's devices/maybe I should thank him!)
Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The wiper motor for a 1968 is different. So the wiring harness is made for a 1968. If you feel you can not find a 1968 wiper motor...then get the harness swapped out of a 1969-1972 harness.

The problem may be in how the wires that connect at the bulkhead being in different locations if you switch a 1968 engine harness to a 69-on...( I do not have my diagrams at home to compare) AND....if you have 1968 dash wiring harness...it has to be that way due to the ignition switch is in the dash and not on the steering column.

DUB
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

It also depends on what type of alternator you have. The 68 had an external voltage regulator. The 69 forward headlight wiring is different only due to the alternator wiring and two extra wires for the headlamp up switches. I have installed a 69 forward wiring harness on my 68 coupe. I think that it would be safer to get a 68 engine wiring harness. Lou.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:07 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Some very good points.
DUB, I didn't even think about the steering column. I have a later one with the ignition in the column. Which means my $500 dash harness won't work either. Arrrgh...
And Lou, I still have the '68 alternator setup with the external regulator, which (aparently now) would be a problem if I just asked for a '69-'72 harness. Double arrrgh....
Doorgunner, I'm trying to "fix" it - adding all the screwey wiper door stuff back to a car that had it all removed. Maybe your way is better...
That's (crazily enough) why I love classic cars. Always something interesting. But, seriously, what would you do in my situation?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
The wiper motor for a 1968 is different. So the wiring harness is made for a 1968. If you feel you can not find a 1968 wiper motor...then get the harness swapped out of a 1969-1972 harness.

The problem may be in how the wires that connect at the bulkhead being in different locations if you switch a 1968 engine harness to a 69-on...( I do not have my diagrams at home to compare) AND....if you have 1968 dash wiring harness...it has to be that way due to the ignition switch is in the dash and not on the steering column.

DUB
The 68 wiper motor is significantly different than a 69 and up. You cannot just install a 69 wiper motor with a 69 harness on your 68!!!!!! The 69 wiper system had windshield wiper components that were missing on the 68. You need to add these components. I think a key element was a vacuum switch that indicated the wipers were in a down position..this switch was missing on the 68.

I think replacing the 68 windshield wiper system with a 69 is a good idea. The 68 was very unreliable as far as I know..it is with my 68.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:12 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

E. Murray, The 69-up alternator is all self contained and a lot easier and cheaper to obtain.
You are going to have to decide which way to go. You might be better off getting a 68 steering column, due to the wiper system.
If your left hand dash pad has been changed to a 69, and you already have a new 69 dash harness, and you have a 69 steering column, then just change your alternator setup and get a new 69 engine harness. The 68 wiper panel would work without the extra vacuum switch on the linkage. Make sure to get a 69 wiper motor, also. Lou.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:14 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Willcox sells new wiper motors now, quite reasonable. Lou.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:20 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Since I have a '69+ left dash and steering column and '69+ wiper door system, I think swapping the alternator and going with the later wiring harness for both engine and dash is the best way to go. Thanks once again for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Underhood wiring harness '68 vs '69+

Quick Reply: Underhood wiring harness '68 vs '69+